Talk

Advanced search

Right to buy - only or MAIN home

(12 Posts)
KittensOnAPlane Fri 24-Jul-15 09:45:11

You can apply to buy your council home if:
it’s your only or main home

Just watching "council house crackdown " and they have said that you can buy if it's your main home, I think it's really wrong for people to have a council house if they can afford to buy a 2nd or more home (s)

GraysAnalogy Fri 24-Jul-15 15:38:07

I'd be interested to see how many council house tenants have another home.

GraysAnalogy Fri 24-Jul-15 15:40:50

60,000 as of 2011 according to this www.conservativehome.com/localgovernment/2011/10/60000-council-tenants-own-another-home.html

asmallandnoisymonkey Fri 24-Jul-15 15:45:53

That's 60,000 too many.

GraysAnalogy Fri 24-Jul-15 15:52:28

I agree. I didn't think it was possible

ashtrayheart Fri 24-Jul-15 15:57:39

People fleeing domestic violence who can't release their interest in a marital property?

waxmytash Fri 24-Jul-15 17:07:55

Think its probably meant to stop relatives etc purchasing on 'behalf' of tennents and later profiting when they die.
I purchased my house as a RTB whilst owning a rental property . I had an inheritance which enabled me to do both but the rental property completed in weeks whilst the RTB took months.

Birdsgottafly Fri 24-Jul-15 17:16:29

It's common were a elderly person has the right to buy and a family member "moves" in (but don't have to prove they are living there), gets put on the tenancy, then inherits the right to buy, even though they're renting out property that they own.

It's usually the families that are buying the elderly people's houses, it's gone on for years.

Or when someone is in a decent CH and plans to move, relative moves in, then they get put on the tenancy, even though they own property.

It tends to happen in-regards to the "better" Council houses.

It can be genuine, though, you could be in a CH, want to buy and a Parent dies and leaves you (and your siblings) a house, so you've got a share, but it won't sell.

In that case, it's unfair that you can't buy the house that you are in.

ineedabodytransplant Fri 24-Jul-15 17:46:02

But why should there be a right to buy? Tenants get a reduced rental, no deposit is required and if they buy, that's another social housing property gone from the limited stock there is. And I grew up in council houses.

There has been a three-part programme about council housing in Portsmouth recently. I live in Portsmouth. Not in social/council housing as I saved up and bought my home, (a long time ago). In the programme the housing people were saying there isn't enough social housing stock around. I'm not going to get into who should and shouldn't get it. I know some people can't afford to save but it seems to me that we, as a country, let tenants in Social Housing rent at a rate far below 'normal' rates, then let them buy the house at a massive discount. The programme showed the difference between social rent and private rent. Why? I know the fecking Tories brought in right to buy but surely Labour had the chance to right that but didnt.

In my opinion, and that's not worth much, you either rent a social housing property or you move out and buy your own property, but if you do buy a social house then you pay the full market rate and the money received gets ring-fenced for more social houses. No more ridiculous discounts.

BathtimeFunkster Fri 24-Jul-15 17:50:44

There shouldn't be a right to buy.

It's the unjustified privatising of a public good.

asmallandnoisymonkey Fri 24-Jul-15 18:35:23

There should be no right to buy. It's completely unreasonable. I'm sorry that maybe someone would like to own the house they've lived in for years, but the bottom line is that it's not their house, it's for the benefit of society. We're seeing the repercussions of the right to buy scheme now.

Kraggle Fri 24-Jul-15 18:39:40

I work in housing and wish RTB didn't exist.

We exclude homeowners from our waiting list unless there a mitigating circumstances eg severe medical needs they are unable to resolve or fleeing domestic violence, but these are assessed and you have to prove yourself to be allowed on the list.

We have too many people waiting for a house and not enough stock.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now