Talk

Advanced search

to take back my used Jo Malone candles as the quality has been declining for years

(132 Posts)
sallyknowsit Fri 24-Jul-15 18:45:40

Anyone else noticed the decline in quality both of the fragrance and flam burn.

I bought the pomegranate noir and I'm really disappointed , was thankfully the small one for 40 quid but still want to return it but I have had it lit for an hour or so.

sallyknowsit Fri 24-Jul-15 18:47:01

Forgot to say, over the last few years I've noticed their candles going down in quality, its gradual but now I don't like them.

They are pretty much like cadburys for declining quality sad

KittensOnAPlane Fri 24-Jul-15 18:53:31

No

Because I don't pay £40+ for a frickin candle

cashewnutty Fri 24-Jul-15 18:56:49

You can't take it back - it has been used. You can decide to stop buying them in future and see this one as a mistake. I actually still really like Jo Malone candles though.

Not personally but my boss has commented on this (was also pomegranate and noir)

I'd take it back tbh for that price....the cost has gone up over the years...the quality should go up with it!

RachelRagged Fri 24-Jul-15 19:04:25

wtf

Of course you can't take it back after burning it !

YABU £40 a candle ? More money than sense is alive and well

bangbangprettypretty Fri 24-Jul-15 19:05:20

Jo Malone the woman isn't actually involved with the company any more - she sold the name and now makes candles as Jo Loves - I think the quality might be better.

I find White Company candles have gone hugely downhill in recent years hmm

mysteryfairy Fri 24-Jul-15 19:10:59

If you think it's not fit for purpose take it back. I think you have a reasonable chance of a refund. I wouldn't personally do it but would just make a note not to buy again in the future

expatinscotland Fri 24-Jul-15 19:13:36

Jo Malone was always a rip off merchant.

TheHouseOnBellSt Fri 24-Jul-15 19:13:38

Of course she can take them back! They don't do what they say they will do.

mrspremise Fri 24-Jul-15 19:16:47

Serves you right for spending £40 on a candle when there are people who can't buy food.

TulipsAndSwifts Fri 24-Jul-15 19:18:40

I just looked at the Jo Loves site - £325 for a candle shock

TheHouseOnBellSt Fri 24-Jul-15 19:21:26

MrsPremise what a silly comment. OP can spend her money on whatever she wants to and shouldn't be judged. Unless she was donating to UKIP or something. Luckily they don't make luxury candles...or we'd be buggered.

ShatnersBassoon Fri 24-Jul-15 19:21:42

Yes, you can take it back. It must be faulty if it doesn't smell as it should. You'd have had to have burnt it for a while to know it wasn't right, so that's not a problem.

TinyManticore Fri 24-Jul-15 19:22:16

Holy crap, that much for a candle? That you light, and it melts, and then it's gone? shock I hear good things about the perfumes and stuff but, a candle? shock

Loula117 Fri 24-Jul-15 19:22:54

I think it's worth a try, at least register your complaint. Maybe don't say you've noticed they've been declining in quality over years, but perhaps suggest you got one from a bad batch, less fragrance used, repeat customer etc.

(And obviously YABU for daring to buy a luxury item. Do make sure you walk to the shop barefoot won't you?)

The5DayChicken Fri 24-Jul-15 19:24:08

Don't do what they say they do? Are they promising an orgasm or something? It's a scented candle. It promises to burn and emit scent. It does that but OP doesn't like the scent. It might be £40 but it's used and isn't faulty so the company would be extremely generous to take it back.

lokidokey Fri 24-Jul-15 19:25:09

I think some people need to realise that how other folk spend their hard earned cash is entirely their business. wink

Loula117 Fri 24-Jul-15 19:26:22

I spend on things like candles and skincare, but hardly ever buy ready-meals, takeaways, coffees or makeup. Surely everyone is allowed to choose their own luxuries, assuming they can afford them?

annandale Fri 24-Jul-15 19:26:52

Massive LOL at the UKIP scented candle range, they are missing a trick there. Fleurs de Farage, Nigel Noir (or Nigel Blanc for the more extreme members, Violette et Jaune, Vive Le Livre...?

ghostyslovesheep Fri 24-Jul-15 19:28:37

Glade Vanilla on offer in Morrisons - £2 - they saw you coming OP

Nanasueathome Fri 24-Jul-15 19:29:58

You can email Jo Malone and raise your concerns there
I did this when they mixed up a price for bath oils set, the price in the printed brochure was half the price in the store and online
They sold me the oils at the brochure price and sent them by mail

The5DayChicken Fri 24-Jul-15 19:31:25

FWIW OP, I don't begrudge you buying expensive candles. Can't afford them myself but I'd definitely indulge if I could smile. Bloody love candles.

ShatnersBassoon Fri 24-Jul-15 19:33:12

People's spending does not need policing by strangers on the Internet. Spend your money how you choose and please yourself.

smokedgarlic Fri 24-Jul-15 19:33:30

The perfume is crap now toosad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now