Talk

Advanced search

Would you feel lied to if this happened? Job related.

(47 Posts)
LemonySmithit Wed 22-Jul-15 08:29:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nativity3 Wed 22-Jul-15 08:30:56

Yanbu. Like you say, as long as you look presentable and smart for the interview I don't see a problem smile.

pickingstrawberries Wed 22-Jul-15 08:31:15

I knew someone who did this with tattoos, just covered them up on the interview and then went all out once he had the job!

LemonySmithit Wed 22-Jul-15 08:32:17

AmazonsForEver Wed 22-Jul-15 08:32:48

Well, unless you wear a headscarf to interview, the company will see them!
Your mum is being a little daft (perhaps she doesn't like your style?)- plenty of wonderful, hard-working, reliable people have dreadlocks.
The employer will judge on your enthusiasm and responses to their questions.

LazyLouLou Wed 22-Jul-15 08:33:27

Your mum doesn't like your dreads, she is taking the opportunity to let you know.

But you are fine tying them back. YANBU at all.

Bubblesinthesummer Wed 22-Jul-15 08:33:37

No YANBU why is it lying? Surely if needs be you could do your hair like that for work anyway.

Not seeing your DM view here at all and in the past I have conducted tonnes of interviews.

RainbowFlutterby Wed 22-Jul-15 08:35:10

YANBU.

Isn't it just like wearing smart clothes for work when you spend the rest of your time slobbing around the house in pjs? (Like I do blush)

LemonySmithit Wed 22-Jul-15 08:36:16

afterthought2 Wed 22-Jul-15 08:39:08

How odd!

I wore my hair down to my interview, but always wear it up to work. I hope they don't think less of me.

GreyAndGoldInTheMeadow Wed 22-Jul-15 08:45:12

If you'd hide them for the interview I'd hide them during work as well. If you don't feel they are appropriate for the interview then surely they aren't appropriate for day to day either.

19lottie82 Wed 22-Jul-15 08:53:55

I'm guessing your DM doesn't like your dreads much?

She's being silly.

Even if you get the job and your employer does have a problem with it, if you can "hide" them during the interview, then you can do the same at work, can't you?

LemonySmithit Wed 22-Jul-15 08:55:14

LemonySmithit Wed 22-Jul-15 08:55:59

morelikeguidelines Wed 22-Jul-15 08:57:23

Yanbu . Your mum is being silly.

GreyAndGoldInTheMeadow Wed 22-Jul-15 09:00:20

As long as your happy to hide them as in the interview if the employers wish, don't see a problem. I expect it won't be an issue. Certainly not that you've lied if your able to hide them from day to day if that's what they want.

FryOneFatManic Wed 22-Jul-15 09:02:18

YANBU. I'd be more interested in if you have the skills for the job than what you look like.

You're planning on being neat and tidy at the interview, so I just can't see a problem.

Baddz Wed 22-Jul-15 09:05:42

Just dress smartly and smile!
No need to change your hair.

PumpkinPie2013 Wed 22-Jul-15 09:08:14

YANBU

It's not as if you're planning to wear a wig to hide them!

As long as you look smart and tidy for the interview and when you attend work I'm sure the company won't care whether you have dreadlocks or not.

Elsashmelsa Wed 22-Jul-15 09:12:24

What a bizarre thing for your Mum to say. I've done many jobs in my present company and my first ever job was interviewing for European Call Centre staff for a UK based Call Centre.

I used to do 10-15 interviews per day (initial interview) and had all types of people in all types of dress. They were in suits, smart jeans etc etc. It didn't once cross my mind to comment (on the interview sheet) on how they looked. And having interviewed many people before in many different roles, it was nothing to do with the fact that it was call-centre based. It was purely that I was looking for someone to do a good job, end of story.

I imagine it only matters if you want to work as an Air Steward/ess or a job where they're strict about how you wear your hair etc. Your silly DM... smile

Nolim Wed 22-Jul-15 09:14:32

Yanbu. Good luck with the interview.

OnlyLovers Wed 22-Jul-15 09:19:38

I wouldn't hide them in the interview, just tie them neatly in the same way you would for work.

I don't really see the issue, TBH.

VeryPunny Wed 22-Jul-15 09:21:43

It totally depends on what kind of retail you work for, surely? A supermarket probably won't care that much, whereas a high end fashion retailer would have major problems, no?

Anniesaunt Wed 22-Jul-15 09:23:17

By your mum's logic I lied in interview. I wore a suit and had my hair loose. I wear a uniform and tie my hair back at work.

BadLad Wed 22-Jul-15 09:28:24

If I were interviewing you for a client-facing role and I saw them in the interview, it would probably put me off hiring you. I suppose they wouldn't matter for some jobs.

I once had my hair shaved to a millimetre just before a job interview, rather foolishly. Then I read that a conservative haircut was required. Fortunately the job required a few weeks to sort out a visa, so I explained at the interview that I just hadn't read the role requirements, and that I was willing to grow my hair, and that I hoped I wouldn't miss out on the job just because of that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now