Talk

Advanced search

parking rage

(45 Posts)
Casper27 Thu 23-Jul-15 11:55:16

So after parking and popping into the local post office with 5 month old DS, I returned to find a man pulling up and parking exceptionally close to my passenger side. He visibly struggled to get out and his door was pushed up against my car. Realising there was no way could get DS' s car seat in so I said with a big smile " Excuse Me, I hate to be rude but would you mind moving your car over slightly. I'm going to struggle to get my son's car seat in and I don't want to hit your car". He's reply was a pretty aggressive and very rude " Oh For gods sake!" Followed by " can't you move your car!" Then "put your son in from the other side" not easy in his maxi cosi otherwise I would have done.

I stood my ground, he moved his car and stormed off - I said very loudly and politely "Thankyou". Totally Raging - I hate confrontation, why be soo rude to me.

Stinkylinky Thu 23-Jul-15 11:58:52

YANBU. I couldn't get my newborn DS in the passenger door the other day or through the drivers side so had to sit and wait until someone moved their car.

To be fair, it was at the local shop/Drs and the car park is stupidly tight without manoeuvring a car seat.

Wishful80sMontage Thu 23-Jul-15 12:04:12

Yanbu some people just don't think do they?! I was blocked in at work by a lorry delivering something to the staff kitchens I asked if he would be long - he said 15 mins so I asked if he could move so I could get my car out as I had to pick dd from childminders good god you'd have thought Id asked him to give me the moon on a stick- after he'd thrown a strop he eventually moved!

DayLillie Thu 23-Jul-15 12:05:59

I hate confrontation, why be soo rude to me

He got out of the wrong side of the bed :D

You can't avoid all confrontation - you did well.

cjt110 Thu 23-Jul-15 12:10:51

I had sheer and utter hormonal rage when DS was 10 days old and we were in Ikea. We had purposely parked close to/over a line (I know! I know!) in a bay which bwas next to one that was next to a railing to ensure we would be able to get DS in the car. We thought NO WAY would someone park in that miniscule space and on our return, some fucker had. and there was all of 2 inches between their passenger door and ours... (Somehow they had about 6 inches between the driver door and the railing so who knows how they got out!)

DH had to pretty much bundle me into the car because I was within seconds of keying the car and smashing a window (I have NEVER felt rage like it in my life - I DO blame hormones)... Anywho I digress

The man sounds like an arse. A man who perhaps doesnt understand the struggle of getting in and out with child seats too.

YANBU - Next time, key their car grin

coolaschmoola Thu 23-Jul-15 12:13:55

CJT - you do realise in that situation you and DH were the parking arsed who were lucky not to get your car keyed? I understand that hormonal rage, but they weren't the ones in the wrong hmm.

ButterflyUpSoHigh Thu 23-Jul-15 12:15:06

I don't understand why you couldn't use the other side of the car.

Cjt you deserved that for parking selfishly in the first place.

ACSlater Thu 23-Jul-15 12:15:33

CJT I must admit that if someone has parked over the line I'll squeeze right into that gap. If they don't show consideration they don't deserve it back.

cjt110 Thu 23-Jul-15 12:17:48

Oh I know in hindsight it was wrong lol. We didnt know (being new parents) that corner spaces are pretty handy, and that Ikea had parent spaces. MY non hormonal self would have looked at my hormonal self like... you asked for that idiot.

fragola Thu 23-Jul-15 12:18:01

CJT - so you thought you were entitled to two parking spaces because you had a baby?! Good job everyone doesn't think like that!

GreyAndGoldInTheMeadow Thu 23-Jul-15 12:20:04

cjt you are brave posting that here, you're going to get eaten alive rightly so

WankerDeAsalWipe Thu 23-Jul-15 12:21:36

I agree coola!

In places like IKea there are generally hoards of Parent child spaces and if none free then you try for the end of a row or you park next to the railing and leave enough space to get in as then you have the control over at least one side of your car.

What does annoy me a bit though is when I park miles from the entrance so that its a bit quieter, only to come back to cars parked on either side of me in an otherwise empty row......why do people do that?

DadfromUncle Thu 23-Jul-15 12:26:03

Wanker I do that too - one of my cars has almost no scrapes and scratches on it and I fancy trying to keep it that way (BTW my Audi collected so many I started to think people were doing it on purpose) so I park miles from any other cars all the time, but I 100% guarantee that in an otherwise empty car park, someone will come and park alongside - often too close for comfort.

bimandbam Thu 23-Jul-15 12:27:20

I once ended up clambering in over the gearbox from the passenger side when I was 9 months pregnant due to a van squeezing in at the side of me.

I sat sobbing because I hurt my bump on the steering wheel.

I would like to see parking spaces made much larger. Would be a lot easier for everyone including disabled people, those with babies and young dcs and people with larger than average vehicles.

lokiDokey Thu 23-Jul-15 12:27:25

I used to love the 2 space brigade when I had my battered old car. It was small and I could easily squeeze it down the side of a 2 spacer grin

I went to the Doctors the other week and some muppet had parked way over the line. It was the last space next to himso I took it, despite the fact it was a squeeze.
I was a bit early so still sat in the car when he came back ranting and raving that he couldn't get in. I pointed out had he parked less selfishly in the first place there would have been plenty of room. As it was I offered to pull forward and as I did he was still stood there raving. I popped my head out of the window, told him he'd got precisely 20 seconds to shut up and get in his car or I was reversing back and he could figure it out for himself. He got in and drove off.

MangoBiscuit Thu 23-Jul-15 12:27:43

Casper, good for you. I think it sounds like you handled that really well.

And go easy on CJT please? She acknowledged it was wrong and she was asking for the retaliation parking, she was just relating to the OP. It takes bravery to admit to your mistakes, at least it does on AIBU!

araiba Thu 23-Jul-15 12:33:07

i never understand people who get so angry at minor things

bigbuttons Thu 23-Jul-15 12:36:14

I work at a school. it has a car park. it is often full so cars park down the middle as well. You often have to ask someone to move, but that's ok it's the way it is, we all have staff parking signs and names on our dashboards.

The other night I went back to school for end of term party, had to park in the middle of the staff car park along with other cars. About half an hour into the party i had to go and move my car as it was blocking someone in. That's fair enough I thought. When i got there i was met by a ranting parent who had used the STAFF car park to collect her dc from and after school club and was absolutely livid with me for blocking her in.
I pointed out very calmly that I was staff parked in a staff car park and she was not. She was spitting with rage, shouting about paying extra childminder costs etc etc. i just walked away. Stupid woman.

NeitherHereOrThere Thu 23-Jul-15 12:37:47

Re the keying of cars - were you serious?!

Due to almost full car park and I had to use the only available space and the car next to me was parked close to my bay so it was struggle for me and yet coming back, I found that someone had keyed my car sad

Keying cars is just nasty and vicious.

cjt110 Thu 23-Jul-15 12:42:56

Neither Did you not see that I was grinning - Just a joke... flipping eck!

Mango, Yep. I know I was wrong and I laugh at myself now. At the time I was super raging - never acted like that before or after.

araiba You didnt get super hormonal over minor stuff 10 days post baby then?

WankerDeAsalWipe Thu 23-Jul-15 12:43:25

DadfromUncle

My car is not fancy but I like to keep it nice - I was parked in the school car park doing the pick up and I was just waiting for my last passenger when a young lad flung the car door open on the car parked next to me and dinged my door. it's only tiny and the dad wasn't happy that I complained about it but has agreed to pay for the repair - I don't care that it's tiny, I appreciate it wasn't deliberate but care wasn't taken - the boy was about 12. I've drummed into mine since they were small but old enough to enter and exit the car themselves about taking care when opening doors etc. I was parked first and smack in the middle of my space.

Jayne35 Thu 23-Jul-15 12:45:09

I have started deliberately parking in far corners of car parks for a bit more exercise and it's great, loads of space as everyone else is trying to park as close as possible. grin

Cars have got wider though and spaces don't always allow for that.

WankerDeAsalWipe Thu 23-Jul-15 12:45:33

araiba I'm guessing you are the one causing all the grief to others then rather than being on the receiving end grin

WankerDeAsalWipe Thu 23-Jul-15 12:49:17

I agree that keying cars is nasty though - however much I have felt like doing it, I never would. You also cannot ever guarantee that the car parked over the line when you get there did so deliberately - there may have been other cars mis parked when he or she arrived, they have squeezed into the available space and then the cars on either side have left. You turn up and they look like a parking wanker....

WankerDeAsalWipe Thu 23-Jul-15 12:50:54

yes Jayne it never fails to amuse me especially in the work car park, that people who probably pay £30-40 for a gym membership will do anything to get a space a few meters closer to the door!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now