Talk

Advanced search

to send DS to school in a girls blazer?

(48 Posts)
sweetkitty Thu 23-Jul-15 22:38:11

DS starts primary school in August, as we are in Scotland chances are he will wear it for a week or two this year and maybe a few weeks end of term next year.

He has 3 big sisters so I have a range of blazer all in different sizes, I grudge paying for a new boys blazer just for a few weeks wear.

What's the difference anyway a few cents in the back/buttons on the wrong side?

RealityCheque Thu 23-Jul-15 22:40:58

Yabu

Passmethecrisps Thu 23-Jul-15 22:42:39

Primary? No one will know or care.

I wore a blazer to secondary school and for the first year I had a boy's one. It was new but there were no girl's ones left. It never bothered me

annoyedisright Thu 23-Jul-15 22:42:58

Yes, you are being unreasonable.

I was bullied for 5 years because my mum sent me in a boys blazer.

By the poor kid a boys blazer.

Passmethecrisps Thu 23-Jul-15 22:44:21

Why will he only wear it for a few weeks?

Do the Blazers look worn? That would be my main issue rather than the way the buttons were.

WankerDeAsalWipe Thu 23-Jul-15 22:44:36

Simple answer is, for so little wear why bother at all?

I am sure not all children will be wearing one anyway. Do you have any of the fleeces or raincoats instead?

A friend was sold a boys blazer for her daughter starting P1 by the school supplier (as were all the girls) as they were "unisex". Strangely she has just bought a new one for P3 and all of a sudden it's a girls one hmm

catkind Thu 23-Jul-15 22:44:56

WTF, there's a difference between girls' and boys' blazers? I wore school blazers for 8 years and never even realised. Including I think handing down to my brother. Yes do it. Be surprised if anyone noticed.

Actually, DS has an officially "girls'" coat - the colours of the boys ones were too dull for him, he wanted the red one. Some idiots told him it was a girls' coat for a couple of days, he told them they were being silly, end of story. I think he may have got self conscious about his favourite lurid pink hat tho sad

If he's worried, perhaps for future you could find a girl in his class who has big brothers and do a swap...

isthatmorelego Thu 23-Jul-15 22:46:45

Yes you are poor child will get bullied kids can be cruel even more these days than ever.

WankerDeAsalWipe Thu 23-Jul-15 22:50:15

Why will he only wear it for a few weeks?

Because OP is in Scotland chances of having suitable weather for a small primary child to wear a blazer are very slim and probably add up to a couple of weeks over the year.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Thu 23-Jul-15 22:50:38

Do you begrudge or can you genuinely not afford it.
If it is the first then YABVU. This is the real world and children can be so cruel. I am certain you do not want him teased for wearing s girls blazer.
If you can not afford it. Why not ask the school if they have any spare. There is no shame in financial hardship and definitely no shame in asking for help.
I always donated my DD's uniform.
They're not cheap and these shops can charge what they like because they know the children have to have them.

catkind Thu 23-Jul-15 22:52:25

5 year olds bullying? Older kids bullying 5 yr olds? I wouldn't send my kid to that school at all. Any hint of anything like that has been pounced on and sorted out by DS teachers. Schools shouldn't be like that any more. sad

Passmethecrisps Thu 23-Jul-15 22:53:05

I teach in scotland but in secondary. If genuinely the school only ask for the blazer for a few weeks rather than all year but under a winter coat I would look for an alternative.

I don't know of any primary schools who insist on Blazers beyond those in the private sector

WankerDeAsalWipe Thu 23-Jul-15 22:54:39

If you want him in the blazer for the nice photo then just do that before going to school and then let him go in shirt/tie and jersey or raincoat depending on the weather.

Passmethecrisps Thu 23-Jul-15 22:54:41

And yy to cat's point about 5yo bullying. Some of his cohort will be only just 4.5yo. I honestly don't think any of his peers will notice given that some of them will still need help toileting alone

starlight2007 Thu 23-Jul-15 22:54:49

Have you thought about organsising resale..Our PSA do them...If it was my DS ..I wouldn't ..Can he simply go without?

lilacblossomtime Thu 23-Jul-15 22:58:21

Can you easily tell its a girl's blazer? Would others definitely notice? If so then I wouldn't. If you really can't afford a boys one go straight for the winter option whatever that is. If no one would notice I might risk it.

4kidsandaunicorn Thu 23-Jul-15 23:03:02

How much is a boys blazer? I'm getting rid of all the uniform after DC3 has finished with it because it will already have been worn twice and I just thought that on his first day my PLB DC4 might feel better in new stuff. That said we can get away with Sainsburys uniform, the most expensive item is a school sweatshirt.

MadeMan Thu 23-Jul-15 23:03:34

A boy in my class at school years ago had a girls blazer with the buttons on the other side. Nobody really noticed (he never got any stick for it anyway) and I actually thought it was quite a cool jacket because unlike everyone elses, it didn't have any double or single vents at the back. smile

RagstheInvincible Fri 24-Jul-15 01:24:12

If he'd worn a girl's blazer to our school when I was a kid, his life would have been made hell on earth. For his own sake, either get him a boy's one or do without.

The5DayChicken Fri 24-Jul-15 01:45:53

If the only difference is the buttons, why not carefully unpick them and move them?

Redglitter Fri 24-Jul-15 01:49:29

If he's P1 I can't honestly imagine a 4 or 5 year old is going to have a clue that there's a difference between boys and girls blazers.

DrLego Fri 24-Jul-15 01:57:11

I find girls blazers are cut better for DS - surely not a problem at age 5.

retrorobot Fri 24-Jul-15 02:15:55

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

WandaDoff Fri 24-Jul-15 02:18:44

Do you know anyone who has girls and boys that would swap a boy's blazer for one of your girls blazers?
If you have had three children at the school already you must know lots of parents by sight at least.

Or does the school have a 2nd hand uniform sale perhaps?
Most do and if it is only going to be worn a handful of times, then chances are they'll be in good condition.

Redglitter Fri 24-Jul-15 02:25:35

catch the habit especially since you're in Scotland

confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now