Talk

Advanced search

Hulk Hogan - AIBU?

(13 Posts)
GloGirl Sat 25-Jul-15 08:33:03

So it turns out that Hulk Hogan is an awful racist bigot

www.rollingstone.com/sports/news/hulk-hogan-fired-by-wwe-over-racial-tirade-20150724

But I am surprised WWF has removed him from their Hall of Fame. Whilst I understand removing merchandise and so on I am wondering if it really makes sense to make no mention of him on the WWF pages at all. In my very very limited knowledge of WWF I kind of know Hulk Hogan, and that's it.

At what stage of someone's fame or actions can we never talk about them again?

AIBU to think that they should do his profile in the Hall of Fame and end it by saying "Due to controversy WWF have removed all association with Hulk Hogan etc etc"

BlueThursday Sat 25-Jul-15 08:35:15

YABU - it's WWE wink

GloGirl Sat 25-Jul-15 08:40:22

Ha! I think I even double checked the name! shock

Obviously need my morning coffee...

Birdsgottafly Sat 25-Jul-15 08:42:53

Well no, it doesn't "turn out that HH is a racist bigot", they've dug out a recording from three years ago, in which the Black person that was present has said it wasn't meant how it came across.

And they're bringing up something that was said eight years ago.

It doesn't necessarily define who HH is today.

Birdsgottafly Sat 25-Jul-15 08:45:12

""At what stage of someone's fame or actions can we never talk about them again? ""

If it's racial, he should stick to sexist rankings, that would of been laughed about.

You can even commit rapes and child abuse and all is forgiven (if you're male).

Love51 Sat 25-Jul-15 08:47:54

It will be a commercial decision. And WWE probably don't make an awful lot of money from the Hogan brand any more. They will have figured it does them more harm than good to continue to promote the association.

flimflamflarnfilth Sat 25-Jul-15 08:47:59

The rant, though disgusting, was 8 years ago. I believe that at this time he was struggling with alcohol abuse and depression. No excuse for what was said but perhaps an explanation for such ugly behaviour.
The fact the WWE has removed him from hall of fame will have no real impact on hard-core fans as you cannot wipe a childhood of memories.
For me, I'm disappointed with him and believe his apology is genuine. I will not hate him or vilify him but I do believe he has forever tainted his reputation. It is right that he is no longer promoted to new or younger fans at this point.
There are many wrestlers battling demons, some publicly. I can name a few off the top of my head that have been arrested for drink driving and others dealing with drug abuse, alcohol abuse and even violence against their partners.
I think the whole industry needs help.

Sundaysmumisfullofwine Sat 25-Jul-15 08:57:18

The wrestling industry is as rotten as they come. For WWE it's about public image at this moment in time, nothing more. They still employ others who have made equally racist comments but who are not so high profile.
Given everything that had happened in wrestling over the last 25 years, and it's still the same morally bankrupt shitty industry it's always been, it's hard to to see how anything will change until McMahon shuffles off.

GrumpyOldBiddy2 Sat 25-Jul-15 09:05:20

You can even commit rapes and child abuse and all is forgiven (if you're male).

confused what???!!!

BlueThursday Sat 25-Jul-15 09:19:46

The thing is Sunday that even when McMahon goes he'll only be replaced by his carbon copies

Sundaysmumisfullofwine Sat 25-Jul-15 09:58:53

I was thinking more of the stories that will come out about Vince, if even a quarter of the rumours are true. But yes, VKM will certainly have secured his empire as much as he can do.

Birdsgottafly Sat 25-Jul-15 12:54:15

Grumpy, I was immediately thinking of Mike Tyson and R Kelly, but there could be hundreds I could name.

I watch reality TV, "Come dine with me", "Coach Trip", really offensive sexism is allowed to be spouted, even if it upsets the others, but Racism wouldn't.

The OP was questioning whether he should of been dropped, in the U.S. they clamp down on a suggestion of Racism.

Myname15 Sun 26-Jul-15 16:18:09

Yeah really don't like this whitewashing history tbh.
I wouldn't use it as a reason to get rid of him personally. Far better to remember and learn, I think

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now