Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to feel a bit sad for the grumpy hipsters on holiday

(217 Posts)
FatherHenderson Fri 24-Jul-15 22:37:02

We're in a very naice holiday town in the south west. Most holiday makers seem to be pretty happy to be here and are pleasant; the walkers say hello, the posh people off the massive boats seem quite cheery, the young harassed families all seem grateful for a smile, but my god, the London hipsters are so bloody miserable...

Everyone else manages a hello, or holds gates open, but the folk with asemetrical hair seem intent on scowling at everyone.

I'm not saying you should talk to people on holiday but AIBU to think that when you are on holiday, you should at least try not to be so bloody miserable?

BabyGanoush Fri 24-Jul-15 22:38:52

it's not cool to smile.

Everybody who is anyone knows that

now buzz off you country bumpkin with your inane grin hmm

BabyGanoush Fri 24-Jul-15 22:39:26

wink

milliemanzi Fri 24-Jul-15 22:39:35

What an odd generalisation to make!

ilovesooty Fri 24-Jul-15 22:40:52

I have assymetrical hair. I don't think I'm miserable.

SaucyJack Fri 24-Jul-15 22:44:41

Even us miseries like a change of scenery for our scowling and ennui.

Personally, I find the Isle of Wight particularly good for sitting about smoking and despairing if this is all there is to life.

FatherHenderson Fri 24-Jul-15 22:45:28

I'm sure you are not, because you love Sooty.

But it just struck me that there is a sense of camaraderie amongst lots of people in the pub, apart from a couple of families who are obviously trendy and they seem a bit cut off, if not quite rude. A bit sad really.

youbethemummylion Fri 24-Jul-15 22:45:39

I have asymmetrical hair. I think I'm too old for it. On reading this I must be too nice as well as I always say hello and hold gates open.

FatherHenderson Fri 24-Jul-15 22:47:02

the Isle of Wight could drive even the jolliest Grundy to sad-eyed introspection

abigamarone Fri 24-Jul-15 22:47:21

I've just washed my hair. I just KNOW it's going to be nothing short of assymetrical tomorrow. I'll still smile at folk though.

revealall Fri 24-Jul-15 22:49:21

It's an ironic holiday. They aren't there to enjoy it.

FatherHenderson Fri 24-Jul-15 22:49:28

See, mummylion, I think that is wonderful. I think that it is my insecurities coming out. I already feel a bit frumpy, so when my gate -holding cheeriness is dissed, I fear it is a comment on my body warmer.

ilovesooty Fri 24-Jul-15 22:52:02

I'm sure your body warmer is very cosy. smile

I hadn't thought that I might be too old for my hair. One if the directors at my company did ask me last week if I'd joined the Human League though.

usualsuspect333 Fri 24-Jul-15 22:56:13

Maybe it's the lack of penny farthing bikes

RedCrayons Fri 24-Jul-15 22:56:19

It's cos the beards and twirly Moustaches are itchy in the heat.

FatherHenderson Fri 24-Jul-15 22:56:50

I'm sure you are not too old. You always have to fight the urge to just go for the good old Delia Smith haircut.
And the Human League were wonderful. Phil Oakey is aces.

I'm very fond of my body warmer. It is from a young person's surf wear company. I have ditched the Joules one...

RedCrayons Fri 24-Jul-15 22:57:49

Have just realised your holiday in UK. So heat is obviously not a problem!

usualsuspect333 Fri 24-Jul-15 22:58:32

YY the sea spray and sea mists must play havoc with their beards.

FatherHenderson Fri 24-Jul-15 22:59:29

Sadly there is not too much elaborate facial hair. I would love to see some of the boys with the really skinny jeans with low crotches get over a stile on the South West Coastal Path.

FatherHenderson Fri 24-Jul-15 23:01:04

Yes, it is cold and pissing it down. Happy days...

Pilgrimforever Fri 24-Jul-15 23:02:21

I live in a seaside town in the south west. Most of the London hipsters you'll find here actually live here and are so miserable because of the bloody tourists! grin

squoosh Fri 24-Jul-15 23:02:40

A hipster near me cycles a penny farthing. How does he get up on the saddle I dream of asking him as he whizzes past.

FloatIsRechargedNow Fri 24-Jul-15 23:03:16

Are you sure they're not locals?

ssd Fri 24-Jul-15 23:03:55

maybe the dampness is messing with their asymmetrical hair, annoys the hell out of me that does

usualsuspect333 Fri 24-Jul-15 23:05:14

It must be hard riding your penny farthing around the narrow streets of St Ives.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now