Talk

Advanced search

it's an A&E one!

(66 Posts)
MrsTatum1980 Sat 25-Jul-15 21:06:42

I don't want to be that parent tying up a&e but I'm umming and aahing. 10 month old has had diarrhoea since last Saturday when we returned from holiday (nowhere exotic or Ebola esque) fine in himself so no real concern, now we're 36 hours into him also being lethargic, not eating, nasty cough and little red pin prick dot rash on tummy.
Contacted 111 and had out of hours appt at 5pm, instantly before looking, diagnosed viral infection similar to rotavirus. Upon checks his throat was very red and inflamed but again, it would be viral. Temperature was 39.1, prescribed cuddles and seeing how it went.
He's absolutely boiling despite ibuprofen, shattered but wakes up crying or after a poo and he just seems so poorly, normally a little crawling bruiser/whirlwind but won't even crawl, just lays his head on blanket and does a pathetic cry until picked up. He's in bed now but just checked and restless sleep, head wet with sweat. Do I stick it out as a viral infection or get him checked out? AIBU to ignore doctor (who was lovely) and take him to a&e or do I accept it's just a viral infection making him very poorly? He's not pfb and just seems so out of sorts. Sorry it's so long

Spinaroo Sat 25-Jul-15 21:08:44

Call 111 again and say you really want to see someone as you are worried. They won't refuse. And it'll be quicker and more effective than A&E

queentroutoftroutss Sat 25-Jul-15 21:08:46

I think I would go or try to get an out of hours appointment to put my mind at rest. Children can deteriorate so quickly at that age.

starlight2007 Sat 25-Jul-15 21:09:11

what is temp now? have you tried alternating brophen and calpol to bring temp down?

TopCivilServant Sat 25-Jul-15 21:10:29

Take him to A&E. He sounds poorly. Hope he's Ok

TheWitchwithNoName Sat 25-Jul-15 21:10:53

Get him seen to ASAP, hope he's better soon flowers

bf1000 Sat 25-Jul-15 21:11:26

If in doubt i'd get it checked out. If its nothing you'll have mind put to rest and be sent home, if its anything then he'll be in best place. it's not worth the risk of waiting if it is something worse
hope he's ok x

TopCivilServant Sat 25-Jul-15 21:11:27

Sorry, posted too soon. Hope he's OK. I'd trust instincts on this one

Purplepoodle Sat 25-Jul-15 21:12:13

Are you giving calpol as well, in between ibuprofen as that will bring his temp down?

Is he just in his nappy?

TheHormonalHooker Sat 25-Jul-15 21:12:36

Have you given Calpol?

How much is he drinking?

I'd be sending someone out for some rehydration sachets, giving some paracetamol and seeing how he is for an hour or so.

Purplepoodle Sat 25-Jul-15 21:12:58

No covers on his bed too.

Gunpowder Sat 25-Jul-15 21:13:29

I think if you are worried, take him in. He's still very little and they will not be cross with you.

I think they don't recommend alternating paracetamol/ibuprofen any more by the way, as it can mask a very high temp too effectively if that makes sense? Obvs if Dr. advises it that's different.

MrsTatum1980 Sat 25-Jul-15 21:13:55

Temp is now 39.3, doctor said to not alternate due to his age so last gave Calprofen at 7 but temp has risen since then. He's currently asleep but tossing around and very sweaty with bright red cheeks. Thank you for replies, I think I just needed some reassurance to go with my instinct! He's not well at all.

Loobylou3 Sat 25-Jul-15 21:14:21

Please go get him checked out. My dd was 11months when she had rotavirus and ended up on a drip for 3 days in hospital! It was so awful and scary.

MrsTatum1980 Sat 25-Jul-15 21:14:30

Ooh cross posted about alternating!

Loobylou3 Sat 25-Jul-15 21:15:52

I meant to add the day she was admitted to hospital we too had seen a GP who said viral infection and she would be fine in a couple of days!

TheHormonalHooker Sat 25-Jul-15 21:16:22

Ring OOHs, then. It'll be quicker than A&E, but if for some reason they say the wait for an appt is ages you can always go to A&E.

MrsTatum1980 Sat 25-Jul-15 21:17:16

Thanks all, I'm making the call to 111 for OOH, he's in a cool room in just a nappy and vest. Lots of water, not really having his bottle but offering and he is having wet nappies.

Baddz Sat 25-Jul-15 21:18:01

He really needs to be seen again.

beautifulgirls Sat 25-Jul-15 21:18:20

Yes go back, trust your instinct - we have been there and fobbed off with "a virus" on two occasions before a few hours later landing in intensive care. Hope he is alright. Our story is unusual but not impossible.

DoItTooJulia Sat 25-Jul-15 21:18:38

You said he doesn't seem himself on top of a fever that isn't coming down, he's sweaty, has an upset tummy? I'd take him to a doctor. They never mind seeing one so little, honest.

Plenty of fluids too.

flowers

Springcleanish Sat 25-Jul-15 21:18:48

If in doubt go to A and E with a young child / baby. Always better safe than sorry, and it will help you to feel calmer which will help your DS.

chickenfuckingpox Sat 25-Jul-15 21:19:02

did they give you a throat spray?

will he have ice pops?

if you think its got worse ring back

Gunpowder Sat 25-Jul-15 21:19:02

It's so scary when they are ill. I was umming and aahing about taking DD2 to A&E a few weeks ago. Saw GP in the end who sent us. (DD's fine now)
Anyway, both GP and A&E paed said they'd always rather see a baby than not as they can get ill so quickly and to trust your instinct. As their mother, you know them best.

DoItTooJulia Sat 25-Jul-15 21:19:42

X post. Hope you get seen soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now