Talk

Advanced search

Effing salted caramel!!!!!

(105 Posts)
1Morewineplease Fri 24-Jul-15 06:51:19

its everywhere!!!! Yes it's an interesting flavour but does it have to be in just about everything these days?... Chocolate bars, popcorn, puddings, spreads etc..You can't even open a food magazine without recipes for using it!!!. It literally is the flavour of the month!
I really think it's The Emperor's New Clothes tbh. It's almost as ubiquitous as pulled pork or chorizo!!!! Bloody everywhere!!! AIBU to want to hurl it out of the window ( in whatever form it takes!) . Am just a tad testy with the food industry for treating us like lemmings.

Would be interested to see what all you lovely MNers would like to see the back of food wise too!

FarFromAnyRoad Fri 24-Jul-15 07:25:25

It's always something. This time next year it'll be another flavour. It's the nature of the industry isn't it - there always has to be a 'craze'. Only a matter of time before there's a Salted Caramel pizza on the shelves at Asda grin

JassyRadlett Fri 24-Jul-15 07:27:31

It makes sickly awful ubiquitous caramel vaguely palatable, so I'm all in favour. grin

StealthPolarBear Fri 24-Jul-15 07:30:10

I agree. I love salt (too much). I love a nice Cadbury caramel. The two have NOTHING to do with one another.
We need to place bets on what the next craze will be. I'll go for sicilian lemon and meringue.

cedricsneer Fri 24-Jul-15 07:31:18

I would have salted caramel toothpaste if they made it.

AboutTimeIChangedMyNameAgain Fri 24-Jul-15 07:31:24

Yanbu. I don't like it either.

midnightvelvetPart2 Fri 24-Jul-15 07:31:29

yabu for making me want to eat salted caramel, lemons & meringue at 7:30 in the morning.

I would fill the bath with salted caramel if I could & eat my way out grin

Spartans Fri 24-Jul-15 07:32:45

Salted caramel has been around for a few years.....I know as my company has made a salt caramel product for 2 years. No I won't stop selling it because a lot of people had also used it. It's our top seller, why would I?

When it no longer sells much, we won't make it anymore. But I am not stopping making money from it because some people thinks it being over done. Lots of people are buying products with it.

Yabu, I'd you don't want or like it. Don't buy it.

Personally, I am not a huge fan. But the publi in general are.

Queenbean Fri 24-Jul-15 07:35:00

It's horrible, and the only thing that's more horrible is pulled pork

My friend works for a PR agency and they're desperately pushing pulled chicken, they want that to be the next "big thing". Pulled chicken sounds even more revolting than pulled pork.

HicDraconis Fri 24-Jul-15 07:37:17

Have managed to avoid eating anything with salted caramel on it /preen. I do love a good slow cooked pulled pork though.

Tizwailor Fri 24-Jul-15 08:30:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AdeleDazeem Fri 24-Jul-15 10:26:04

Yanbu, keep yer salt outta my caramel!

I also don't want chocolate that has fruit in it. Raisins or orange flavouring. They're always bringing out orange versions of chocolate. I do like mint chocolate though.

GooodMythicalMorning Fri 24-Jul-15 10:34:15

I dislike it. Cant figure out why its so popular. I prefer ordinary caramel flavour.

SistersofPercy Fri 24-Jul-15 10:57:18

I've been making pulled chicken in my slow cooker for years. Am I actually ahead of things for once?

shellistar Fri 24-Jul-15 10:58:58

Cedricsneer you are my new favourite person, for both your toothpaste suggestion and your username!

Now I have the raccoons theme stuck in my head!

jenenberry Fri 24-Jul-15 11:04:50

And popcorn now is sweet & salted. What's that about? confused
I want one or the other.

YY to pulled pork. Wish they would stfu about the stuff, it's everywhere.

TequilaMockinBird Fri 24-Jul-15 11:09:40

YANBU, I'm sick of the sight of both salted caramel and pulled pork.

I really don't like pulled pork. I was in a sandwich shop last week and one of the specials on the chalkboard was 'BBQ Pork'. Without thinking, I asked the young lad behind the counter 'do you pull your pork' shockblush. Oh how the rest of the queue behind me laughed!

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Fri 24-Jul-15 11:15:33

I love salted caramel, I don't see it everywhere. What I'd really love to not see any more is so much bloody chocolate everything. It's everywhere. For those who don't like chocolate (me for one!), it's difficult to find a dessert that isn't at least inextricably laced with the invidious, nasty, gloopy stuff.

As for 'pulled' anything, it's just shedded, no? I'd rather have the lump and just chew it.

bilbodog Fri 24-Jul-15 11:26:08

I used to love doing slow cooked shoulder of lamb - about 15 years ago - but now all this slow cooking and shredding has become so popular the price of lamb shoulders has soared! I can't wait for it to be out of fashion again and then I can afford to buy it again!

GooodMythicalMorning Fri 24-Jul-15 11:28:52

Yeah I thought pulled is shredded too. Shredded duck has been about forever.

SpecificOcean Fri 24-Jul-15 11:29:49

I love it. Especially the salted caramel slices from Gregg's shock

electricflyzapper Fri 24-Jul-15 11:32:20

I'm no lemming! I have never eaten pulled pork (whatever that is!) and only had salted caramel very recently when I thought I really ought to find out what all the fuss is about and so made a salted caramel chocolate tart.

OMG! It was HEAVEN!

I have a caramel sauce I make to go on icecream, and, after eating the salted caramel tart, thought I would try a bit of salt in my caramel sauce. It is like crack cocaine. I am utterly addicted and cannot get enough.

But I'm no lemming, oh no....

Don't worry OP, it's time will pass. I still go crazy for sun dried tomatoes, but I have noticed they aren't as ubiquitous as they once were.

AnneLovesGilbert Fri 24-Jul-15 11:36:12

YANBU. But I doubt it's going anywhere. I'm still waiting for chilli chocolate, in all its unnecessary forms, to do one. Chilli - yes. Chocolate - likewise. Together? Piss off.

MERLYPUSSEDOFF Fri 24-Jul-15 11:36:43

Do you remember the chilli/chocolate combo ? I bet that will resurface.

Green18 Fri 24-Jul-15 11:41:32

Chocolate philly!! That has to be the worst surely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now