Talk

Advanced search

To think MN is like The Daily Hate?

(21 Posts)
MarcoPoloCX Thu 30-Jul-15 06:20:04

I am beginning to think MN is getting more and more like the Daily Mail.
You start a thread and people will only read and take in the bit they want and if there's any bit they disagree with, they bitch and rip you to threads. People twist your words and exaggerate and you're having to go back and explain yourself in greater detail. I thought this a discussion forum and not a place where people aim to take the moral high ground.

Sighing Thu 30-Jul-15 06:24:41

The Daily Fail isn't a two (or more) way process. It's hate in one direction. MN gives voice to enough clashing points of view you could potentially be ripped apart for calling the sky clear, rather than blue.

Inkanta Thu 30-Jul-15 06:30:36

No doubt about it MN attracts the keyboard warrior in folk. And we're coming up to a full moon tomorrow! Blue moon actually. smile

paxtecum Thu 30-Jul-15 06:38:53

I agree with you.
If you don't plan to LTB who you have put up with for years, in the next hour then you are told you are a disgraceful mother.

Women from different classes get treated very differently on here.

Replies to a woman from a poor background, living in a dysfunctional family can be extremely harsh and unpleasant. Not helpful at all.

A woman with similar problems but obviously very middle class gets treated with greater respect.

Iggly Thu 30-Jul-15 06:41:17

I disagree actually <misses point>

There will always be those who skim threads and argue. But generally, people give good advice.

The daily mail is an awful website which preys on cheap celebrity. Mn is made up of various real people who are posting about their lives. How is that the same?

DirtyMugPolice Thu 30-Jul-15 07:06:36

Quite a new poster to MN. On my first thread the first reply called me a cunt sad

Ok that was a bit of hate , but overall it seems like a varied, interesting and supportive community. There's more opinions from more walks of life, I'm the kind of person to appreciate all views but know not everyone is so liberal! But that makes it more interesting.

MrsWembley Thu 30-Jul-15 07:10:46

hmm

biscuit

TheyGotTheMustardOut Thu 30-Jul-15 07:16:49

The flip side is an OP who can't take in the advice being offered. This isn't a site where you just get everyone gathering around and say whatever you do is fine.

If an OP ask a question they had better expect honest answers; why ask a question if you can't handle honest answers?

Since this AIBU, YABU.

Spartans Thu 30-Jul-15 07:17:08

There are some posters that I can imagine working at the DM as they have an ability to pick out certains bits, whilst ignoring those pesky details!!!!

But it's a forum, with a cross section of society. So obviously there will be people like that. Because there are people like that in RL. It's doesnt make MN the same as the DM, though.

DirtyMugPolice Thu 30-Jul-15 07:20:24

I agree with Spartans. There are plenty of forums where people will agree with whatever you say and reply 'YANBU hun'

1Morewineplease Thu 30-Jul-15 07:21:20

I'm a frequent lurker, occasional poster and have only ever started one light-hearted thread but I'm inclined to agree with you OP. Many's the time I've read the opening post and by three pages in , some folk have lost the original meaning , gone off at a tangent and even started squabbling with each other... Which really isn't helpful to the original poster who may have agonised over public broadcast of a very real and sometimes painful issue.
However calling someone the C word is not on but I do wonder if some MNers have come onto a thread, maybe after a bad day or worse for wear and just feel like a rant or a poke. I know I have but hope that I have never been unkind to anyone!
Alas MN is such a large forum and so I don't think that these issues will ever go away. Thank goodness most folk on here will give their best opinions whether needed or not.

duplodon Thu 30-Jul-15 07:24:04

Ooh. What is a blue moon?

chicaguapa Thu 30-Jul-15 07:36:46

YANBU. Sometimes the anonymity enables posters to put across the most negative & goady views. I often have to remind myself that posters on here are not reflective of my peer group and that the whole world is not like that. hmm

But there are some very funny and witty people on MN that make it a joy to read. Plus the support a lot of people get on the relationship and special needs board is invaluable to those who need it. I personally get a lot from the threads about stories in the news and the very informative posts from people who understand what's going on. Getting different views is useful in that regard unless it's a teacher bashing thread grin

AuntyMag10 Thu 30-Jul-15 07:41:55

Yanbu, posters here seem to look down on the dm, yet are always posting links from there. The comments section on there seem far kinder, and posters wiser.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Thu 30-Jul-15 08:10:03

There are always going to be posters who profess to 'telling it like it is' and ' that's my opinion, it's an anonymous forum' and such like.

For 5 goady twats there are many more rational, kind posters who read the thread properly, don't dive in just to insult and who are supportive.

That's not to say you shouldn't pull up someone posting a deliberately contentious thread.

AIBU does attract tossers looking for a scrap that's a known fact.

mamasilla Thu 30-Jul-15 20:32:09

Absolutely OP - not a nice place to post (unless you can totally stand being ripped apart regardless what you say)

Inkanta Thu 30-Jul-15 20:35:52

duplodon

Oh - a blue moon means 2 full moons in the same month! smile

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 30-Jul-15 20:37:30

You do need a thick skin, people getting their heads bitten off all over the place.

usualsuspect333 Thu 30-Jul-15 20:42:42

There are some right odd posters on here just lately.

Dunno what's going on.

Sparklingbrook Thu 30-Jul-15 21:00:58

There's some weird posters about but I just assume school holidays. Use the report button and the Hide Thread function.
Also use the 'Hide Topics' function, if you hide AIBU as a topic it greatly improves the Mn experience.

Tryingtokeepalidonit Thu 30-Jul-15 21:16:13

No I had to post about a difficult situation in Relationships earlier this week and only experienced kindness, reassurance and support. However I have seen some nasty people posting, just like I have met nasty people in RL.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now