Advanced search

To ask for help - on behalf of a friend?

(6 Posts)
willowwaters Wed 22-Jul-15 12:13:36

My friend misunderstood her rota at work and missed some hours.

She hasn't been paid for these (of course) but the problem is she has been 'fined'. This has meant she's lost £40 and as she's only on just about minimum wage she is struggling.

Can they do this? It sounds dodgy to me.

GreyAndGoldInTheMeadow Wed 22-Jul-15 12:16:20

Sounds dodgy to me too, but wonder if it's written into a contract she's signed? Even then not sure it would be legal.

GreyAndGoldInTheMeadow Wed 22-Jul-15 12:17:53

Maybe try and get a appointment with citizens advice to see what can be done

hellsbellsmelons Wed 22-Jul-15 12:18:49

Did she sign a contract of employment?
If so she needs to see a copy and see what it says in there about fines.
It may be that it is in the contract so she can't do anything about if she didn't turn up when she should have.

However, if she didn't sign a contract or there is nothing in the contract about fines then she should go to ACAS and get their advice on it.

£40 might not seem a lot to some people but for others it's a big deal and should be fought for. If it's not in the contract and they are doing this then they need to sorted out. ACAS can help on this as well.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Wed 22-Jul-15 12:21:38

She was fined extra on top of the deduction in pay for not turning up? Sounds dodgy to me but she'd need to check her contract

willowwaters Wed 22-Jul-15 12:24:24

Thank you. I will encourage her to go to CAB - it is wrong, I think.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: