Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To say no more?

(8 Posts)
madmaxx Wed 29-Jul-15 00:43:11

I'm fed up of people treating our house like a b&b.

First it was FIL, after he was kicked out. He behaved like a teenager: never tidied after himself, peed on the toilet seat, spent all night on the computer (and didn't turn the volume down), and ate all our food.

We have had a series of people stay now, and treat the place like a b&b. Dh asked me if it was OK before they came, and I agreed to keep the peace and because all these people apparently had no where else to go.

We never get so much as a thank you, pretty much the opposite. When an attempt is made to end the arrangement after it going on far longer than planned then we become the 'bad guys'.

Aibu to say no more 'guests'? Even if they apparently have nowhere else to stay, I don't think it is our duty to house them.

RosePetels Wed 29-Jul-15 01:00:53

My cousin went through this with a family member who didn't pay their rent and lost their council house. When the family member stayed at my cousins she also didn't pay her rent and refused to leave. It's now caused a rift.
The problem is when you help some people they take advantage.
I had a friend ask to stay at my house when we were doing night work because I live near her day job, I refused because I know it will turn into a constant thing then when you say NO they call you the bad guy as you have experienced.
It's not your problem so don't make it your problem again.

crustsaway Wed 29-Jul-15 01:08:05

You are absolutely within your rights to say no more guests. I wouldnt have anyone stay in my house for more than a night or two and even then they'd have to be very house trained.

Canyouforgiveher Wed 29-Jul-15 01:49:08

Definitely YANBU - just say no.

I have my lovely BIL and SIL staying at the moment (for 10 days). I love them, the kids love them, they are easy guests and I still can't wait for them to go!

You are being taken advantage of. Tell your dh the guests you have right now need to leave in one week and then you won't have anymore guests for at least 6 months.

I had a friend in your position - a friend needed a bed, she and her dh put him up, he had no where else to go so it went on and on and on - it was affecting the marriage by the time she finally told him to go.

LilyMayViolet Wed 29-Jul-15 07:44:02

Yanbu at all. I can't stand having people to stay aside from one or two very close friends. We had a relative that used to land on us for days and days. We eventually put a stop to it. It's incredibly annoying when people take the piss like this, some are thick skinned and you have to put your foot down.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Wed 29-Jul-15 07:47:26

How many people have you housed after they've been made homeless?

Bollocks to that, you and your dh are kind but get shirty and say no more.

1Morewineplease Wed 29-Jul-15 07:51:06

The very fact that you've posted on here suggests that you've had enough... YANBU!... No more!!!

madmaxx Wed 29-Jul-15 11:30:41

still too many.

The latest one is still with us months down the line. Trying to get him to move out has been very stressful.

I bet he won't even thank me too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now