Talk

Advanced search

friend going on holiday

(36 Posts)
autolight12 Thu 23-Jul-15 18:25:10

a friend is going on holiday , leaving two dogs at home , he is going to ask someone to pop in every day in the morning to unlock the dog flap ,put food out and top up water , then go back later to lock flap for the night , has any one else done this or do you think it is unreasonable .

StillStayingClassySanDiego Thu 23-Jul-15 18:27:29

Very very unreasonable and awful for the dogs.

Tell him he's a twat and you'll have to report him for neglect.

Bostin Thu 23-Jul-15 18:27:55

My parents used to leave our dog alone. He would be visited, fed and walked twice a day. I wouldn't do it though

Sirzy Thu 23-Jul-15 18:29:01

Our neighbour does this. The poor dog barked non stop most days. We reported it to the RSPCA last time, no idea if they did anything hopefully when they next go away they will sort proper care.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Thu 23-Jul-15 18:29:39

What happens if that person can't help, falls ill, has an accident?

What about the dogs then?

ilovechristmas1 Thu 23-Jul-15 18:30:14

hes being very selfish and neglectful

poor dogs,they need human company,walks etc etc

confusedandemployed Thu 23-Jul-15 18:31:42

No no no no no YANBU. Poor, poor animals.

However if they are visited a minimum of once in 24 hours the RSPCA won't do anything. Apparently this is acceptable treatment of living beings hmm

MrsMummyPig Thu 23-Jul-15 18:32:13

I don't have a dog so maybe very wrong here but to me it doesn't really sound much different to the amount of attention they would get if they were in an animal shelter. Its not ideal but as long as the person can be trusted to turn up everyday to check on them and feed them and its not a three month plus round the world trip I think its probably ok.

autolight12 Thu 23-Jul-15 18:33:30

they wont be taken out for walks , it will be 5 minutes to sort food and water and unlock or lock up , it is for 7 days .

woowoo22 Thu 23-Jul-15 18:34:19

Awful.

silverglitterpisser Thu 23-Jul-15 18:37:06

Cruel but meets "minimum expected standards" apparently sad hmm .

Icimoi Thu 23-Jul-15 18:38:34

Can they get exercise via the dog flap?

TheWitTank Thu 23-Jul-15 18:39:00

I wouldn't do it with my two. Five minutes outside here and there just isn't enough. When you commit to having dogs, you take on the expense and inconvenience as well as the nice bits. Just paid £500 plus for my two to be in kennels for two weeks while we are away shockwine. I know they will be looked after, walked and will have "play time" for 2 x half an hour per day. I can check up on them online too. You get pets, you look after them properly.

VenusVanDamme Thu 23-Jul-15 18:39:59

Awful hmm no way I could do this to DDog, he stays with family or comes with us if not going abroad.

TheWitTank Thu 23-Jul-15 18:41:07

Is he expecting the dogs to cross their legs the entire day between their five minute dash outside?! Fucking hell.

TheAnswerIsYes Thu 23-Jul-15 18:42:03

Reasonable for a cat, not for a dog.

piddlemakesmegiggle Thu 23-Jul-15 18:42:18

We decided when we bought a dog that we would only go on holiday/away if she could come with us. Even a stay in a hotel has to be in a dog friendly place with us going for breakfast in shifts.

People should not have animals if they aren't prepared to change their lifestyles to accommodate them.

Backforthis Thu 23-Jul-15 18:43:02

Your friend is a cunt.

Cat2014 Thu 23-Jul-15 18:43:23

Cat - ok, but dog - no way!

autolight12 Thu 23-Jul-15 18:43:42

there is a garden , the dog flap will be open from about 8am till 10 pm .they are barkers so i doubt the neighbours will be happy .

Battleshiphips Thu 23-Jul-15 18:44:57

I wouldn't do it. Our dog either comes with us or my dsis doggy sits for us if we are going with FIL as he is not a doggy person.

MrsMummyPig Thu 23-Jul-15 18:48:45

What if they escaped? I would be concerned about that. No one would notice they were gone for hours and even then, would this person be bothered to go out to look for them at 10pm if he had only popped in to feed them?

TheWitTank Thu 23-Jul-15 18:51:20

Way to piss off the neighbours and I imagine the garden will be just delightful with a holiday time amount of dog shit build up.
Poor dogs.

ClashCityRocker Thu 23-Jul-15 18:54:58

No, it's not fair on the dogs...

And not particularly secure either.

I would have thought the dogs would be quite distressed by it. Serves him right if they chew up the house.

Unfortunately, I suspect the rspca would not be interested as they have food, water, shelter and opportunity to exercise.

It's still a shitty way to treat an animal though.

autolight12 Thu 23-Jul-15 18:55:04

dont think they thought about if the person never turned up through illness or them escaping , i wouldnt leave mine and just thought it wrong , but i know everyone has different views .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now