Talk

Advanced search

To have parked in a Mother and Child space?

(62 Posts)
WanderWomble Wed 22-Jul-15 20:19:08

Out and about in town today with my disabled mum. There's a smallish supermarket that we needed to visit. All of the disabled spaces were full, so I parked in a mother and child. Mum needs to be able to open the door fully to get out, as she uses a wheelchair. The only other choice was a single (between two cars) standard space where my Mum would have been unable to leave the car.

We were just leaving the car when I was confronted by a very cross lady who told me I shouldn't have been parking there. We put the blue badge on.

Was it unreasonable of me to use this space? (There were at least five M&C spaces open.)

CherryBonBon Wed 22-Jul-15 20:20:04

YANBU.

Blue Badge trumps Mother + Child.

The woman was a cow.

LibrariesGaveUsPower Wed 22-Jul-15 20:20:29

No. For a start blue badge holders are formally allowed to use any space. but even if you didn't have one, no YANBU

KindergartenKop Wed 22-Jul-15 20:21:27

She's your mum and you're her child. Yanbu!

Salmotrutta Wed 22-Jul-15 20:21:36

No, you were perfectly entitled to if all blue badge spaces were full.

The sooner they get rid if P&C the better.

And turn them into blue badge spaces instead.

Fugghetaboutit Wed 22-Jul-15 20:22:24

Yanbu, I've seen this before and always thought it was fair.

CherryBonBon Wed 22-Jul-15 20:22:25

grin Kindergarten

Happy36 Wed 22-Jul-15 20:22:30

You were being reasonable. Ignore the other lady.

maddening Wed 22-Jul-15 20:23:30

Yanbu - bb and disabilities trump all.

WanderWomble Wed 22-Jul-15 20:23:31

Thanks! I just got to pondering about it tonight and wanted another opinion.

RinkRashDerbyKisses Wed 22-Jul-15 20:23:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

travellinglighter Wed 22-Jul-15 20:23:58

I have been confronted by this before. I asked the chap nicely(sarcastically) “Who died and made you car park monitor?”

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 22-Jul-15 20:24:21

I do wish they could sort this crap out. First, some dedicated sopts fo people with disabilities; well marked and well policed. Secondly, some extra spaces for 'anyone who needs extra space (P&C, people with disabilities that do or do not have a badge, older people, FFS even overweight people). First come; first served.

RinkRashDerbyKisses Wed 22-Jul-15 20:24:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 22-Jul-15 20:24:54

*spots for

MrsPeeee Wed 22-Jul-15 20:26:40

Yanbu. Hope your mum was ok!

Passmethecrisps Wed 22-Jul-15 20:27:31

Ffs. Some people have such a dreadful attitude. Parent and child parking are a wee added bonus - who in their right mind would question a person with a disability using one?

I know a couple of places where there are spaces marked for blue badges only and then spaces marked for both blue badges and parent and child. This seems a sensible way of doing it.

DoreenLethal Wed 22-Jul-15 20:28:06

Mother and child spaces are a marketing tool - no more!

They are not a fundamental human right. FGS.

Passmethecrisps Wed 22-Jul-15 20:29:07

Yup mrsterry. They could be 'extra' spaces. Made bigger with more room at the side for anyone who needs including those with massive cars and those who cannot park for toffee

hedgehogsdontbite Wed 22-Jul-15 20:29:28

YANBU

My local supermarket now has only 2 disabled spaces as the rest have all been converted to P&C spaces. It seriously pisses me off and I will continue to park in them.

Sirzy Wed 22-Jul-15 20:30:47

You needed the space. Of course you were right to use it.

growl3th Wed 22-Jul-15 20:31:20

Mother and Child spaces? Do they exist or is it Parent and Child?

Passmethecrisps Wed 22-Jul-15 20:32:04

My preferred supermarket parent and toddler spaces are actually further away from the store - just bigger and don't require crossing the car park if that makes sense.

Maybe one day cross lady might need a blue badge space herself and realise what an arse she made of herself

Angel1983 Wed 22-Jul-15 20:37:32

In my local supermarket the P&C spaces are closer to the store entrance than the disabled parking spaces. I have never been able to get my head around this!

I don't think YWBU.

FernieB Wed 22-Jul-15 20:38:26

DNBU. P&C spaces can and should be used like this. I think they should only be used by parents with children that use a child seat in a trolley anyway. The amount of parents with 8 year olds using them is ridiculous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now