Talk

Advanced search

Is honesty always the best policy?

(18 Posts)
TantricShift Thu 23-Jul-15 21:43:35

I know I am being unreasonable but I want to have a moan. My DD accidentally took a slight chip out of a car door and I owned up offering to pay for it to be fixed (thinking it would cost £100 tops). The chap has since come back with several quotes ranging from £200-350. I cannot believe that such a minor scratch could cost so much to fix. Don't get me wrong, I agreed to pay for the damage but I believe I am in the wrong job! It is a bit galling as my car is a skip on wheels and has more dents than a tin can. I am now wondering if honesty really is the best policy after all?

Hassled Thu 23-Jul-15 21:45:43

Can you not claim on your insurance? Are you sure the bloke has got genuine quotes and isn't just trying the sting you?

Hassled Thu 23-Jul-15 21:45:53

to sting you

TantricShift Thu 23-Jul-15 21:47:36

No he is genuine and I have the quotes emailed to me. I will also pay the garage directly so I know it is done. The excess on my insurance is more than those quotes so it isn't worth it.

Hassled Thu 23-Jul-15 21:52:14

Well that's a right bugger then and I feel for you. But you were right to fess up. Hope your DD is paying you back financially or in chores.

TantricShift Thu 23-Jul-15 21:55:28

Ha she is 5 and still has absolutely no understanding of money despite my moaning about it. Now may be the time to enlighten her.

Passmethecrisps Thu 23-Jul-15 21:56:00

You were right to fess up but I feel your pain. I dinged a colleague's car last year - tiny scuff mark. She got quotes and they were hundreds of pounds!

In the end she didn't get the work done although not for want of my encouragement.

A few weeks later I got my own car dinged quite badly in the same car park. It gave me real pleasure to say to the incredibly nervous chap that he was to forget it.

and I now get lots of favours at work

Dothetwist Thu 23-Jul-15 21:56:03

Yes it is.

However how deep was it because most can be tcut out with a decent buffer

TantricShift Thu 23-Jul-15 22:03:12

Pass me, gosh I wish I was in your position. I have been hoping he would tell me to forget it but he is quite keen to proceed (despite acknowledging that it seems such a lot of money for such a small chip!). He had only just got it even though it wasn't a new car he is obviously keen to keep it up together unlike me who only repairs things when they fall off. I just got stung for an ABS sensor last week at £200 so the timing couldn't be worse.
Do - I haven't thought of T-Cut. Maybe I will suggest it to him. I would do it for him if I could save a heap of cash.

FuckingLiability Thu 23-Jul-15 22:06:03

When you say a ding, do you mean a paint chip on the edge of the door or a dent in the door itself? I ask because the cost depends on the car and where the damage is. Outfits like Chipsaway can sort relatively minor dings, but as DD caused it you might have to suck it up or go through insurance.

A few months ago, someone let go of a trolley and it put a dent in DH's car. The cost to fix it in the dealership was about £900, but he got it done by a Chipsaway type outfit for £80. The dent was in the middle of the door right on the fold.

Passmethecrisps Thu 23-Jul-15 22:07:16

I know tantric! It is an awful feeling when it happens. I remember the wind catching my car door in the same frigging car park many years ago and embedding itself in the door of a jaguar! The owner assured me that he managed to t-cut it out.

Does the chip cover more than one panel? It is harsh that it is so much money.

TantricShift Thu 23-Jul-15 22:10:59

It's a slight chip where the door scraped it. Not even a centimeter long. I have sent him to Dent Magic and I will suggest Chip Away as I think even £200 is too much for such a little scratch. The garage claim that because the paint is metallic they have take the door off and spray the whole thing. Like really???

Hassled Thu 23-Jul-15 22:17:36

Sorry - I'd assumed your DD had made the chip through some parking incident or something and that you were bailing her out. As she's 5 I'll let her off repayments grin

ListenWillYou Thu 23-Jul-15 23:47:52

How irritating for you. It does seem a lot of money for what sounds like a little bit of damage. I'd really try and get him to use one of the mobile companies that repair dings at your home. You could sell it to him as it would be more convenient.

This is one of those things where I would probably be honest but where I'd feel pissed off with myself for it.

SistersofPercy Fri 24-Jul-15 00:07:15

Metallic paint is a swine to match up, I suspect the garage are telling the truth.

Getuhda348 Fri 24-Jul-15 00:20:23

I think the garage are telling the truth I'm afraid. They generally do have to spray the whole door sad

SorchaN Fri 24-Jul-15 01:13:05

My son did something similar to a brand new BMW, but made a bigger dent. The work was estimated at £1500 and it cost my husband his no claims bonus. Bloody kids! I hope you manage to find a cheaper solution.

TantricShift Fri 24-Jul-15 14:58:46

Thank you ladies for your kind replies. Sometimes you know you have to suck it up but it's good to have a bit of shared experience and sympathy to help you do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now