Talk

Advanced search

Goods delivered twice, WWYD?

(60 Posts)
cremedecacao Fri 24-Jul-15 18:30:27

So... I ordered a candle from a luxury brand for a friends wedding present, engraved with the date of her wedding. I have been sent two, both engraved, but charged for only the one I had ordered. As the item is personalised, AIBU in thinking that there is no point in telling the company as no one else would want it anyway? The engraving is very very faint, and I would definitely still use it. I think it would look bizarre if I gave them both to my friend. Should I keep the candle for myself or tell the company? It was £57.

WishUponAStar88 Fri 24-Jul-15 18:32:30

Wow £57 on a candle!! I think I'd have to tell them otherwise I'd feel guilty every time I burned it. Definitely mention that both are engraved though and hopefully they'll tell you to keep it anyway!

AuntyMag10 Fri 24-Jul-15 18:34:24

Something similar happened to me recently, where I was sent the 'free gift' promotion for a beauty product by mistake. It was worth about 80pounds. I did let the company know as I know someone else would be missing out. They told me to keep it grin. Let the company know, it's the right thing to do.

ThoseAwfulCurtains Fri 24-Jul-15 18:34:57

Yup. What wish said.
And are the bees fed on orchids and angel tears?

prorsum Fri 24-Jul-15 18:35:04

If you only ordered one it's not your fault and as it's personalized I don't see what they could do with it. Keep it.

Binit Fri 24-Jul-15 18:37:55

I'd tell the company by email. If you are explicit that both items are persnalised and would they like you to send one back, they'll probably tell you to keep it anyway. But I think do be honest in this situation. Otherwise every time you burn it, you'll feel like a thief!

cremedecacao Fri 24-Jul-15 18:39:42

True! The fact I'm asking shows I feel a bit bad! Also, if anyone did notice the engraved bit I'd have to explain!

plantsitter Fri 24-Jul-15 18:42:38

Don't ask if they'd like you to send it back, but say 'I have two, what would you like me to do?' as it's their mistake I would be keeping it unless they sent someone round to pick it up!

Floggingmolly Fri 24-Jul-15 18:42:45

I did this once with a duplicate school photograph. Kept it, I mean blush
At fourteen quid a pop, I certainly didn't want two - but if I'd given the duplicate back they'd only have binned it. It's not like anyone else was going to buy a print of ds1...
Still not strictly honest, I know.

mindthegap79 Fri 24-Jul-15 18:43:07

I'd tell them, but emphasise that as it's engraved you're guessing they probably won't want it back...? But if they do then of course you're more than happy for them to arrange a courrier.

SophiesDog Fri 24-Jul-15 18:43:39

You have to tell them but of course they will let you keep it. You could give her two as a pair.

WaitingForEgg Fri 24-Jul-15 18:44:45

I now feel like a dreadful person that I would just keep it... and have done in the past!

SophiesDog Fri 24-Jul-15 18:44:50

The thing is sometimes it might be an issue with the production line, depending on the product, so letting them know is polite and also it puts the decision in their hands.

Always be the sort of person you want to see yourself as.

Spartans Fri 24-Jul-15 18:47:28

It's engraved with the date of the wedding?

It's possible that 2 couples will get married on that date. It's also possible someone has happened to order a candle with the same date on and are missing their candle.

Contact them, they may say it's fine and to keep it. Or they might want it back to fulfil another order.

kokomaloko Fri 24-Jul-15 18:50:29

I'd tell them but make it clear that you're not prepared to pay for their mistake. I'd be worried they might charge my card again!

cremedecacao Fri 24-Jul-15 18:50:29

Spartans, it has their names on too.

ListenWillYou Fri 24-Jul-15 18:55:14

I'd phone up and speak to someone - I'd be shocked if they made you return it but if they do then they should send a courier.

SpringBreaker Fri 24-Jul-15 19:08:25

I would give both as the present, matching pair of candles always looks good.

cremedecacao Fri 24-Jul-15 19:22:42

I did the right thing... I emailed them. Fingers crossed for free candle!

seaweed123 Fri 24-Jul-15 19:30:01

I got two moses basket mattresses sent once. I offered to pay for the second one, minus postage as it fit my pram too, and I figured that was win- win. But they just let me keep it :-)

cremedecacao Fri 24-Jul-15 19:33:40

I'll feel much better knowing I am allowed the candle! I would have felt guilty if I hadn't have asked! Hope they give me the response I'm after!! Cannot see why they would want it back unless its for some crazy stock take reason.

ListenWillYou Fri 24-Jul-15 21:01:39

Good luck. I'm betting on you getting to keep it.

woodleydoodle Fri 24-Jul-15 21:17:58

I'd keep it.

Flisspaps Fri 24-Jul-15 21:19:30

My understanding of the law is that if you are sent goods via mail order by mistake, you are allowed to keep them without charge.

CassieBearRawr Fri 24-Jul-15 21:57:59

I always let them know, often its more hassle for them to return it so you get to keep it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now