Talk

Advanced search

To ask if we can share ideas for things to do over the holidays

(15 Posts)
CoffeeBeanMonster Fri 24-Jul-15 09:21:05

We take picnics to the parks when it's sunny and go to the cheap kids' club cinema.

What does everyone else do?

taptapioca Fri 24-Jul-15 11:54:43

We haven't been out much so far as one of the DC was a little poorly.

I have been collecting recycling and boxes and have got a pack of coloured paper. Then I have put them on the side and left them to it. You have to not mind constant mess but they are entertained. I have actually been shocked at how much of a success the coloured paper was.

A game that lasted ages was buckets of water in the garden and sponges. They 'washed' up their garden toys and then moved on to fences etc. They were a total state after but it took ages and they loved it. They bragged to Daddy as soon as he got in how much work they had done.

How old are your DC? Mine are 5 and 3. As we haven't been able to go out much they have really rediscovered their toys. I am constantly tidying up but they seem so relaxed and happy now.

Having said all of this, we are now off to McDonalds and looking for some more cheap craft stuff in the shops. I think we need to make sure we go out once this week and it is raining today so a walk to town it is!

ChwatFeechers Fri 24-Jul-15 12:01:13

Go to museums in the area, nature trails, painting pictures on large stones/slates, bike rides, baking.

There are lots of tutorial videos on YouTube of things to make.

addicted2cake Fri 24-Jul-15 12:30:47

Join the libraries reading challenge. Read 6 books throughout the holidays, after each 2 books go back to the library, choose 2 more and collect stickers. We've done this every year for the past 6 years I think!
Beach days, cinema club, friends over for play dates, picnics in the parks, museums, visiting family, craft days, baking days, farm visits, movie days at home.

CoffeeBeanMonster Fri 24-Jul-15 12:45:33

Great ideas everyone. Thanks very much. My son is 8 and he would love to do any of the activities mentioned.

MissPenelopeLumawoo2 Fri 24-Jul-15 13:10:30

I have a whole load of places to take my DC if it would just stop raining!

taptapioca Fri 24-Jul-15 15:23:04

The rain was getting me down but we decided to go out anyway (wellies/coats etc). The DC loved it and I quite enjoyed it. We were jumping and scooting in puddles and then playing pooh sticks in a flooded bit. It makes the drink and cake when you get in even nicer as well grin

CoffeeBeanMonster Fri 24-Jul-15 18:18:21

Hopefully the weather will be better tommorow. I'm thinking I might go for the library option tommorow or possibly some baking..

Wideopenspace Fri 24-Jul-15 18:21:26

Urban Scavenger Hunt (list of things to find and tick off a list). My DC (3) loved it.

NittyDora Fri 24-Jul-15 18:40:40

Park bingo. We pick ten things that might be found in the park and when we've found them all we shout bingo! Its quite addictive, we've bought waterproofs so that we can keep playing on wet days.

Seffina Fri 24-Jul-15 18:52:48

Some ideas on this thread too.

MsAspreyDiamonds Fri 24-Jul-15 19:07:35

Cheap & free summer holiday activities

www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/school-holiday-deals

DoJo Fri 24-Jul-15 19:52:45

Geocaching! You can find ones that others have hidden and hide your own and then go and check on them every so often to see who has found them!
www.geocaching.com/play

ohtheholidays Fri 24-Jul-15 21:47:57

Ours only broke up on Wednesday.

But so far we have gone and visited Grandad,yesterday(my Dad)took some nice cakes with us and sat out the garden with Grandad and played with the 2 dogs.Then we went to a shop,treated all 5DC to a couple of bits each and picked up a take away for lunch.

Today DH took our youngest DD to pick up some bits from Asda,got back me,DD7 and DD12 all made some treats for the wild birds that come into the garden.DH helped them hang them off the apple tree.DD12 made some chocolate cornflake cakes for us all.
We had lunch and watched a movie,DS13 played on the computer and worked out with the gym equipment,DS17 went out for a few hours with his friends,DD12 spent a few hours with one of her friends,oldest DS19 at work all day and myself and DH played with youngest DD7.

Fingers crossed for nice weather tomorrow,so that we can pack a picnic and got to a lovely park(only 20 minutes drive away)that sits along side the river,has a massive paddling pool and loads of play equipment.All free,bar a few pounds for parking and the Ice cream van.

DH has picked up some cheap white t-shirts and white socks so that I can do some tie dye with the kids one day.

Other days out I've planned are.
Swimming.
Bowling.
Cinema.
Museums(2 different one's)we'll visit them on seperate days.
Going to keep those activity's for days the weather isn't great.
A weeks holiday.
Fruit picking and lunch out.
Day trip to the seaside.
A Theme Park.Legoland.
A Theme Park.Chessington.
A Theme Park.Thorpe park.
A Boat Ride and Lunch out.
The Fair.
Carboot sale.
A Summer fete.
A BBQ at home with lots of friends and family.
4 Kingdoms.
We'll visit my Dad a few times over the holidays and take a nice lunch for us all to share.
Visiting my Auntie and Uncle.
Henley with a picnic.
That's as far as my plans have got so far.

Geography999 Fri 24-Jul-15 22:32:50

I have spent today teaching my 12 year old how to list things on EBay. She is perfectly capable of doing it and really loved taking the photos, writing the descriptions etc. She is now beyond excited to see how much she will get for her old clothes. We tidied her bedroom in the process. Any money made will be spent on nice days out in the holidays, so a great use of a rainy day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now