Talk

Advanced search

Best children's houses are those they build themselves

(34 Posts)
Hannahouse Wed 29-Jul-15 08:07:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BrianButterfield Wed 29-Jul-15 08:10:58

Well I would have adored that as a child, and even as an adult.

Imagination comes in making it a house, a castle (ok, he has his own...), a schoolroom, command centre, fire station, police station, underground hideout...

Imagination comes in sleeping out there and thinking what you can hear outside...

If I had the money I'd buy one for children and they'd have a whale of a time!

Idontseeanydragons Wed 29-Jul-15 08:54:42

My DC's would love that and it given the huge age gaps it would be guaranteed to be the one thing they would all enjoy! smile
Nothing wrong with it, he can be anything he wants in there as he gets older.

StarlingMurmuration Wed 29-Jul-15 08:59:24

Surely it's just the same as a plastic wendyhouse, or a treehouse etc? He'll exercise his imagination while he's playing in there.

Spartans Wed 29-Jul-15 09:30:27

Since it was gifted to them, it doesn't really matter does it?

I wouldn't turn down a present because the kids could build their own. In fact I didnt. Mum and dad bought a plastic Wendy house for our garden. Them kids love it. They also build dens.

Why is it assumed Prince George won't do ever build his own because he has a ready built one?

The tree house is great and I believe it was William and Harry's but has been refurbished. Which I think is a lovely idea.

Vastra Wed 29-Jul-15 09:43:14

That seems a great present for a small child... Imagine the size of the box that came in.

Hannahouse Wed 29-Jul-15 09:57:01

StarlingMurmuration Wed 29-Jul-15 09:59:27

They didn't buy it! It was a gift, ffs. Unless pure his nanny, you have literally no idea what his life is like.

StarlingMurmuration Wed 29-Jul-15 10:00:57

*Unless you're his nanny

gamerchick Wed 29-Jul-15 10:04:49

I dunno I wouldn't mind one of those for the kids or me grin

They got it given and anybody would be thrilled with a present like that I think.

museumum Wed 29-Jul-15 10:05:35

It was gifted by a company started with help from the Princes Trust. That's lovely. Princes Trust are a fantastic charity.

gamerchick Wed 29-Jul-15 10:06:26

I don't think I would call him a poor child. He's quite obviously an adored child of applauding parents/adults in his life.

DeeWe Wed 29-Jul-15 10:06:54

Well you gift one to me and I'll show you how much fun 3 children and the rest of the neighbourhoods' children can have.

StarlingMurmuration Wed 29-Jul-15 10:07:25

Were you so excited to have found something to bash the royal family about, that you didn't even finish reading the article? It was given to George by a company called Plankbridge, which was started with help from the Prince's Trust, for his FIRST birthday. So a) it's not even news really and b) it was no doubt intended both as a thank you to Prince Charles and as a publicity stunt. What would you be saying if they'd given it back? "How ungrateful, true aristos would never be so vulgar as to give back such a generous gift!"?

306235388 Wed 29-Jul-15 10:09:16

How dare they behave like new money!

FGS op we aren't missing the point we just don't care and don't think its a bad thing.

My kids have a big wooden playhouse but they love building dens with sticks / blankets / whatever else they can find. They also have a dolls house but dd loves making new extensions for it from shoeboxes and Ds likes making planets for his star wars toys.

AmazonsForEver Wed 29-Jul-15 10:11:21

Well you sound lovely!
It is so obvious his parents completely adore him, and that goes further than any gifts or toys he may receive. Norms in society have changed, even for royalty, there's no getting away from that.

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Wed 29-Jul-15 10:15:02

Looks admiring in my garden at wooden playhouse, looks at small child, nope no lack of imagination here.

Admit though it was built with lots of swear words rather than lovingly crafted.

BrianButterfield Wed 29-Jul-15 10:33:59

As a child I wanted somewhere I could play 'houses', somewhere I could take dolls and so on, and above all, somewhere I could READ. Even as a child I valued warmth and comfort and I would have been in absolute heaven with a little day bed to lie on and a pile of cushions. I would not have enjoyed sitting in a den made from a blanket, to be quite honest. I would have had such fun in a little house like that!

arethereanyleftatall Wed 29-Jul-15 10:38:28

Unclench.
It's a lovely present.
Yabu.

Idontseeanydragons Wed 29-Jul-15 10:40:47

I didn't realise you had a point to be missed...

It's a thoughtful gift (and the best publicity ever) from a company helped by his own family. If you don't like it don't buy one!
How do you know what 'true aristo's' buy anyway?

Hannahouse Wed 29-Jul-15 10:42:09

Idontseeanydragons Wed 29-Jul-15 10:42:31

Do you insist your children build all of their own toys?

Idontseeanydragons Wed 29-Jul-15 10:47:29

Sorry for multiple posts but OP have a look at Osborne House on the Isle of Wight to see what a 'true aristocrat' (Queen Victoria) had built for her children... smile
Not exactly New money there!

BackInTheRealWorld Wed 29-Jul-15 10:51:27

My sister has one of those shepherds huts. She doesn't have young children though. Or courtiers.

Tanith Wed 29-Jul-15 11:05:24

We have a wooden playhouse in the garden - actually, we have 2. One has an upstairs and the other is more for toddlers. They are shops, homes, caves, schools - whatever the kids decide. We even had a murder in one once, scripted and filmed by the kids.

We also have our den-in-the-hedge and they love to make their own tents with blankets, scarves, ropes (and my airer!!). Oh, we've got a wigwam, too. And a little place in the vegetable patch, between the runner bean plants that they love to squeeze under. And the space under the climbing frame which was intended as a sandpit, but is a dinosaur world these days (when it's not a fairy glen or a construction site).

Kids will make a den or home out of anything. They love the pre-made houses and their own inventions and there's plenty of room and imagination for both.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now