Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To feel nostalgic for lots of things

(25 Posts)
Roseforarose Wed 22-Jul-15 10:29:18

I know it's silly but I can't help feeling nostalgic for so many things. It doesn't help looking at old photos.

Gymbob Wed 22-Jul-15 23:50:00

I can relate. Every time I eat a raspberry I am transported straight back to the farm I grew up on where I picked and ate them straight from the plant.

I also think about fruit salad and black jack sweets, do you remember those?

dodobookends Wed 22-Jul-15 23:51:59

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Andrewofgg Thu 23-Jul-15 04:39:18

Radios with valves which took thirty seconds to warm up and had the name of European stations on the dial.

tomatodizzymum Thu 23-Jul-15 04:45:01

umm black jacks. I miss those. I do feel nostalgia but I also think we rose tint our memories. Except for black jacks obviously.

BumWad Thu 23-Jul-15 04:48:03

Cola bottles take me back

ASAS Thu 23-Jul-15 04:53:26

DS's baby chub. He's all toned and athletic now. Old photos can be bittersweet to look at.

Ohanarama Thu 23-Jul-15 05:12:35

I get nostalgic this time of year for the summer holidays of my childhood...days of sunshine, playing out in fields, picnics by rivers and in woods, caravan holidays, days at the coast, making dens, fruit picking.
Now I spend it in an office - would kill for six weeks off

Imachocolateportal Thu 23-Jul-15 07:04:41

YANBU. I love going a nostalgia trip.

I have become a little obsessed with collecting up things that we had around the house when I was young, mainly kitchenware (thankfully eBay has an abundance). Something feels so happy and homely about them all.

Ruledbycatsandkids6 Thu 23-Jul-15 07:16:28

Cut grass reminds me of the joy of finally being Llowed on the field to play at school. It was such am exciting event and heralded the start of summer.

Pictures of my dd and her friends lined up waiting to go on a school trip. Every girl pictured was injured in some way in an accident on the trip and all recovered now more or less but a parent put up that picture on fb and another one of them now at prom.

To see the blossoming of these girls into young women and all they have suffered is almost unbearably bitter/sweet.

Ice cream lemonade reminds me of childhood picnics.

And yes definatly black jacks and also the large fruit salads which were 2p so expensive in 1978. grin

Great thread.

AndyWarholsOrange Thu 23-Jul-15 07:46:41

I get nostalgic about playing hide and seek in my grandparents' huge house. And 1970's kids' TV. And my children's chubby hands and knees. And being allowed to stay up until BBC played the National Anthem and TV shut down for the night. And for youthful skin < cries >

Roseforarose Thu 23-Jul-15 10:53:15

Just hearing the bees buzzing reminds me of hot summer days of my childhood. The summers really were hot in those days and seemed to last forever. I miss the innocence of childhood and the optimism, times were more gentle then, life was slower and lazier. We seemed to get pleasure out of simple things. I can remember the excitement of getting a new summers dress or a pair of sandals. Getting something new isn't a big deal anymore. Little things seemed to make us happy back then.

Toombumber Thu 23-Jul-15 12:40:30

I've made a Pinterest board of nostalgia-inducing images- toys I had, TV programmes, sweets. You'll find others have already done the same thing from your era so it's easy to collect and you get reminded of things you'd forgotten too. I ended up buying 4 Twinkle annuals on eBay that I'd had. Love a good wallow.

Gymbob Fri 24-Jul-15 19:01:00

The Clangers - used to love that. Saw it recently, and it looked just so bad!
Basil Brush - Boom Boom! Mr Ben, Dastardly and Muttley, Trumpton, Crystal Tips and Alastair, The Magic Roundabout. The Persuaders, Tony Curtis, Starsky and Hutch (was in love with David Soul for an eternity, and went to see Spot with him and Ron Moody in 14 times). Saturday Night Fever, and John Travolta.

Cut grass, roses, sweet peas, the little girl with the doll on the Test Card when there was nothing on the telly. Power cuts (there was one during The Persuaders once, and I was gutted).

mrspremise Fri 24-Jul-15 19:11:30

Ladybird books. The gorgeous painted illustrations.

Probably why I have so many of them and look for them in every charity shop I pass... grin

scarlets Fri 24-Jul-15 19:13:28

When there are documentaries that feature the 1970s and they show the cars, and the shop fronts with the old signs on places like Boots and WH Smith.

I saw a pic on Facebook of a Lucozade bottle with the orange crinkly paper, and a selection box from 1980.

hiddenhome Fri 24-Jul-15 19:39:34

You can still buy black jacks and fruit salads smile

Boswellox Fri 24-Jul-15 20:59:15

I remember when people just lived in their homes rather than made lifestyle choices and got on the property ladder.

Gymbob Fri 24-Jul-15 21:21:12

yes you can still buy black jacks and fruit salads. they taste NOTHING like they used to, they were yuk. I point blank refuse to believe my taste buds have changed grin

taxi4ballet Mon 27-Jul-15 00:10:52

Wagon Wheels have DEFINITELY got smaller...

1Morewineplease Mon 27-Jul-15 07:33:53

Walkers roast chicken crisps just aren't the same anymore.

I could spend hours just wandering around with my friends in the summer holidays ... Wouldn't dream of letting my two do that.

Glad to see the back of homemade clothes though!!!

Taytocrisps Mon 27-Jul-15 09:27:31

This might sound strange but I find myself missing travel agents. Almost all of the travel agents in my city are closed down now. They used to be such exciting places with their colorful posters of sunny exotic destinations.

Gatekeeper Mon 27-Jul-15 09:34:29

Black Jacks and Fruit salad don't taste anything like they used to- they have an unpleasant aftertaste

Looking through old photos the other day I was struck how ordinary most people looked esp the women. Effort was made with make up and clothes etc but still very 'real'. I hate the botoxed, filled, 'surgerified' and over made up appearance that passes for beauty these days

Gymbob Wed 29-Jul-15 18:06:22

I've just discovered that one of my childhood favourites, Opal Fruits, were renamed Starburst in the 90's. I didn't know that. I'll have to try them, but I know now I'm gonna be disappointed !

scarlets Wed 29-Jul-15 19:31:23

Chocolate, sweets and crisps are so much less tasty these days. They've changed all the recipes. It may be healthier, but I'd rather the real stuff and less of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now