Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to make 2.5 year old sleep in travel cot for holiday?

(21 Posts)
brightreddress Wed 22-Jul-15 22:37:54

She is more like 2 and 2/3rds and is tall, and has been in her big bed at home for 3 months. We need to take a bed and it is either blow up mattress etc. or the travel cot. She is a good sleeper once asleep but messes about at bedtime. Thinking travel cot might help emphasise that it is bedtime… but worry it is inhumanely small!

RatOnnaStick Wed 22-Jul-15 22:40:11

I think you'd be better off with a readybed. Now she's in a bed I think it would be hard to out her back in a cot.

dietcokeandwine Wed 22-Jul-15 22:42:46

Tricky one OP.

I have a 2.5yo too and will be getting him to sleep in a travel cot for a few days next week when we go to my parents'. But he is still in the cotbed at home, so his expectation at bedtime is that he'll be in a cot, IFSWIM.

Travelcot in itself I don't think is a major issue for a 2.5yo (my DS1 was nearly 3, very tall, still in cotbed and literally slept diagonally across the travelcot during one family visit!). But if your DD is in a 'proper' bed at home you might struggle to get her to settle in a travelcot for holiday.

Zeitgeistic Wed 22-Jul-15 22:44:02

If she's tall a travelcot might be uncomfortable for her. Have you checked she'll still fit? I don't think it would be a problem to put her in it for a few days on holiday if she'll be comfortable in it. But as Rat says, a readybed might be a better solution. Plus, they take up less space in the boot than a travelcot.

Dinosaursdontgrowontrees Wed 22-Jul-15 22:45:26

Can she stretch out fully in the travel cot? Will she stay in it? If so definitely put her in the TC . My dd is the same age and climbs out of her travel cot so has the sleep in a bed when we travel now.. It's a real pain!

PisforPeter Wed 22-Jul-15 22:45:33

My tall 4 yr old still sleeps in a cot, it's a cotbed, she is happy I'm it @ I'm
In no rush

morethanpotatoprints Wed 22-Jul-15 22:46:53

No definitely not travel cot, they look so uncomfortable but right for a baby.
An air bed seems like a great idea. Those ready beds for different characters look good. Saw them on offer in Argos not long ago.

ActualAl Wed 22-Jul-15 22:47:12

No yanbu. We did exactly that this weekend. DD who will be 3 in a month slept in our travel cot very well for two nights when we visited family. She has been in her "big bed" at home since June.
We were a bit worried that she might not like going into a cot and also that it would be too small. However she was quite happy, told everyone she had a "new cot bed" to sleep in and both nights slept well. We couldn't use a duvet obviously because of the space but took her own pillow and used thin blankets.
We are planning to do the same for three nights in a few weeks as we are going away for a long weekend and couldn't get a room with enough proper beds.
The only problem I can see is if your DD moves a lot when they sleep it could be an issue with space. My DD tends to stay in one place so lack of room wasn't a problem.
Hope that helps.

PisforPeter Wed 22-Jul-15 22:47:49

What a terrible post blush
Should read before posting!
She has actually just turned 3 & is content in her cot so I haven't made the change yet.

DoJo Wed 22-Jul-15 23:05:21

My main concern would be that she could tip it over if she tries to climb out - my son did and ended up sort of trapped underneath it (which was funny, but not exactly conducive to a good night's sleep!).

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 22-Jul-15 23:07:04

I tried with DD at that age but she ended up in with us. Those things are uncomfortable and not very practical.

GothicRainbow Wed 22-Jul-15 23:17:07

We are just considering this at the moment. Our DS will have been in his bed for almost 3 months when we go on holiday.

I haven't got any advice myself unfortunately but will be watching the thread with interest!

MrsMook Wed 22-Jul-15 23:24:08

Ds2 worked out how to escape a travel cot before his own cot. He now sleeps on a camping mat when away.

BikeRunSki Wed 22-Jul-15 23:29:20

Readybed

brightreddress Wed 22-Jul-15 23:33:26

That's interesting MrsMook - does he have a duvet on his camping mat or a sleeping bag?

GothicRainbow Wed 22-Jul-15 23:36:01

Sorry to hijack the thread but for those of you who use ready beds/camping mats/proper beds when away did you take equipment with you to baby proof the room or did your children sleep in the same room as you?

DoJo Wed 22-Jul-15 23:43:58

We didn't babyproof once my son was in his readybed as his main goal on waking is to wake us up as soon as possible, so will always come and find us within seconds of becoming conscious whether he is in the same room as us or not! We do take a monitor whenever we go away and I have moved things around to avoid him tripping over them in the night if he gets up, but not much more than that.

cariadlet Thu 23-Jul-15 07:17:46

The last couple of posts made me wonder at what age children usually start having their own room on holiday. We only have one dd so have always booked triple rooms or family rooms.
She's 12 and we've booked 2 rooms for our next holiday - but that's only because we're taking one of her friends with us. She's never asked for her own room and we've never really thought about it until now.

Is that normal or a bit weird?

I think we'll have to cut down our holidays if she does want to have her own room in future - we usually manage to get away a few times a year, and must have saved thousands altogether by sharing a room.

PetShopGirl Thu 23-Jul-15 07:23:10

My very tall 2.5 year old flatly refused to settle in the proper bed when we went away recently, even though he'd been in a bed at home for a few months. Luckily there was a spare travel cot which he much preferred. Think it made him feel more secure in a strange room.

Runningupthathill82 Thu 23-Jul-15 07:42:15

Had to use a travel cot for my almost 3-y-o in two different hotels earlier this month. He's been in an ordinary bed at home for a year or so.

He was fine, and settled easily in the hotel travel cots - not like in the other places we stayed, where he climbed out of bed and ran around til gone 10pm every single bloody time.

MsJuniper Thu 23-Jul-15 07:45:04

They vary loads in size, I got this Hauck one and it's 120cm so fits my 2.9 DS just fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now