Talk

Advanced search

If you find something

(14 Posts)
TravellingHopefully12 Fri 24-Jul-15 19:48:10

I found a set of keys close to the top of Arthur's Seat a few weeks back and took them to police. DP keeps saying I should have left them on top of the top marker thing, as the person would have likely come back there for them first and by taking them out of their way I disadvantaged them...I always thought with stuff like that you went to the police though?

Who is being unreasonable, him or me? Or neither.

DoJo Fri 24-Jul-15 19:59:15

I would have taken them to the police because there's no guarantee that they will know they left them there or that someone else won't do something less helpful with them. I would always call the police if I lost my keys, even as a last resort.

CamelHump Fri 24-Jul-15 20:00:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

governmentworker Fri 24-Jul-15 20:45:03

I think in that case I would have handed them into the police. If I find something valuable that could be misused if it fell into the wrong hands (e.g. wallet or bank card) I would hand it in either to the police or the staff of the venue where I found it (if applicable). However, if I find something not specifically valuable to other people (ie one shoe that a toddler has obviously kicked off their foot on the way home) I would leave it (or move to somewhere nearby and visible if it's been left somewhere it would get damaged) as I'd assume they'd retrace their steps and no one else would want to nick it.

HolidayForever Fri 24-Jul-15 21:04:40

Definitely go to the Police Station with something like that. They probably didn't know where they lost them exactly, and any reasonable person would know to call the police to see if they have been handed in!

TravellingHopefully12 Sat 25-Jul-15 21:36:13

Thank you. I was feeling bad in case they'd gone back up looking for them when they got to their car and found they didn't have them, but I always thought police were best for that kind of stuff. The man at the station did take a report of where found and what time and things, so they should be able to identify them by that.

like government worker says, for something like a hat or a glove you leave it on a fence post or at the bus stop (once happened to me, I lost my hat and found someone had left it on the bus stop on the way back from work.)

CigarsofthePharoahs Sat 25-Jul-15 22:19:36

My youngest son kicked off a shoe on the way back from dropping his brother at preschool. I didn't realise until I got home.
When I went back to get his brother later, someone had picked up the shoe and put it on a wall. I saw it straight away.
I'd have taken the keys to the police, as others have said, they're in a safe place there. I've found a phone and a wallet and both times I've handed them in to the nearest authority, which was a supermarket and a shopping centre.
With the wallet, I waited where it had been found whilst my mum handed it in in case the person came back. They didn't, but I hope it was returned to them.

Tinkypoooooooo Sat 25-Jul-15 22:40:50

Arthur's seat?

GraysAnalogy Sat 25-Jul-15 23:32:26

I probably would have left a note

BackforGood Sat 25-Jul-15 23:47:42

Agree - something like keys go to the police, but, in an ideal world like if you happened to have some paper and a pen and something to laminate it with and then something to attach it with it would be helpful to leave a mote where you found them, saying that's what you'd done.

Whatutalkinboutwillis Sat 25-Jul-15 23:53:07

Ahhh a fellow Edinburgh lass!

IamtheDevilsAvocado Sun 26-Jul-15 11:33:45

Deffo police - as they may have no idea where they left it... Also others may not have such integrity as you.

Once i discovered i lost my wallet with loads of cards and cash - no idea where i left it or if someone had lifted it.

I rang the police... The romany family who had found it, had reported it and the police asked that they hang on to it as they were sure that someone local would have dropped it where they found it.

I collected it a few hours later complete with all cards and money... Took some beer and a cake in thanks!

TravellingHopefully12 Tue 28-Jul-15 14:05:17

That's lovely DevilsAvocado.

Sadly I didn't have a pen or paper, and didn't think to write a note, but maybe should have thought of that.

I don't think I would take a passport to the police, but I might try to find the owner online or through the contact details in the back. This is because I heard (and I don't know if it's true) that police have to send any passports back to the relevant authorities who destroy them.

Tinky, it's a big hill near where I live.

Hello Whatutalkingabout, Yup it's a good city. Lots of green places to go for dog walks. x

TheRealAmyLee Tue 28-Jul-15 14:35:25

Keys phone wallet I would take to police if no one about. Anyyhing else I would leave.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now