Talk

Advanced search

Am I "cooking from scratch".....

(202 Posts)
Janeymoo50 Sat 25-Jul-15 21:02:09

or not...

Curry - brown onion, garlic, chicken, add jar of paste/sauce?

Shep pie - brown mince, onions, carrots, add tomato paste, stock, flour, marmite, seasoning, herbs, etc

Fish pie - put frozen salmon and cod fillets (Iceland bargains) in bit of milk, butter and dried herbs, then make proper roux with the liquid, top with frozen mash (with added butter and good shake of black pepper)

My DP says I cheat, I might concur on the frozen mash (but it works better on fish pie).... But I've always thought this was ok....am I really cheating???

PotOfYoghurt Sat 25-Jul-15 21:03:51

I would say only the shepherd's pie is from scratch, but does it really matter? If it's tasty and healthy what's the problem?

LashesandLipstick Sat 25-Jul-15 21:04:27

Everything except frozen mash is fine. Why not mash your own potato and freeze it?

Wolfiefan Sat 25-Jul-15 21:05:46

Agree with pot of yoghurt.

LadyFenring Sat 25-Jul-15 21:05:52

Shepherd's pie, yes.

Curry, absolutely not.

Fish pie, no.

HicDraconis Sat 25-Jul-15 21:06:55

You're cheating with the jar of paste/sauce (curry) and frozen mash (fish pie). I wouldn't say you were cooking from scratch if a meal uses a processed jar or packet.

But does it matter? All 3 sound like healthy-enough nutritious meals. And if your DP feels strongly enough to comment on cheating, there's nothing stopping him cooking!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 25-Jul-15 21:07:27

Shepherds pie yes, but the others no, I wouldn't claim them as cooking from scratch.

penny13610 Sat 25-Jul-15 21:08:14

Sounds like normal cooking to me. If frozen mash works better and saves time, go for it.
I prefer pataks curry paste to the jars of sauce, better taste, texture and cheaper. Sometimes make from scratch, but life is short.
If DH would like to show you how it is done, let him. He could start by making his own tomato puree.

LadyFenring Sat 25-Jul-15 21:08:24

Sorry my response was whether you were cooking from scratch as opposed to cheating.

HoneyDragon Sat 25-Jul-15 21:08:55

I much prefer frozen mash as a topping to fish pie too grin

Has to be Tescos own, or Aunt Bessie's. I don't like the Waitrose one.

I think the Curry is the only none from scratch.

LibrariesGaveUsPower Sat 25-Jul-15 21:09:21

Cheating?

What does it matter? You are cooking for the family in a time efficient way. Nothing wrong with that. Sometimes it is nice to grind spices, sometimes to use a jar.

Frozen mash sounds yeek though. is it nice?

mrsmeerkat Sat 25-Jul-15 21:09:44

I wouldn't say cooking from scratch but it is good old fashioned home cooking.

I don't know how you think cooking using a jar of sauce is from scratch - nothing wrong with it but why do you think that?

AuntyMag10 Sat 25-Jul-15 21:09:52

The shepherds pie and fish pie sound fine but the curry definitely not. A curry made from a jar is not a curry.

HoneyDragon Sat 25-Jul-15 21:10:21

I keep Pataks Balti paste in for quick curry nights ..... It's all the base spices I'd use anyway.

londonrach Sat 25-Jul-15 21:10:45

Does it matter?

myluckystars Sat 25-Jul-15 21:10:47

From scratch means no previously prepared food. Try it, you might like it.

roses2 Sat 25-Jul-15 21:11:06

When you say curry paste/sauce do you mean a whole jar of curry sauce or something like the patak paste where you use a teaspoon or two?

Loafliner Sat 25-Jul-15 21:15:17

I don't thing you can claim your curry or your fish pie as from scratch. Does it matter to you?

Marynary Sat 25-Jul-15 21:15:44

Why does it matter? I have to "cook from scratch" on the whole because of a food allergy but I can't see what is so great about it. If you are eating a healthy balanced diet who cares?

Holidaysardonic Sat 25-Jul-15 21:15:52

Frozen mash exists!

I've just added it to the shopping cart. Life's about to get easier again. Thanks smile.

Loafliner Sat 25-Jul-15 21:16:52

I cook from scratch most of the time but a jar of curry paste is a good cheat, better than a take away!

MumOfOne14 Sat 25-Jul-15 21:17:08

Only the curry no, the others hell yeah from scratch! Tell ur hubby he's more than welcome to peal a load of potatoes if he prefers them fresh!!!

PerspicaciaTick Sat 25-Jul-15 21:18:38

"From scratch" is to cooking as "attachment parenting" is to parenting - there is a tendency for one-upmanship and wedged judgy pants.
I've come across people who claim that using tinned chopped tomatoes is not cooking from scratch as they prefer to skin and chop their own tomatoes from fresh. And curry isn't cooked from scratch unless you've ground your own spices.

Stop looking at what other people do and just enjoy your cooking and food.

HighwayDragon Sat 25-Jul-15 21:18:50

Curry definitely not, Shep pie is certainly from scratch, I'd say that the fish pie isn't though.

squoosh Sat 25-Jul-15 21:19:00

I don't understand the concept of cheating in this scenario!

How far do you want to strip your 'scratch' back to? Growing your own veg?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now