Talk

Advanced search

To think that a new employer can contact old one for salary details?

(15 Posts)
Tinandgonic Tue 28-Jul-15 12:39:17

I'm considering applying for a new job and it's asking current salary. I don't know whether to putt salary including bonus but worried in case they contact my employer who gives salary without. Can they do this??

JaneAustinAllegro Tue 28-Jul-15 12:41:09

clarify it - they'll be able to find out as soon as you hand in a P45 anyway. You need to give a full picture of your total compensation package, so bonuses / car allowance / pension contribution are all valid, just don't imply that the total sum is salary

MrsNuckyThompson Tue 28-Jul-15 12:41:52

Just be honest. And if they are asking for pay details give a breakdown.

ComtesseDeSpair Tue 28-Jul-15 12:48:02

Usually when requesting a reference a new employer will ask the present one to verify salary, so I doubt you'll be able to hide it. If you have some legitimate reason for not wanting to make your base salary and bonus immediately obvious by stating them separately then I think its fine to state the full combined amount but suffix it with "inclusive of bonus".

IAmAShitHotLawyer Tue 28-Jul-15 12:53:52

I always lie. It's none of their fucking business how much money I have.

arkestra Tue 28-Jul-15 17:59:31

Don't lie. I have seen someone sacked from my workplace when HR found out they had lied about their pay at a previous workplace. If they ask, provide it with a breakdown between salary and bonus.

MadamArcatiAgain Tue 28-Jul-15 18:05:13

I have given millions of references and NEVER heard of an employer asking to verify employee's salary.We wouldn't anyway as it's commercially sensitive information

MadamArcatiAgain Tue 28-Jul-15 18:06:29

If they want to know, the employee can show them payslips.

humlebee7 Tue 28-Jul-15 19:17:31

Your previous employer shouldn't say unless you've given written permission for them to do so. I'd be inclined to not volunteer it at application stage until you offered the job. Don't lie about it though - just don't say.

Hissy Tue 28-Jul-15 19:24:34

It's ridiculous to be sacked for stating a higher salary in previous employment. If a new company is paying you are asking for and believe you to be worth, that is all that matters. People need to move jobs to progress, that is the only way to climb the salary ladder. It's called negotiation, and it's about time employers paid people properly as opposed to the least amount they can get away with.

MadamArcatiAgain Tue 28-Jul-15 19:39:07

You can always say your current employment contract contains a confidentiality clause whereby you can't divulge your salary.

CassieBearRawr Tue 28-Jul-15 19:40:28

Agreed Hissy!

BeaufortBelle Tue 28-Jul-15 19:44:38

Reference requests often request previous salary. Unless someone accepts bottom of scale they won't get any more unless they can prove higher earnings in previous twelve months. Public/third sector though

WLmum Tue 28-Jul-15 19:53:15

They can ask but not all employers will tell. It depends on whether the new place are asking for total package or salary. If you have the opportunity I would detail both.
It may seem harsh to sack someone for lying about their salary but it can happen - it calls into question a new employees honesty which is not a good start.

CandOdad Tue 28-Jul-15 19:57:33

At interview the interviewer was quite forceful about "why do you get that salary when we recruit heavily from your current employer and thats a high figure" I first said "Because thats what I am worth to them" I then went on to detail actual reasons.

I could see a gleam in his eye when I started and gave hm my P45, he used a calculator. Found I had under stated by about £1000 (because of a commission I didn't include) and then said nothing more.

Its up to you what you do/say at the end of the day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now