Talk

Advanced search

To feel quite ashamed of myself (contains offensive language)

(9 Posts)
Shouldhavespokenup Fri 24-Jul-15 20:15:14

I was waiting for a colleague last week (we work in pairs) - she was late but had sent a text apologising so I didn't mind.

She turned up swearing and red faced and said she'd been held up in traffic because of a 'f-king P*ki'.'

I'm so angry with myself for not calmly stating I found that sort of language unacceptable.

How would you have dealt with it?

scarlets Fri 24-Jul-15 20:17:16

I would have been horrified. I hope it was a one-off, it would be awful to have to deal with that regularly. Who still says that?!

gamerchick Fri 24-Jul-15 20:17:39

Swearing and red faced? Nothing at that moment if I had to do a shift with her.

Later on perhaps when she had calmed down.

Flissity83 Fri 24-Jul-15 20:20:25

Hmmm. Are you friends as well as colleagues? I think let it go this time but if it happens again maybe say something. I reported a colleague this week for using the term "window lickers" when referring to some staff members with learning disabilities.

Lj8893 Fri 24-Jul-15 20:21:02

I would have said I didn't find that language appropriate and then would have also reported her for it. However, I work in a job in which diversity is a massive part of it (for some reason I am feeling that your job is similar to mine) and if she is using language like that she would be absolutely in the wrong job.

Shouldhavespokenup Fri 24-Jul-15 20:21:54

No, we aren't friends.

Gamer, thanks for saying that - I didn't want the whole shift to be awkward.

Cabbagesaregreen Fri 24-Jul-15 20:23:02

I would have reported her. I think it's inexcusable and you're condoning it if you don't.

Wideopenspace Fri 24-Jul-15 20:23:50

'How on EARTH did you know he was from Pakistan?'

Is how I began the conversation, in a similar ish situation with a colleague.

BleachEverything Fri 24-Jul-15 20:25:19

Nothing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now