Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed by baby's clothes sizing

(13 Posts)
LittleMissRayOfHope Thu 23-Jul-15 11:20:31

DS is 10 months and on the big/tall side. Majority of his 9-12 month stuff is too small one way or another.
Trousers - good length, too tight round waist/bum
Tops - good arms, too short or too tight over his head.
Vests- good body size but not long enough to popper.

These are supposed to fit up to 12 months!!

His 12-18 months things are still too big of course! He just looks swamped in them and can't crawl/cruise/walk in the stuff.

Not to mention that he is still wearing some 6-9 months things from next and some 12-18 from baby gap, monsoon stuff is all on the small side and primary is simply pot luck!!
Tesco always comes up short. Asda seems about right!!

It is so frustrating!!

PerspicaciaTick Thu 23-Jul-15 11:22:00

Buy clothes by height rather than age - I found it to be much more reliable.

EatShitDerek Thu 23-Jul-15 11:24:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

araiba Thu 23-Jul-15 11:25:42

babies come in different sizes?

i learn new things every day

NobodyLivesHere Thu 23-Jul-15 11:26:52

At a year old my son was barely filling 3-6 month clothes. And now age 10 he needs 10/11 for length but the waists are ridiculously big. It's an on going battle.

TravellingToad Thu 23-Jul-15 11:26:59

All children are different. Imagine adult clothing age 20-25!

They'll never get it right for every 1 year old

PumpkinPie2013 Thu 23-Jul-15 11:29:33

My son is tall/big and I've always found sainsbury's pretty good and asda/next. For tops , I never minded if they were a bit big initially and trousers I just rolled up at the bottom for a couple of weeks if necessary.

I ignore what's on the label and just get the best fit.

Eminybob Thu 23-Jul-15 11:38:28

I think, just like adult clothes, it's find a size that fits and ignore the label. And it varies from shop to shop.

I've yet to find a sleep suit the fits DS since about 9 months old as they all seem too long in the leg whilst being too tight round the body. Yet dungarees are always too short on the leg but dead baggy up top!
I think I have an odd shaped baby.

StormyBrid Thu 23-Jul-15 11:48:29

It doesn't get any better as they get older. DD's 28 months, and recently has gone through the knees of all her jeans, which coincidently were clearly marketed at girls (Im not complaining if the flowers on 'em are pretty, they're the right shape, and they're only 50p). So I bought more jeans, in age 2-3 because the legs of the torn ones were starting to look a little short, this time from the boys' section because apparently they have legs like a plank of wood while small girls all have upside-down-triangle shaped legs. Got them home, tried them on, all far too long and gaping at the waist. Compared to the hideous floral triangular monstrosities in 2-3 that MIL bought her, they are vast.

In the end I thought sod it, and went round the charity shops for boys' 18-24. Perfect fit. Where is the logic? Why can't they have an actual measurable sizing system?

DJThreeDog Thu 23-Jul-15 11:51:00

YABU. Put him in the size that fits him (and if it's too big it's too big - roll up the sleeves or the legs).

Noodledoodledoo Thu 23-Jul-15 11:52:10

My little girl is wearing items from 3-6 months, 6-9 months and 9-12 months and is just about 10 months old!

Some its brand others are random! Generally Asda we grow out of first but she has a dress which is 3-6 months that still swamps her!

She is tall and not overly chubby anywhere! She does have the curse of a long body though so dungarees spend a lot of time unpopping!

Discopanda Thu 23-Jul-15 11:54:09

I found the same problem with DD1, very tall for her age with monkey arms, a Nicki Minaj bum and no spare fat, you just have to learn which brands fit and shop around a bit, e.g. Boots baby clothes always tend to come up a bit small, Ladybird clothing is quite wide. Oh yeah, and we can only get jeans with adjustable waists.

LittleMissRayOfHope Thu 23-Jul-15 11:58:30

Clearly I am aware that babies do come in different sizes but thanks for sarcastically pointing that out.

I don't understand why children's clothes seem to be different sizes everywhere. I can't imagine taking DS out clothes shopping and trying stuff on him everywhere!

It's so frustrating to have to hunt through daily for what does or does not fit. Always having masses of different sizes everywhere and when people buy him clothes bases on age they don't fit.
It's just annoying!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now