Talk

Advanced search

To not send my daughter to this party?

(53 Posts)
ohlittlepea Fri 24-Jul-15 17:20:36

Its a footballers and cheerleaders theme, shes a toddler, it just makes me feel yeuch.
I was thinking of sending her as a footballer, but really not sure if I want her to go at all...its just so not girl power.
But then is she missing out due to her mums weird ideologies?
any thoughts?

janx Fri 24-Jul-15 17:23:17

What a strange theme!

TheHouseOnBellSt Fri 24-Jul-15 17:25:01

If you're against cheerleaders full stop then just send her as a footballer. Perfect way to show others how it's done

I'm a feminist but I gave my DD a "Mermaids and Monsters" party when she was 4...we had male mermen and plenty of female monsters plus a couple of hybrids! DD was a Monster Mermaid...she had a "tail" and green face paint with fangs!

squoosh Fri 24-Jul-15 17:26:39

Definitely send her as a footballer. Didn't the women's England football team just do amazingly at the World Cup?

ohlittlepea Fri 24-Jul-15 17:28:13

ok so maybe a footballer with pompoms smile

ohlittlepea Fri 24-Jul-15 17:29:15

yes I dont know why it cant just be a footballer party for boys and girls xxx

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 24-Jul-15 17:30:54

What's the problem with cheerleaders?? confused

Becca83 Fri 24-Jul-15 17:31:03

I don't really see the problem?! You get male cheerleaders and female footballers, so I wouldn't think it was gender specific. Just send her as a footballer if you're that bothered. I bet there will be loads of little boys and girls in what you would construe as "opposite" costumes.

ohlittlepea Fri 24-Jul-15 17:36:43

I know cheerleaders do amazing gymnastic feats and are a sports team in themselves, Im sure most of them are hugely empowered people, but I do thinks they have a very sexualised image...for a one year old girl...also the message that boys play sport while girls shake their tushies in appreciation grates on me smile I know that is overgeneralised and unfair but its my honest prejudice.

StickyProblem Fri 24-Jul-15 17:38:28

the message that boys play sport while girls shake their tushies in appreciation grates on me - this. Well said OP.

Yarp Fri 24-Jul-15 17:39:43

There were women doing the Can-Can at the last Rugby match I saw. Gyrating, twerking, and flashing, in between the manly mean doing manly sport.

I think send her in football kit.

Yarp Fri 24-Jul-15 17:40:00

manly men

Floggingmolly Fri 24-Jul-15 17:41:06

Is it a toddler party, or has your toddler just been invited to an older child's party? It's a creepy theme for a toddlers party....

SingForBacon Fri 24-Jul-15 17:41:51

Send her as a footballer, no Pom poms necessary! Although it isn't specified, the gender stereotype is very much implied here and it would annoy me greatly too. But your daughter should still get to go, put her in a football strip for sure smile

OnlyLovers Fri 24-Jul-15 17:42:22

I do thinks they have a very sexualised image...for a one year old girl...also the message that boys play sport while girls shake their tushies in appreciation grates on me

I agree. I'd feel uncomfortable for this exact reason. Actually, I'd feel uncomfortable about this theme for a party for grown-ups, let alone toddlers.

But rather than not letting her go, I think sending her as a member of tee England women's football team would be cool.

ShipwreckedAndComatose Fri 24-Jul-15 17:42:33

Definitely send her as a footballer, I think you are right, it's lazy thinking.

OnlyLovers Fri 24-Jul-15 17:42:43

'the England women's', obviously.

ohlittlepea Fri 24-Jul-15 17:44:22

Thanks for helping smile I will order her an England kit smile

Postchildrenpregranny Fri 24-Jul-15 17:45:33

I've never seen a male cheerleader. Must Google...

squoosh Fri 24-Jul-15 17:47:12

I think Steve Martin used to be a cheerleader. How I remember such useless facts I have no idea.

ollieplimsoles Fri 24-Jul-15 17:53:08

Apart from being a bit of a boring theme for young kids (monsters or something would be way more fun), I don't see a problem with sending her as a little footballer, she would look so cute!

TwigletLola Fri 24-Jul-15 17:53:52

Samuel L Jackson used to be one too, it was a question on Pointless.

Just send her as a footballer. My DS has been to two parties as princesses. No one batted an eyelid (though if they did they'd have ex-military dh to deal with and would no doubt get a lecture on why it's perfectly find for a preschooler - or anyone else - to love pink)

woodleydoodle Fri 24-Jul-15 18:19:31

Send her as a footballer - without pom poms.

slkk Fri 24-Jul-15 18:24:37

Send her as a footballer. Or don't send her. She doesn't have to go to every party she's invited to, and at her age I'm sure she won't even notice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now