Talk

Advanced search

To want to get a cleaner?

(14 Posts)
squishyeyeballs Wed 22-Jul-15 11:15:52

I have a 17 month old and a 5 month old and I find it hard trying to keep on top of my daily routine. Along with the children, I'm also doing an evening course with regular assignments and working from home for an hour every evening. I also need to go for a walk every day due to a back problem (needs gentle exercise or it will seize up) and this is such hassle because I have to get the kids ready and load them into the buggy etc. I cannot do this when dh comes home due to my course and work.

I have always had high standards when it comes to cleaning but have lowered them a little since having the kids. However, I feel like I am constantly playing catch up and am juggling too much at the moment. I think if I had a cleaner come in twice a week to do the big weekly stuff like floor washing etc it would make things a lot less stressful. I find it easy enough to do a surface clean downstairs and stick on a load of washing every day but anything past that is a struggle. Mess drives me absolutely mental so it's not an option just to let it be. Dh works long hours and to be fair to him, he does the lions share with the kids when he gets home so he doesn't have the time to clean either. Aibu to consider getting a cleaner? And those of you who have one- what jobs do you get them to do?

Alibabsandthe40Musketeers Wed 22-Jul-15 11:19:52

YANBU

I have a cleaner, she is brilliant. She does 3 hours a week for me, and in that time she does the whole house. Floors, dusting and polishing, bathroom and cloak, kitchen and utility, insides of windows, skirting, mirrors.

BeautifulBatman Wed 22-Jul-15 11:19:57

I have one. She dusts all surfaces, cleans the floors (tiled mostly) and bathrooms. And does the ironing. She does about 6 hours a week. The house is always tidy to start with though, and I vacuum everywhere on the days she's not here. My dc isn't due until October but I do live in the middle of a desert and have 5 cats.

fancyanotherfez Wed 22-Jul-15 11:27:15

Get one! I hate cleaning and have extremely low standards! I work almost purely to justify having a cleaner as my kids will be at school and I work from home, so could technically do it myself but it actually depresses me! My justification is that when I'm cleaning, I'm not working, and my hourly rate is more than I pay for the cleaner! You have a lot on your plate, and 2 little kids!

rallytog1 Wed 22-Jul-15 11:30:00

Just do it. You don't just get a clean house, you get more quality time as a family. So it's a double win.

TiggieBoo Wed 22-Jul-15 11:34:15

Why do you need to ask? It's perfectly acceptable to get a cleaner, if you can afford it, why not? My cleaner does the bathroom, kitchen, dusts/wipes surfaces, hoovers. Mostly the living areas, not the bedrooms. If there is laundry out, she folds it. How much she does depends on how tidy the house is to start with.

BeautifulBatman Wed 22-Jul-15 11:38:09

If it makes you feel better OP, as I've said, I have no dc yet. And I don't work. And I'm not studying. And I still think it's perfectly acceptable to have a cleaner. Go for it.

ProcrastinatorGeneral Wed 22-Jul-15 11:40:52

Do it if you have the funds. I've never understood the snottiness around employing people to do things you don't have time or inclination to do yourself. As a bonus, you'll probably be supporting a local small business, just like shopping local for other things.

Dionysuss Wed 22-Jul-15 11:41:22

Go for it.

I have a 17month old and struggle to keep the house to a standard where I wouldn't be embarrassed if visitors drop in.I've just given up trying to sort laundry as he's just emptied the entire chest of drawers.
I have no idea where I would start with a 5 month old aswell.

SurlyCue Wed 22-Jul-15 11:42:27

You dont even need to ask! If you want a cleaner and can afford one then get one. I am a cleaner and some of my clients are retired single people. They just would rather not clean, you dont need to justify it. I would rather not cut my grass so i pay someone to do it. Same with my outside windows.

MistletoeBUTNOwine Wed 22-Jul-15 11:45:08

I have one and love her! She blitzes the whole house in 2 hours for £20
I do the usual daily tidy washing etc, but having someone to hoover whole place including all the stairs and mopping floors is invaluable. (Have an 18m and a 10 year old ��)
Try it,

contractor6 Wed 22-Jul-15 11:52:58

Problem is finding a good one, most only do a "surface clean" I remember once my cleaner cancelled last minute and I did it myself and found no furniture had been moved to vacuum underneath, the rugs and door mats hadn't even been moved to clean!

SurlyCue Wed 22-Jul-15 11:58:11

Contractor communictions is key. I will do what i am asked to do. If you want furniture pulled out then you have to say. Although not lifting mats is odd! confused

tocmrpouce Wed 22-Jul-15 12:13:38

Yanbu. At all! Yabu to even ask! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now