Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to apply for a job...

(12 Posts)
strawberrypenguin Sun 26-Jul-15 19:30:30

knowing that DH and I are going to start ttc in the next couple of months?
I wasn't even looking for a new job but I was told about this one and it would be great - more money, better hours. But I feel a bit guilty at the thought that I could get pregnant soon after I start (and I've been in my current job less than a year after working hard for the promotion into it)
So what would you do? Go for it or not?

DoJo Sun 26-Jul-15 19:37:19

I would - there are no guarantees when TTC and you can't put your life on hold in case you are one of the lucky ones who conceives straight away.

HicDraconis Sun 26-Jul-15 19:37:44

Go for it. You're not pregnant yet, you mention starting to ttc in a couple of months. That doesn't mean pregnant in a few months, it could take a year or two. It may not, but don't put the rest of your life on hold in the meantime.

More money and better hours sounds great. The only thing that would put me off is a worse maty package but likely you'll have been in both places less than 2 years so you may not be entitled to more than smp anyway.

LadyLuck81 Sun 26-Jul-15 19:38:34

DoJo is right. Never put your life on hold for a 'what if'. Good luck with the job and with ttc.

Unfairestofthemall Sun 26-Jul-15 20:30:12

As long as you've worked 26 weeks before you are 25 weeks into your pregnancy you are entitled to SMP. Also it may not work straight away so I'd go ahead and apply if I were yousmile

Minicaters Sun 26-Jul-15 20:35:22

Go for it. You would be kicking yourself if you are still trying in 9 months or so otherwise, which is not hugely unlikely.

Plus I'd rather have the law of sod working for me, IYSWIM, not against me.

Mumoftwoyoungkids Sun 26-Jul-15 20:42:37

I'd go for the job but if you get it delay ttcing for a month or two (unless you are 42!) so that you have been in the job for a couple of months before you start as:-

1. You want to make really really sure you get your maternity pay. Sometimes dates do funny things in pregnancy (mine moved by 8 days!) and missing out by 3 days would be really annoying.
2. Early pregnancy is knackering. New jobs are knackering. The two together would be a killer.
3. Even if you got pregnant straight away you wouldn't be announcing until 12 weeks so by then you'd have been in New Job for 5 months. Which feels like a pretty long time in JobLand.

AliceAlice1979 Sun 26-Jul-15 20:42:46

I did, and 1 year later have not yet fallen pregnant. Apply for the job but be careful about dates; you won't get mat pay if you are in the UK and get pregnant before your start date. You might get a mat allowance though. So check your legal rights and your dates against your finances and know what you can afford.

Purpleball Sun 26-Jul-15 20:44:35

It took us a year to get pregnant (with a mc 6 months in) so go for it. It's not unusual to take a year or more so you'd be kicking yourself in a years time not having taken the job.
As long as you're not pregnant when you start you will still qualify for SMP

strawberrypenguin Sun 26-Jul-15 21:13:59

Thanks, I'll go for it and try not to feel too guilty if we manage a fast pregnancy. Good point about making sure we'll be ok date wise though - thanks all.

OurMiracle1106 Sun 26-Jul-15 21:27:48

Go for it .I applied for a job not knowing whether or not I would need an operation but knowing before my start date I would have the results so I applied. Was interviewed, came back from the interview and got good news. I'm all clear .No operation needed just back for a check up next July. And then the following day got a phone call offering me the position. I start tomorrow smile. It worked out the best for me

crumblybiscuits Sun 26-Jul-15 21:54:08

I'm also doing this at the moment. TTC and I start work soon. I feel bad as it is a small start up shop and they might be upset but we had a really rough loss in May that I think they will be sympathetic about. I'm only actually taking the job to be able to cushion us to have another baby which I'm sure is awful. YANBU. Life is far too short and too many things are unreliable to wait if you're ready.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now