Talk

Advanced search

to think a 14YO shouldn't be modelling high end

(22 Posts)
TheWitTank Tue 28-Jul-15 16:51:04

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3176929/So-poor-family-couldn-t-afford-Cornflakes-new-14-year-old-Dior-model-plucked-Tel-Aviv-council-estate-catwalks-Paris.html#article-3176929

Reading through this story and I noticed she was sent down the catwalk at a Dior show in a see through dress which clearly showed her breasts and underwear. I'm actually quite disgusted at this really. It seems totally inappropriate and creepy really -she's 14! Aibu to think that children shouldn't be paraded on the catwalk in adult clothes and there should be restrictions in place? I'm glad her family seem to be out of poverty, but this seems really wrong to me.

TheFlis12345 Tue 28-Jul-15 17:08:33

I don't see the issue with her modelling high fashion per se but I do think there should be limits on what under 16/18's can show. See through clothes showing her breasts is not on.

MaxPepsi Tue 28-Jul-15 17:14:57

Do you really think any model should be wearing see through clothes?

Either male or female irrespective of their age?

TheWitTank Tue 28-Jul-15 17:19:03

No, but I think an adult can make an informed choice if they want to do it. A child of 14 (especially one with the added pressure of providing for her entire family) can't do that. I can't get my head around how this is allowed. A semi nude child being paraded in front of a load of adults -gross.

littlemslazybones Tue 28-Jul-15 17:19:28

I think that it is understandably more problematic to parade a child naked down a catwalk.

LurkingHusband Tue 28-Jul-15 17:21:41

The Daily Mail. Peddling child sexualisation as news ? Surely not !!!!! You'll tell me they're fans of Hitler next.

Oh, hang on, they were.

WorraLiberty Tue 28-Jul-15 17:24:28

No, but I think an adult can make an informed choice if they want to do it. A child of 14 (especially one with the added pressure of providing for her entire family) can't do that. I can't get my head around how this is allowed. A semi nude child being paraded in front of a load of adults-gross.

I agree 100%

Nothing wrong with a woman choosing to model see through clothes if they want to, or even to model naked.

But this is a 14 year old child and that's the huge difference.

PavilionGrey Tue 28-Jul-15 17:57:54

It is sexualising a child.

So far from OK, I'm genuinely surprised it needs pointing out tbh.

Tryharder Tue 28-Jul-15 18:01:58

I'm obviously not Dior's target market (!) but had I the money to spend, I would be put off by clothes that can apparently only look good on a child.

I don't think children should be allowed to model clothes destined for wear by adult women.

balletgirlmum Tue 28-Jul-15 18:05:57

I can't tell from the photos if it is truly see through or if she is wearing something underneath. At first glance it looks no worse than ballet costumes my daughter has worn with a chiffon overdress over a leotard.

In the UK child modelling is strictly controlled though & a child wouldnt be allowed to wear overtly sexual clothes.

TheWitTank Tue 28-Jul-15 18:12:08

m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/7877860

It's sheer ballet -and supposed to be. This is a clearer image (thankfully they have blurred the pictures).

Mintyy Tue 28-Jul-15 18:14:07

I actually don't think 14 year olds should be modelling full stop. But that's just me, maybe.

GGabcd Tue 28-Jul-15 18:18:29

Totally inappropriate.

TheWitTank Tue 28-Jul-15 18:19:16

Kate Moss had a breakdown at 17 which she has attributed to the pressures of modelling at 15. It's not exactly the healthiest industry to be involved in, especially at the high fashion end.

Mintyy Tue 28-Jul-15 18:24:27

I had a friend who I just can't see eye to eye with any more because she is allowing her 14 year old to become a professional model. Just one of a few things that I feel very strongly about.

GetTheFudgeOutOfRodge Tue 28-Jul-15 18:25:52

I agree that children shouldn't be part of that world full stop, but to dress them in sheer clothing is disgusting.

I'm sure Dior are going for the "All publicity is good publicity" approach and they knew it would get everyone talking.
YANBU.

Lurkedforever1 Tue 28-Jul-15 19:43:30

I don't like the sexual aspect of the clothes for a 14yr old. Agree with pp about the issues. However I'd rather my child wore that on a catwalk than paraded round the streets like some girls that age wearing clothes that make them look years older, far less vulnerable on a runway.

Nanny0gg Tue 28-Jul-15 21:21:31

I will never understand how women would want to wear something that has been modelled on a child.

It should be modelled by someone of the age/style the garment was designed for.

kali110 Tue 28-Jul-15 21:47:02

Yanbu at all! I have no problem with girls her age modelling, but not in clothes that are clearly for older women!
Why would adults want to put a child in see through clothes and parade her down the runway and why would the parents let this go ahead?

hibbleddible Tue 28-Jul-15 22:23:36

I agree that her attire was completely inappropriate.

I am also surprised that she has been seen by the model scouts as anything other than an ordinary 14 year old.

manicinsomniac Tue 28-Jul-15 22:32:19

Kind of torn on this one to be honest.

I haven't seen the outfit and I do instinctively react against it but I'm not sure it's worse than other things children and adolescents do/wear on stage.

My 2 older daughters are heavily into dance and some of the outfits and choreography I've seen in shows and at competitions, especially in the US, makes me wince. I don't think children see it as sexual but it certainly comes across that way.

scarlets Tue 28-Jul-15 22:36:28

I think that there are certain designers who refuse to use models who are not aged 16+. Clearly, this company isn't amongst them. Shane on them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now