Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Vegetarianism

(38 Posts)
AlwaysSpoiled34 Thu 30-Jul-15 03:31:17

Thinking about changing my diet. How many of you are vegetarian? It is very ethical diet and can be very healthy.

UrethraFranklin1 Thu 30-Jul-15 03:32:44

and your aibu is....?

AlwaysSpoiled34 Thu 30-Jul-15 03:39:41

Why people have to eat so much meat?

ShowMeYourTARDIS Thu 30-Jul-15 03:43:18

Because it's delicious?

If you want to be veggie, go for it.

AlwaysSpoiled34 Thu 30-Jul-15 03:50:55

I think it is too extreme. I want to have a balanced diet. I will eat lots of vegetables. From time to time some meat, but only at home.

BadLad Thu 30-Jul-15 04:29:40

I eat meat because the best part of any meal is the meat or fish, for me.

Fortunately there are lots of all-you-can-eat meat restaurants here.

You eat whatever you like.

DoreenLethal Thu 30-Jul-15 05:31:06

Eat what you want. But if you eat meat, or fish, you are not a vegetarian.

HTH. .

Spartans Thu 30-Jul-15 05:33:49

If you want to be ethical, it's better to stick to eating locally.

Use local farms for veg and meat etc. grow some of you own veg.

People forget the damage that transporting food causes to the planet.

PressEscape Thu 30-Jul-15 05:56:10

Go for it! Best thing I ever did.

FishWithABicycle Thu 30-Jul-15 06:20:46

I'm vegetarian but I don't think it's particularly ethical as the fact I eat dairy and eggs means I share responsibility for industrialised meat processes that have to exist to keep the egg and milk products in the shops. Veganism is more properly ethical but I don't have the determination for that.

TiredButFine Thu 30-Jul-15 07:09:15

I'm veggie but I don't actually like meat or fish so it's no big effort on my part.
I have a lot of friends who eat meat and fish if they are at a restaurant but rarely buy it to cook at home. For instance lots of carnivores happily swap quorn mince for real as they say it's virtually the same in a pie/chilli except it's cheaper and healthier

DirtyMugPolice Thu 30-Jul-15 07:13:14

If you eat meat you're not a vegetarian? #baffled

Yabu. I think.

londonrach Thu 30-Jul-15 07:15:16

Tried. Quorn isnt a food source (i believe its banned in some usa states). agree with doreen eat what you what. Its your decision. I personally like meat and fish as much as veg so eat all. Mind you im not a fan of bananas so dont eat them. Very strange textile and smell.

PressEscape Thu 30-Jul-15 07:17:15

Quorn isn't banned in some US states! What a load of rubbish!!

PtolemysNeedle Thu 30-Jul-15 07:27:20

I'm a new veggie, only been going for a few months but I'm loving it and it's much easier than I thought it was going to be. I started off like you, thinking I might eat meat occasionally, but I haven't and the longer I've gone on, the more certain I am that I don't want to eat meat again.

00100001 Thu 30-Jul-15 07:29:09

I still don't get why this is on AIBU confused

londonrach Thu 30-Jul-15 07:30:53

Me neither 001.

LilyMayViolet Thu 30-Jul-15 07:37:08

I was veggie for about 10 years. I didn't feel healthier at all. I feel much better now that I eat a bit of meat too. For me the main problem was protein. Quorn etc didn't agree with me and neither did beans so I would often miss out the protein part of meals.

CuttedUpPear Thu 30-Jul-15 07:40:38

I'm a vegetarian who objects to the use of AIBU for every little thought that crosses anyone's mind.

londonrach Thu 30-Jul-15 07:42:53

Cuttingup grin. So aibu to not eat bananas as i really dont like the smell and textile..fgrin

00100001 Thu 30-Jul-15 07:43:54

pear put it up on AIBU!! wink

AIBU to think that AIBU shouldn't be used for every little thought that crosses anyone's mind??

grin

lighteningirl Thu 30-Jul-15 07:45:24

Since when was Quorn banned anywhere? op if you want to eat ethically remember to give up milk and dairy as Fish says. An how can a desire to eat a balanced diet be on aibu?

ValancyJane Thu 30-Jul-15 07:48:34

I was vegetarian for ten years from 8 until I was 18 and found it pretty straightforward (even now at 28 I don't eat a lot of meat beyond chicken maybe once a week, sometimes bacon or tuna and the very occasional bit of chorizo/salami). Most of my meals are vegetarian. Unlike some others on this thread I really don't mind quorn and the cauldron products, there's a really good selection nowadays.

As others have said, don't know how ethical it is really when you think about food transportation, eggs and dairy etc. I think just how ethical you want to go is your choice!

00100001 Thu 30-Jul-15 07:51:42

are you all missing the bit where she says she's going to be vegetarian, but still eat meat???

Spartans Thu 30-Jul-15 07:59:20

001 I assumed the OP meant they were debating what to do. Vegetarian or just cut down, iyswim.

Still not sure what the aibu is though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now