Talk

Advanced search

To think I should have been able to buy half a drink??

(206 Posts)
Edenviolet Tue 28-Jul-15 23:44:44

Went out today and for a treat went to a cafe as dd1 and dd2 wanted a drink

Dd1 chose hers and dd2 decided she would like a creamy fruit type drink. Dd2 has type 1 diabetes so we went on the website to work out the carbs in a small drink, it was quite a lot so thought I'd get her half a small drink instead but this proved to be quite a problem
The first person said no when I requested exactly half of a small drink ( they could do it as all measurements are on the jugs etc). I asked why and was told 'no we can't do custom drinks" so I asked to see the manager and was told "no we can't do half" and "I don't know what to charge for half a small drink"

I suggested that perhaps half the cost of a small drink might be a good figure but was told again "no, we can't do it"
I explained again why we needed just half and said could I not just pay for a small drink but they just measure half instead. "No"again?

By this point dd2 was getting upset so I said "ok I will have a small drink and please can I have an extra cup?" To which they replied "no, just one cup" and I had had to then virtually beg for the drink to be split equally between two cups. Ridiculous

Yet again, dd has been upset and something simple like getting a drink has been complicated by diabetes and she is getting more and more negative about things due to incidents like this

Surely I should have been able to buy half a drink? Or at the very least a small one split into two cups without having to beg?!

ilovesooty Tue 28-Jul-15 23:47:56

Perhaps the till wasn't set up to charge for custom drinks.

TendonQueen Tue 28-Jul-15 23:48:56

They aren't obliged to sell half a small drink, but they ought to have given you a second cup without a fuss. Take it this was Starbucks or similar?

Edenviolet Tue 28-Jul-15 23:49:15

I thought that and that's why I suggested paying for a small one but they didn't want to give me an extra cup I had to beg !

Edenviolet Tue 28-Jul-15 23:49:34

Costa

DragonsCanHop Tue 28-Jul-15 23:51:09

It will be about the till.

No reason why they couldn't do a cup, charge you and then pour into a second cup imo.

Tis good customer service.

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Tue 28-Jul-15 23:51:14

I can understand them not selling you something not on the menu; I think giving you an extra cup would have been kind (though if everyone splits their drinks, there's their profit gone).

Maybe I'm missing something, but if this was getting upsetting for DD, why didn't you just get the drink but mark the half way point on the cup and help her not to drink more than that amount, rather than continue arguing?

Ragwort Tue 28-Jul-15 23:51:21

Shocking. But I think you should have just left when the cafe were so unhelpful. I have worked in the hospitality industry for years and the key words are 'hospitality' and 'service'.

Buying half of a freshly made smoothie (if that's what it was) might be difficult as what would the cafe have done with the other 'half' - but there is no reason why they couldn't have offered you two cups.

My DN has severe disabilities and cannot eat food if it touches other food on the plate - so he likes sausages and beans without chips - one cafe refused to not put chips on the plate - even though we explained we would pay for the chips but just didn't want them. You cannot believe the sheer bloody mindedness of some restaurant owners. I have provided all sorts of meals/drinks/facilities 'off menu' for years, I wanted my customers to be happy and to return in the future.

Ragwort Tue 28-Jul-15 23:53:17

Costa hmm - big chains can be the most unhelpful, they stick to their 'policies' and don't seem to be able to use initiative to deal with any situation that might be slightly 'unusual'.

Slimmerforsummer Tue 28-Jul-15 23:54:31

I think asking to pay for half a drink was maybe a little bit unreasonable but def offering to pay for a whole one, with just getting a half serving or getting an extra cup seem v reasonable.
What twonks ( cafe staff, not you!)

FannyFifer Tue 28-Jul-15 23:55:05

YABU

They prob sell drinks in S, M & L, that's what will be on the computerised till system.

If you have a diabetic child you should really carry an emergency kit with a drink, glucose sweets etc with you at all times.

FannyFifer Tue 28-Jul-15 23:56:57

Sorry misread your post, thought u needed the drink due to diabetes.

crustsaway Tue 28-Jul-15 23:57:32

I would have just bought the drink and had half myself.

Edenviolet Tue 28-Jul-15 23:57:36

There's no way dd would have just had half if id marked it, she's going through a really bad phase currently and everything is a battle food wise and I think she would have had a meltdown confronted with a whole drink but to not be allowed it all.

I needed to measure it exactly too so I could work out the carb content. It was one of those situations where I'd taken dd1+2 for a treat but it just ended up being about diabetes again which was the last thing I wanted given dd2 s current attitude towards it

Slimmerforsummer Tue 28-Jul-15 23:58:11

Surprised to read its a costa. I've found them fab ( there's loads round here) even bringing me extra glasses of water when I was breastfeeding and on another occasion a tiny paper cup for my toddler to drink from.

TendonQueen Tue 28-Jul-15 23:59:15

fanny don't think that was the situation, OP's DD just wanted a drink to enjoy.

My local Costa staff are lovely. It's very variable. I would tweet them and point out it was disappointing customer service.

Edenviolet Tue 28-Jul-15 23:59:32

It was split into two cups in the end equally, and I did have the other half but it was horrible (and I got brain freeze!)

Just a shame I had to beg for it to be split equally

Concordial Wed 29-Jul-15 00:00:04

I don't see a problem with being given a second cup.
How old is your DD? Would she be ok with drinking half a serve and leaving the rest?
Maybe carry around a spare empty water bottle and pour the quantity not required into there for later in the day. You are getting your money's worth then rather than wasting half a drink!

ilovesooty Wed 29-Jul-15 00:00:43

I agree with crustsaway

I think that would have been a perfectly reasonable solution and what the establishment would surely have expected to happen. I don't think you can reasonably expect a chain like Costa to react to your individual requests.

Edenviolet Wed 29-Jul-15 00:01:44

We went a few months ago and they were happy to do half a drink so I was quite surprised today, different staff though I suppose and maybe they've changed policies?
It was just one of those things that I wanted to feel normal for dd, I'd let her choose what she wanted, quickly looked up the carb content and thought it'd all be fine and just a case of grabbing a treat and not about diabetes and then it was just a big hassle !

ilovesooty Wed 29-Jul-15 00:01:49

So you did get a second cup in the end

Edenviolet Wed 29-Jul-15 00:02:49

It needed to be measured out though, half a drink by eye is not always exactly half a drink and I needed to know exactly so I could give her insulin

hospitalworry Wed 29-Jul-15 00:02:56

Diabetes is shit
Got 2 now adults with it
Only message I would give - your first child with it - it's like pfb
Second - we were more lax whilst educating (but they know and can choose with us not to follow rules)
Really - it's a recipe for an eating disorder

Edenviolet Wed 29-Jul-15 00:03:41

Yes, after begging and having to explain repeatedly why I needed it measured out. With dd next to me getting tearful sad

cuntycowfacemonkey Wed 29-Jul-15 00:04:18

I don't know why they couldn't give you a second cup. Cafe Nero have stacks of paper cups next to the sugar and napkins. I think Costa do tend to be a bit "unhelpful" about anything remotely off piste

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now