Talk

Advanced search

To be concerned Re mass tele-marketing calls...?

(10 Posts)
CainInThePunting Thu 23-Jul-15 10:04:00

My landline is registered with TPS however, I've been getting 1-2 calls per day regarding a PPI reclaim. I've never taken out PPI so I know these are random unsolicited calls and I've somehow got on their list.

I've been hanging up as soon as I hear the pre-recorded message but I'm getting sick of them so decided to take the call and ask them to remove my details from their database.

I've just answered one which went like this...
Hello, one of our advisers is waiting on the line to speak to you about a PPI refund, please press 5 to speak to the adviser.
I pressed 5 and the line went dead. Nothing.

Will my next phone bill be for thousands of pounds?
Are they about to step up the harassment now that they know the line is active?
Have I just started the proverbial zombie apocalypse?

FarFromAnyRoad Thu 23-Jul-15 10:46:14

Well they do say that you shouldn't alert these wankers to the fact that your line is active but I can't help thinking that's just bullshit. As I understand it the people who make these calls do it on an automated basis and dial hundreds of numbers at a time - I'm sure it's a think although I can't remember the term used for it and I'm also sure it's illegal but good luck finding out who's behind it.
My BT landline has been unplugged for over a year now because the calls wouldn't stop even with TPS.

DoeEyedNear Thu 23-Jul-15 10:50:20

I had 36 cold calls in one day a few years ago. Turned out my home phone number was a recycled one and the previous owner thought it fun to sign it up to everything going.

I shouted, loudly, down the phone by call 10.

sparkysparkysparky Thu 23-Jul-15 10:51:18

Keep a pen by the phone - try and take down as much info as you can about the company name they use and what they say in the message. Don't press "5" or whatever. Note the date and time of the call.
Go on the website of the Information Commissioner www.ico.org.uk and make a complaint. They might not be able to fix your individual problem but you might be adding to evidence they have about these clowns.

mugglingalong Thu 23-Jul-15 10:54:44

I did what sparkysparkysparky suggested a few months ago and the callshave finally stopped.

FurtherSupport Thu 23-Jul-15 11:02:06

When I complained/sought advice a while back, I was told most of these calls come from overseas and are therefore excluded from TPS and there's nothing we can do. Was I fobbed off?

DadfromUncle Thu 23-Jul-15 11:22:54

FurtherSupport Yes, and no. It's true about a lot being from overseas - but as with many things, especially involving people who are supposed to regulate things, in this Country - the people doing it are more interested in thinking of excuses than actually doing something useful.

DadfromUncle Thu 23-Jul-15 11:24:32

www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/action/how-to-stop-nuisance-phone-calls-#link-5

CainInThePunting Thu 23-Jul-15 11:45:34

Thanks for the links and info, the problem I have is that the recorded message gives no details of who they are which is why I decided to take the call and put a stop to them...

Might try again, maybe. Or just keep hanging up.

borisgudanov Fri 24-Jul-15 14:04:11

They use a powerdialler. This takes a list of contacts (accounts, prospects, debtors or whatever) and dials them all. If anyone answers the phone they then put the call into a queue for a call handler - just as if you had phoned into their call centre. There's no guarantee that a call handler is available at once or at all, so you have the delightful prodpect of them phoning you up and then playing you elevator music while you wait for an agent.

And then, after treating you with the most outrageous disrespect, they expect to sell you stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now