Talk

Advanced search

How much Risk assessment for Annual camp?

(11 Posts)
YBR Wed 22-Jul-15 14:30:52

We have a youth organisation associated with my church, similar to guides/scouts. Following some previous mild issues with a couple of leaders I have to receive their risk assessment before camp; I am not part of the group.
It was rather thin to my mind - 2 sheets - and didn't prove to me it was well thought out. Although the leaders are experienced I feel they would be ripped to shreds should anything occur.

AIBU to want them to improve it?
Does anyone here take groups camping who can advise me what they would [have to] do?

Sirzy Wed 22-Jul-15 14:34:42

What risks do you think haven't been covered?

Has a site visit been completed? Does the venue have their own risk assessment?

Have individual risk assessments been done for any members of the party with additional needs?

bloodyteenagers Wed 22-Jul-15 14:41:52

That does seem thin.
I had to complete a risk assessment. For a cinema trip. Would be gone at the most 3 hours.
Transport not required.

Still 4 sheets a4 paper both sides.

YBR Wed 22-Jul-15 15:52:28

I think risks on the journey (for example) and the related mitigations/precautions covered in under 2 lines doesn't show me it's been thought through.
The main points are there, absent points I've thought of are breakdowns and associated risks; First-aid on the journey not mentioned (i.e. ensure the correct staff in each minibus and that kits are available not in a separate van).
I'm not someone who takes kids camping so I'm just having an un-educated think.

I know leaders have visited the site; it's not an outdoors centre type place with their own Risk assessment AFAIK, but if it did I'd expect to see it referred to, ideally attached.

bloodyteenagers Wed 22-Jul-15 16:01:02

What I found was that risk assessments are usually for their staff so don't give copies.

Two lines seems like the basic we will leave at 9am. Travel up the M1 and arrive at 11am.
No accounting for breakdowns of their own etc.

Staff ratio. First aiders who are certified. First aid kit. Anyone will known medical condition, who will administer and what happens if cannot be controlled.

Group leader.
If there are problems with route one (closure etc) what's the back up route

Risks for the place.

Then the journey home
Oh and if they are stopping during the journey. Where
And how this will be managed in regards to toilet etc.

TeenAndTween Wed 22-Jul-15 16:09:16

Risks I would expect to see for a camp (as a parent who doesn't do camping)

- safety around camp fires
- safety around using knives
- safeguarding in a mixed sex group,
e.g no going into tents of opposite sex
- assessment for each and every planned activity
e.g. orienteering, getting lost, in pairs, each team has whistle, checkin in posts
e.g. raft building, drowning, lifejackets, must be able to swim
e.g. assault course, first aid kit, mobile phone or whatever

Who has parental contact details
How is medicine dealt with

and that's just off the top of my head

UpWithPup Wed 22-Jul-15 16:12:21

I'm a youth club leader & h&s professional. I think the physical size of the document is a bit of a red herring, I can write a perfectly good risk assessment on a couple if sides, BUT if your untrained camping eye can spot missing risks then that would suggest to me that they haven't really thought about it.

totallybewildered Wed 22-Jul-15 16:12:39

give them a template. You can't just leave it entirely open then complain you haven't had enough. You can carry on writing risk assessments indefinitely, but what would be the point? When writing a risk assessment, you find out how much is required, write that much, then stop.

busjs79 Wed 22-Jul-15 16:15:54

It sounds a bit light on detail but (and I'm not trying to be cheeky) if it needs checked and you don't do camping, why are you the person who is checking it? Surely it would be best to have it checked by someone experienced in leading the specific activity?

BreakingDad77 Wed 22-Jul-15 16:22:18

Not much more to add to what been mentioned so far - though this might help members.scouts.org.uk/supportresources/2360/risk-assessment

2rebecca Wed 22-Jul-15 16:57:29

And then people wonder why no-one wants to be Brownie etc leaders any more.
I do risk assessments and usually it's just 2 sides of A4 as it is just a summary of the risks and the risk assessment often refers to other documents for other activities or just says "we follow x guidelines/ safety standards"
As the stuff I do risk assessments for is voluntary I'd be opting out if they wanted a thesis that took me a week to write each time. It's supposed to show you've considered the risks not itemise every single thing that could possibly go wrong and a detailed plan for each. With a group of kids you'd be looking at hundreds of pages.
Do it yourself if you don't like it or give them a template as suggested.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now