Talk

Advanced search

To ask how do you stop yourself eating "leftovers";?

(27 Posts)
fadetoblack Sun 26-Jul-15 09:20:37

I have managed to put on over a stone in a year since becoming a mum and then working part time. I have a toddler and often find myself finishing off his biscuit/ toast/ pasta etc without really noticing I have done it. I will be 40 later this year and I am generally fed up of becoming such a cliché but can't seem to stop myself, so...how do you do it?

TravellingToad Sun 26-Jul-15 09:23:54

Following. I'm the same. Finish the pasta in their bowl then have my own lunch while they nap. Etc etc.

DurhamDurham Sun 26-Jul-15 09:24:15

It is an easy habit to slip into, I stop myself by putting it straight in the bin without even looking at what's on the plate......I've lost a few forks and spoons too doing this grin

ChocolateTeacup Sun 26-Jul-15 09:25:05

I spray it with cleaner fluid

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Sun 26-Jul-15 09:25:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

strawberryshoes Sun 26-Jul-15 09:28:59

I dish them up smaller portions and offer seconds if they need it - leads to more clean plates. The seconds, if it is still in the pan/tupperware ready for the fridge or freezer is less likely to be picked at by me.

My husband sometimes eats later than the rest of us (evening meal) so I sometimes stick the leftovers from the kids onto his plate!

Lunchtimes I don't usually want what they have (philly cheese spread on marmite flavoured rice cakes is DD2s favourite thing at the moment...) so that is not such a problem.

LazyLouLou Sun 26-Jul-15 09:29:05

I had a friend who did that, she had a nasty binge eating habit too.

She used to put the food in the bin, but she would get it back out again, which distressed her even more. She used washing up liquid and poured it all over.

It seems to work!

CigarsofthePharoahs Sun 26-Jul-15 09:30:53

It's the whole business of not wanting to waste the food, isn't it?
Eat the leftovers, then either don't have or eat less lunch.
My toddler likes his food sooo bland I'm not that tempted any more. He also likes to squish and squash absolutely everything so most of its pretty inedible by the time he's finished.
Or.... Convince yourself it's been massively drooled in. That's put me off!

Whoami24601 Sun 26-Jul-15 09:31:44

I give it straight to the dog :-)

TheHouseOnBellSt Sun 26-Jul-15 09:35:10

I use a food waste bin,....it's so off putting that I never eat left overs as I associate them with the pig swill in the container!

PuntasticUsername Sun 26-Jul-15 09:37:14

I read in some diet book once (about the only damn useful thing I ever did read in a diet book...) that basically, you know that leftover food needs to go in the bin. You don't need the food yourself, and you don't really want it. You're just "tidying it up" or "stopping it going to waste" but actually what you're doing, is you're treating your own precious body like that dustbin. Don't - use the real bin instead.

May not work for everyone, but it helps me!

LateDay Sun 26-Jul-15 09:41:32

DP does this. My kids play with their food so much, I wonder who in their right mind would finish their leftovers! grin

My just turned two year old will pick bits off the floor and put them back on his plate. Yuck.

Goshthatsspicy Sun 26-Jul-15 10:17:53

I just don't eat them.
A quick swipe into the food bin!

Euphemia Sun 26-Jul-15 10:20:24

There never are any in our house! grin

DD eats like a horse. She's 13 so it's easier! When she was little anything she left got binned. DH cooks and makes just the right amount.

suzanneyeswecan Sun 26-Jul-15 10:21:31

never ever had the desire to eat anyones leftoversconfused

find the idea rather yuk

Learntoliveagain Sun 26-Jul-15 10:22:02

I can't think of anything worse than eating the leftovers from someone else's plate. Even if it's your own child.

HagOtheNorth Sun 26-Jul-15 10:22:56

Small amounts on the plate and serving dishes so I could pop the rest in the fridge.

MinesAPintOfTea Sun 26-Jul-15 10:23:32

Eat with them! Serve both of you small helpings, seconds available if you want them but if you don't then it can be stored for the next day. My laziness to not want to cook twice overrides my nibbling habit in that regard.

Dragonglass Sun 26-Jul-15 10:27:01

The thought of eating someone else's leftovers turns my stomach tbh.
Surely they are cold or covered in drool.

suzanneyeswecan Sun 26-Jul-15 10:32:22

enzymes in the ‎other persons saliva (transferred from cutlery) will have started to breakdown the food left on the plate, bacteria from the saliva will have started to multiply ‎.

Not to mention the fact that you've finished your own food and so are far less hungry than at the start of the meal.
Honestly I feel a little queasy at the idea of it ‎

silverstreak Sun 26-Jul-15 10:36:49

Just eat the leftovers as your "meal" as other have said. Doesn't have to be gross - I always make too much somehow anyway, and 2.5yr old DD doesn't really drool much these days, thankfully! Some stuff is even easier - toast/sandwiches etc I cut crusts off and have them, with some salad or something; other things just nab a spoon or two to eat with her to look like we're eating together then just finish hers! smile

Gunpowder Sun 26-Jul-15 10:36:57

I usually eat a little bit with my toddler and then either don't eat with DH if he's home late, or have a half portion if I'm hungry again. Often I find I don't want food again and the 'leftovers' are enough.

FenellaFellorick Sun 26-Jul-15 10:38:30

when he's finished eating, spray the leftovers with polish or squirt them with washing up liquid or throw them straight in the outside bin.
Get into the habit of thinking instead of being on auto pilot. When he's eating, think right, when he's finished, i will squirt the plate with washing up liquid.
And do it.

If he's regularly leaving food, serve him less. It may be you are giving him larger portions than he wants or needs. This means there won't be leftovers for you to eat.

Writtenbyme Sun 26-Jul-15 10:39:59

I chew gum while I clear away the plates etc.

MarkRuffaloCrumble Sun 26-Jul-15 11:00:15

I used to say to my mum "it's as wasted in me as it is in the bin", like Puntastic says.

I'm also a little bit <vom> at the idea of eating food my DCs have had in their grubby little hands/mouths so that helps! I do quite often snaffle a spare fish finger and dunk it in some beans out of the pan, but then will probably not have dinner and just have a little snack or pudding instead.

If I know I'm having something nice with DP later or have already had a good lunch I am less tempted to nick their food. Perhaps try having something you actually like while cooking/sitting with them, like a nice biscuit with your tea, then you won't be hungry for second rate food. Might not help with the calorie intake as such, but if you're going to be eating it may as well be something nicer than someone else's scraps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now