Talk

Advanced search

...to want to yell at parents for yelling at their kids...

(35 Posts)
ithinkalittlepeecameout Sun 26-Jul-15 09:24:46

I know I'm gradually turning in to a grumpy old woman but....
Parents that yell from a distance to their kids, usually to stop doing something or start doing something. Then after the 5th or 6th attempt at screeching at them resort to idle threats.
One example: Mother and daughter in a park, Mum sitting on the bench, daughter sitting on the grass. "Doris,put your i-pad away were leaving" ( as Mum continues to use her phone)
After the 5th "Put the i-pad away" ( As Mum continues to play with HER phone) Mum resorts to "If you don't put it away I'll take it off you" Another 5 times......
All I want to do is get up from the other end of the bench (sitting enjoying the sun last week) yell at both of them " Both of you Get off you bloody appliances and piss off"
AIBU or just really grumpy at the moment grinshock

woowoo22 Sun 26-Jul-15 09:35:31

YANBU

Iggi999 Sun 26-Jul-15 09:36:38

You are just really grumpy at the moment.

Hannahouse Sun 26-Jul-15 09:37:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fruitbat2008 Sun 26-Jul-15 09:41:05

I understand where you are coming from but with three children it's not that easy sometimes.

fustybritches Sun 26-Jul-15 09:44:08

Yanbu about that specific situation, but if your dc are far away and you need to get their attention, what do you suggest OP?

ApocalypseThen Sun 26-Jul-15 09:46:14

My brother in law does this. As a consequence, his children are a nightmare.

Yarp Sun 26-Jul-15 09:48:31

YANBU

ithinkalittlepeecameout Sun 26-Jul-15 09:50:46

I'd get off my fat ass and go to said children fruitbat

CruCru Sun 26-Jul-15 10:00:50

Hmm. Thing is, when I shout at my kids it's rarely only because of the thing they've just done but rather that they've been a little bugger all day and the latest thing has tipped me over the edge.

YABU.

MargotLovedTom Sun 26-Jul-15 10:04:39

YNBU - just get up and do it!

However, agree with CruCru re the losing temper yelling. Two out of my three have bickered so relentlessly this week that it's been like a form of torture. I have lost my shit several times. Not big and not clever and all that but, my God, you'd need the patience of Job not to.

Andrewofgg Sun 26-Jul-15 10:05:20

what do you suggest OP?

Er . . . get up off your arse and speak to the child at a distance where you don't have to yell to be heard and ignored because she can hear you and ignore you without shouting?

ithinkalittlepeecameout Sun 26-Jul-15 10:06:42

It not the yelling at kids, everyone yells at their kids.
It's the wanting them to do something, but can't really be arsed to get off my backside and deal with /help them do it attitude. Just keep shouting the same order over and over, then revert to threats that your not going to carry out.

Andrewofgg Sun 26-Jul-15 10:09:34

I remember an angry shout in Southend (out of season, almost certainly a local) of Stop that fucking swearing.

BleachEverything Sun 26-Jul-15 10:10:52

I agree OP. I cringe at how some people can't control their kids.

fourtothedozen Sun 26-Jul-15 10:13:59

* everyone yells at their kids*

No they don't.

Mrsjayy Sun 26-Jul-15 10:22:45

If we were in a park id yell we are going then go get them if they didnt move this constant shouting and empty threat stuff gets on my wick the kids obviously know their parent wont carry it through so they take the piss yanbu

SiobhanSharpe Sun 26-Jul-15 10:26:42

Er, yeah that'll work.

thenumberseven Sun 26-Jul-15 10:38:38

I first read Dr. Benjamin Spock's book on baby and child care about forty years ago but I still remember he calls this sounding off by parents.

Very ineffectual parenting I'd say
YANBU

Mrsjayy Sun 26-Jul-15 10:40:00

Its feeble imo

thenumberseven Sun 26-Jul-15 10:40:27

Andrew grin

sebsmummy1 Sun 26-Jul-15 10:42:20

I agree. Constantly yelling at children from a distance sounds extremely common and you can tell they just tune it out as white noise in the end.

fustybritches Sun 26-Jul-15 16:10:23

I'm talking about, for e.g., if dc1 is scooting, dc2 falls over so I need to help dc2, and for dc1 to stop and wait.

Apologies for sounding 'common' and having a 'fat arse' hmm

Mrsjayy Sun 26-Jul-15 16:15:16

Well i dont think that was what the op was talking about really it was the constantly shouting at kids to come here stop that over and over and the kid is clearly not listening stopping scooting running ahead is different.

Pilgit Sun 26-Jul-15 16:50:17

My DH's normal speaking voice sounds like shouting to most people. He is just very loud. I agree that what you describe is annoying though just don't judge a loud voice....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now