Talk

Advanced search

to want all these floating people hosed off the streets

(38 Posts)
magzjobes45 Sun 26-Jul-15 16:54:44

The first time I saw one it was kinda interesting, but now they are everywhere and a real eyesore. They seem to operate in gangs. Why don't the police do something to get rid of them?

emotionsecho Sun 26-Jul-15 16:56:35

Um, sorry, what are floating people?

Hurr1cane Sun 26-Jul-15 16:58:11

I've googled but am still none the wiser

ShatnersBassoon Sun 26-Jul-15 16:58:13

Ghosts? shock

FenellaFellorick Sun 26-Jul-15 16:58:21

What are they?

TinyManticore Sun 26-Jul-15 16:59:46

What now?

mrselizabethdarcy Sun 26-Jul-15 17:01:32

What floating people?

Elllimam Sun 26-Jul-15 17:02:14

Definitely if they are ghosts get well rid of them. Goddamn ghosts grin

bestguess23 Sun 26-Jul-15 17:02:18

The street performers with hidden platform? Yes, they are often operating in gangs but other activities are much more concerning than the street performance aspect. The gang who daily run gambling cons on Westminster Bridge are a nightmare although they do also operate as street performers at night.

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Sun 26-Jul-15 17:02:40

Are they those annoying living statue things, standing on a platform? Saw them in London, by the time I'd crossed Trafalgar Square I'd forgotten them.

FuzzyWizard Sun 26-Jul-15 17:02:49

www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://i.ytimg.com/vi/JDZq8clHipE/maxresdefault.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v%3DJDZq8clHipE&h=720&w=1280&tbnid=xmzkj79LmNgEcM:&docid=pfQemfMH_XK0GM&hl=en&ei=cAS1VYnoH6GR7AbOiYCoBQ&tbm=isch&client=safari&ved=0CCYQMygJMAlqFQoTCIng99eV-cYCFaEI2wodzgQAVQ
If yo mean these then I agree... They creep me out and they seem to be everywhere.

cardibach Sun 26-Jul-15 17:04:32

Why hosing?

Birdsgottafly Sun 26-Jul-15 17:06:47

They've got wise and worked out that they can earn just as much in big Northern cities, but live on a third of the income, so Liverpool is becoming overrun with them.

Thankfully our ones don't seem as aggressive as the ones that I've encountered in London.

I agree that street entertainers should have their methods checked and possibly be regulated.

magzjobes45 Sun 26-Jul-15 17:06:54

I know the gambling con people shouldn't be there, but they are much harder to get rid of as they can pack up in seconds.

These floating people have a lot of heavy kit so would be much easier to get rid of. They litter so many international cities.

Sparklingbrook Sun 26-Jul-15 17:07:15

Eww. They look creepy, I don't like that sort of thing at all.

madwomanbackintheattic Sun 26-Jul-15 17:08:53

Mildly amusing the first time as you work out how, then boring as all hell. No, I'm not going to give you money for just sitting there all day.

Don't they have to have permits or something? Surely they should be limiting the numbers - there were at least twenty in Trafalgar Sq last time I tried to get through (and the trick bicycle with reverse steering mob)

chocolatechip123 Sun 26-Jul-15 17:09:35

And they won't let the police use water cannon...

temperato Sun 26-Jul-15 17:10:01

Never seen a floating person...how do they appear to be floating?

Preciousbane Sun 26-Jul-15 17:10:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bestguess23 Sun 26-Jul-15 17:16:09

They are meant to have permits but many of the ones you see that are clearly rubbish are operating illegally. They are a problem in many places, but I have only experienced them in London. They used to use the back entrance to our flats to hide from police hence why I saw their faces and knew they were running both the gambling con and the street performance. The police would come and move them on or arrest if they had evidence but there were usually about 40 of them at any time. The police asked our block to contact them any time we saw them as they were also pick pocketing tourists, nasty bunch. I should say this is all based on the gang who operate on Westminster Bridge so a very small sample!

Silvercatowner Sun 26-Jul-15 17:17:03

Ooooh is it like the floating monsters in Buffy the Vampire Slayer? If so, I don't think hosing will work.....

ListenWillYou Sun 26-Jul-15 17:30:50

I don't like them but if they have their permits I guess it's ok. I can't believe anyone actually gives them money.

Notthecarwashagain Sun 26-Jul-15 17:33:51

There's a crap one in Leicester who sits on a badly disguised stool.
Creepy and rubbish!

ListenWillYou Sun 26-Jul-15 17:35:53

HERE's a recent and vaguely informative article about them. Unfortunately it's a daily Mail article with it usual anti-immigrant slant.

TheHouseOnBellSt Sun 26-Jul-15 17:36:42

Chester had a terrible one....wasn't floating but he was a statue. He had the cheapest white outfit made from a sheet, terrible kids white face paint and a creepy face. He would hold out unwrapped lollies to kids...parents would be hmm and it was annoying as small kids were disapointed when you snatched them away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now