Talk

Advanced search

To complain about builders across the road

(17 Posts)
Pollu Fri 24-Jul-15 09:27:40

I know I'm going to sound like a serial complainer but I don't think I am.
Builders across the road start work at 8am and have done EVERYDAY for the pass 2 months.
Sandin, hammering, shouting, it's so irritating!
For God sake WHEN WILL THEY BE FINISHED ITS BEEN TWO MONTHS!

I also have single pane windows!
Also my neighbour next door has her tv blaring EVERY morning at 7am and pass 11pm at night!

Moving isn't an option!

Can someone help me with a polite note to my neighbour about her tv I can hear every advert
And aibu to complain to the council about the builders?

Pollu Fri 24-Jul-15 09:28:58

Oh and I work shifts so my lay ins are interrupted by the builder and my nights off by my neighbour and her loud tv at night angry

FenellaFellorick Fri 24-Jul-15 09:36:46

If the builders start later it will take them even longer to finish. You could contact them and ask how long they expect to be working for? Maybe ask to keep noise down where possible. You cant do anything about building noise. No such thing as a silent hammer grin but perhaps they could not shout if they dont need to.

Its a shame you cant get double glazing. Must be noisy and drafty!

Re the neighbour perhaps talking might be better than a note.
start a chat about the terrible soundproofing.

TwinkieTwinkle Fri 24-Jul-15 09:48:09

I have builders in my street whip start at 7.30 inn what will be a six month job. No point in complaining, they're just doing tbheir job. Lovely guys, always pop out and talk to ds and show us how the property is getting on. Buy some ear plugs, that's your best bet.

TwinkieTwinkle Fri 24-Jul-15 09:49:20

*who *on bloody hell, I can't type on my new phone.

chloesmumtoo Fri 24-Jul-15 10:42:05

You can't really do much about the builders, like already said, they have a job to do. As for your neighbour, l would personally leave well alone. It could work either way, they could respect you or take offence causing more stress\problems. I tend to feel when people work nights/shifts you can't really expect other people to alter their lives for you, its the downside of taking that sort of job.
I tend to do all my housework around the house in the Mornings whilst all the family is out of the house . Although I do try to consider my lovely neighbours as I know one of them does shifts. If I see their car I try to delay vacuuming early or don't put music on but we do all have different lives with different routines which makes things awkward. They have never asked me to be quiet, i just try out of decency when I can.
I have already told my ds not to apply for night shift positions due to our household as it would not work out with the rest of the family. What he does when he lives elsewhere is up to him.
I feel for you as sleep deprivation is horrid but also don't see how you can keep others quiet as it's not fair either. Just like if your neighbours had children they would not be able to keep them silent, just one of those awful things about shifts. I second the ear plug idea

Scholes34 Fri 24-Jul-15 10:44:27

It's the neighbour having the work done you need to speak to to find out how long the work will last. I'm sure the 8.00 am starts would be more bearable if you've an idea of when they might end.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 24-Jul-15 10:52:02

When you say everyday, does that mean Mon-Fri or include weekends?
There are laws/bylaws about times at weekends.

We had a year of the NDN doing up their house to put on the market but they could only do weekends.

7am Sunday with someone drilling the wall anyone? hmm

PtolemysNeedle Fri 24-Jul-15 12:24:32

YWBU to complain about the builders. 8am is not that early, it's a perfectly normal time for them to start work and building work is never going to be silent. You might need building work done on your house one day so unless you want to live in the arse end of nowhere surrounded by fields, you do just have to put up with other people.

I can understand a neighbours TV noise being annoying, but people don't tend to have their tellies loud just for fun, they are probably hard of hearing and wouldn't be able to watch a programme if they didn't turn the sound up, so I think it would be mean to complain about it.

It sounds like you might just be more noise sensitive than most, I don't know what you can do about that, but you can't blame other people for the fact that you only have single glazing.

TwoAndTwoEqualsChaos Fri 24-Jul-15 14:48:35

As a PP said, there are often local laws about working week-ends.

Yarp Fri 24-Jul-15 14:51:16

Check with your local Council's website, under Noise Nuisance. There are normally rules about when building noise should begin and end in the day.

Yarp Fri 24-Jul-15 14:54:11

... our council website says Noisy Works are allowed 8am-6pm week days.

I might complain of there was a load of swearing

As for the TV - tricky if neighbour is hard of hearing, but they may have no idea how loud it is. Maybe a friendly word. I'd hate to think my TV was disturbing anyone

Yarp Fri 24-Jul-15 14:56:52

70s

Our LA says 8-1 fine on Saturdays

We had a notice through our door about works on a Sunday once (it wasn't us!)

jelliebelly Fri 24-Jul-15 15:02:12

I don't think complaining will get you anywhere tbh. Better off investing in some decent earplugs!

NadiaWadia Fri 24-Jul-15 15:21:51

Ptomelys but being hard-of-hearing doesn't excuse you from consideration for others. My own hearing seems to be getting worse, but I wouldn't do this. That's what sub-titles are for.

Radicalrooster Fri 24-Jul-15 16:07:43

8am is a perfectly legitimate time for building work to start. My neighbour's builders start on the dot at 8 each morning, six days a week and have done so since February. I don't have a problem with it.

ineedabodytransplant Fri 24-Jul-15 17:21:05

Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to do any building work 'quietly'. It will be finished one day and you can get peace again. It's not a never-ending project.

As for the NDN's TV noise. I do have trouble hearing some programmes so really need the TV volume up higher than normal. But I don't. I use sub-titles and a lower volume setting. Works for me, except when a programme doesn't have sub-titles. Then I need to either change channels or put a Blu-ray on grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now