Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that mortgage is huge commitment?

(21 Posts)
AlwaysSpoiled34 Tue 28-Jul-15 16:37:58

I am paying the mortgage for apartment that I bought in 2007. I am SAHM, husband has a good job. Our son has a moderate autism, despite lots of therapy sessions(twice a week) he is still non verbal. It looks like he will always need my financial support. AIBU to put my son first in every decision making process?

formerbabe Tue 28-Jul-15 16:39:29

I'm sorry I don't understand your post at all.

ghostyslovesheep Tue 28-Jul-15 16:42:54

no idea - sorry OP x

AlwaysSpoiled34 Tue 28-Jul-15 16:44:14

You need money to help your son with disability. What happens to grown ups with autism? They need lots of support, I can always sell apartment and organize various activities for him.

UrethraFranklin1 Tue 28-Jul-15 16:45:24

How does your title question relate at all to your post?

RedDaisyRed Tue 28-Jul-15 16:45:30

One of the best things you can do for him is provide a secure home and pay off the mortgagage as soon as you can. I don't think moving into a rented place would be the best thing for the child.

ghostyslovesheep Tue 28-Jul-15 16:46:26

that's great confused I'm glad you can do that

ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 28-Jul-15 16:46:28

eh?

MaxieMouse Tue 28-Jul-15 16:47:04

Sorry, I still don't get it. If you sell the apartment you still have to pay rent. Do you mean you've got a flat you are renting out?

songbird Tue 28-Jul-15 16:47:35

Not sure what you're really asking OP, sorry confused

TheRealAmyLee Tue 28-Jul-15 16:49:32

Sorry I've no idea what your question is or how it relates to the title.

NerrSnerr Tue 28-Jul-15 16:50:01

Are you considering selling your home and then renting? If that's the case I wouldn't. Your son needs stable accommodation.

Re the title of your post - YANBU. It's a huge commitment. Obviously. Regarding the rest, I'm lost. Are you saying you think that you & your DH aren't on the same page when it comes to financial priorities?

fourtothedozen Tue 28-Jul-15 17:03:55

I'm not sure a mortgage is a huge commitment. If everything goes tits up then you can always sell the house and go back to renting. Then you would be in no worse a situation.

youbethemummylion Tue 28-Jul-15 17:06:10

fourtothedozen except if the apartment is worth less now than when it was bought.

firesidechat Tue 28-Jul-15 17:35:34

Is it a second home?

Of course you can sell it if it's yours to sell.

Does husband not agree?

firesidechat Tue 28-Jul-15 17:36:25

You're very lucky to have this option, but I'm sure you know that.

Spartans Tue 28-Jul-15 17:43:18

Is this a second home? You are talking about that you bought before you got married?

It needs o be a joint decision. Unless the flat is worth a lot of money, it will run eventually. Maybe your dh thinks it should be saved to support your son when he is an adult, if it looks like he will always live with you. Maybe he is worried that it will be a struggle when you are both older?

As for your title mortgages are a huge commitment

muddymary Tue 28-Jul-15 17:50:24

I used to work in the mortgage department of a bank and I remember being told on my first day of training that it's harder to get out of a mortgage than a marriage - so I think yanbu it is a big commitment!

Fairylea Tue 28-Jul-15 17:54:07

Of course it's a huge commitment but it's an investment isn't it, and you can always sell if you need to. I don't really understand your point - most parents put their children first regardless of whether they rent or own! smile

My son is 3 and has severe autism and we have a mortgage. We manage through a combination of dla, carers allowance, tax credits and dhs meagre salary. You just do whatever you need to.

TheCatsMother99 Tue 28-Jul-15 18:04:07

Did your message get cut off half way through? I don't understand what you're asking here?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now