Talk

Advanced search

To go to Greece in September?

(11 Posts)
PiperChapstick Sun 26-Jul-15 20:51:28

We usually holiday on Greek Islands and love Rhodes in particular - villas in September are very reasonable. But is going this September a ridiculous idea because of the economy? What are the real risks? Want to book soon but so torn!

minibmw2010 Sun 26-Jul-15 20:53:31

Friends are there now and having a wonderful time. Just take lots of Euros with you, they still need tourists to have any hope of a recovering economy.

pickingstrawberries Sun 26-Jul-15 20:54:31

We are going in October.

fishboneschokus Sun 26-Jul-15 20:56:59

There is a mumsnet guide. The gist is take euros and have fun
smile

bertsdinner Sun 26-Jul-15 21:10:43

I'm going in September ( booked back in February, though I was aware of the potential crisis back then) .
Taking Euros rather than cards/travellers chqs.
I'm a bit wary but not really expecting chaos and turmoil.
I'm a bit concerned about potential food/supermarket shortages, but I may be being a bit ridiculous here though.
I'm looking forwards to it still, love Greece.

ilovesooty Sun 26-Jul-15 21:12:23

Returning to Crete in September.

simplydivine05 Sun 26-Jul-15 22:00:06

We're in Skiathos now. Not many places accepting cards but other than that it's business as usual. No big queues at the cash machines and we can get more cash from them if required. More than ever Greece needs it's tourists.

southeastastra Sun 26-Jul-15 22:01:08

we're going to rhodes in august! can't cancel and don't really want to anyway!

squoosh Sun 26-Jul-15 22:02:35

I wouldn't hesitate to go.

Chillywhippet Sun 26-Jul-15 22:05:47

Just got back from Crete on Friday. We had a lovely time. As has been said the last thing they need is a quiet tourist season. We took euros but people could use ATMs.
As one of the locals said they have had problems for 7 years. The politics may be higher profile at the moment though.

Pippa12 Sun 26-Jul-15 22:52:34

My sister is there at moment and having a wonderful time! Book your hols before those prices creep up!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now