Talk

Advanced search

to ask how much you spent on your child's first birthday party?

(68 Posts)
Twinklestar2 Thu 23-Jul-15 19:56:12

And what did you do?

travertine Thu 23-Jul-15 19:58:27

Family round for tea. Only a year old, is more a celebration for the parents really I think.

swallowed Thu 23-Jul-15 19:59:07

We had a few friends round for coffee and cake.

How much did I spend? I suppose balloons, the cake, a plastic tablecloth..... a tenner? Fifteen quid?

Why do you ask?

Euphemia Thu 23-Jul-15 19:59:27

The first one was when she was 3 I think - local softplay-type place with a dozen friends. No idea what we spent.

pickingstrawberries Thu 23-Jul-15 19:59:43

We've never done anything.

HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs Thu 23-Jul-15 20:00:04

The cost of a cake and some paper plates. Baby didn't know anything about it. We just had a family tea party

HighwayDragon Thu 23-Jul-15 20:01:34

About £150 hired a hall, put loads of food and beer out and most of the family came. A few of my friends kids came too so spent 99p on balloons for them to bat around and gnaw on.

andadietcoke Thu 23-Jul-15 20:01:55

A fair amount, but it wasn't a party for their birthday (twins) it was a party to say thank you to everyone who had helped us survive the first year. We had a BBQ with tons of booze and cupcakes and presents for all the kids that came. It was lovely but I worry about the children's expectations for their party bags this year!!

bronya Thu 23-Jul-15 20:02:50

Cake. Family round. £10 total? Will be the same for DC2.

HighOverTheFenceLeapsSunnyJim Thu 23-Jul-15 20:02:51

Held a naming ceremony, all friends & family invited. Probably about £500 each time (food, booze, room hire).

Totality22 Thu 23-Jul-15 20:03:09

Had a family tea party at my mums so probs spent £50 on cake and balloons and party bags for the kids of the family (5 of them). Mum and dad did all the food bless them.

HighwayDragon Thu 23-Jul-15 20:03:23

Add I only did it because I was inundated with messages a month before asking what we were doing, she's the first baby in the family for 11 years!

Cheby Thu 23-Jul-15 20:03:24

Probably around £500. But only because we combined it with a naming ceremony, hired a hall, catered for 70 people (ourselves, I baked for 2 days straight with DD on my back in a sling!) and paid for fizz for everyone for a toast after the naming thing. Cost of cake was in there too, bought a professional one as i couldnt manage catering and the cake.
We wanted to host a big family party to say thanks for all the help and support in her first year, it was a lovely day.

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Thu 23-Jul-15 20:04:26

We had a BBQ and bought a paddling pool that we filled with plastic balls. It was a teddy bears picnic theme, so I bought all the kids a beanie baby. I think on food, drink, teddies, ball pool and cake I spent about £100, but the balls and pool were used time and time again.

Runningupthathill82 Thu 23-Jul-15 20:05:56

£20 or so - party tea at my mum's house for family and close friends. Everyone brought a dish to add to the buffet we put on.

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Thu 23-Jul-15 20:06:25

Should say we fed about 12 adults and 6 children.

PumpkinPie2013 Thu 23-Jul-15 20:07:00

We had close family round at the house for cake and nibbles plus got ds a helium balloon.

So maybe £20 for everything - cake, balloons, nibbles and a cake.

His christening was more expensive than his first birthday (he was christened at 4 months old). More people came, we had a cake made and we bought him a special outfit so in total probably £100 altogether.

Planning to have the family tea party for his second birthday too and will probably go for a nice day trip.

ProcrastinatorGeneral Thu 23-Jul-15 20:07:05

In the case of most of mine I took a cake to toddler group that was on that day or the closest day to the birthday. So 50p subs and the ingredients out of the cupboard for cake. Sorted! They're one, all they want to do is eat duplo and crash the biscuit plate grin

XiCi Thu 23-Jul-15 20:07:51

Probably about £150. Family Bbq

CheeseAndBeans Thu 23-Jul-15 20:08:00

We hired a hall, soft play, and all our friends from baby groups plus family and kids came. Was about 20 kids and 30 adults. All in with food and decorations etc it cost about £250.
It was a lovely day, I really wanted to do something special. But, in hindsight it was so stressful and she won't remember it at all. I think it was more for me really, a few of the other mums did similar and if I am totally honest it all got a bit secretly competitive!
I did homemade decorations, invites, over the top party bags, big cake.
I probably should have just done a tea party at home - that's what we will be doing this year and will do til school age!

Twinklestar2 Thu 23-Jul-15 20:09:05

I'm asking because I'm wondering if £500 is too extravagant. That includes hire of hall, soft play, bouncy castle and food. I've got 21 adults and 10 kids coming so far.

pickingstrawberries Thu 23-Jul-15 20:10:00

I must admit I don't understand it - at all.

It's not really a party for the baby, is it? Just a party.

Wafflenose Thu 23-Jul-15 20:15:05

I think that''s a lot for a 1 year old's party. We didn't do anything when ours were 1. When they were 2 and 3, we just had the neighbours' kids round for a play in the garden and a bit of party food. One time we borrowed a bouncy castle too (from a friend) so even at age 2/3 we probably spent about 40 quid.

mugglingalong Thu 23-Jul-15 20:17:19

We just went to aquarium and had takeaway, however they had all had christening parties. The only thing that you need to consider is are you likely to be able to do similar for subsequent dc. It would be a bit sad if you look over photos in 10yrs and dc2 (if you plan to have more) asks what you did for their first birthday. You probably don't need bouncy castle and soft play if you want to cut costs somewhere.

Twinklestar2 Thu 23-Jul-15 20:17:29

My immediate family is 10 adults and 5 kids before I even invite anyone from my husband's side or any friends.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now