Talk

Advanced search

To dislike the steady march of the word 'Sure' in our every day speech?

(30 Posts)
nigelslaterfan Tue 21-Jul-15 22:34:27

I keep hearing interviewers saying it, and my sister said it to me today, 'Sure, yeah, sure'.

I think there is something a little rude in it, as if the other person is saying over you, 'yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, I get it, year, sure, yeah yeah shut up.'

It's inherently not quite polite. I think it's very common in the US, but it doesn't sound right here. It sounds a bit ' I already know what you are saying so move on.'

Rude, I want it to stop it's an alien conversational form.

nigelslaterfan Tue 21-Jul-15 22:35:43

If anyone disagrees with me I'm going to say "Sure, yeah, Sure, Sure, ok sure" All over their post.

JeanneDeMontbaston Tue 21-Jul-15 22:36:07

Is it not normal Irish? It's not US.

MyCatIsABiggerBastardThanYours Tue 21-Jul-15 22:37:10

I agree. And It can join its mate "absolutely" in the hall of incorrect word usage.

nigelslaterfan Tue 21-Jul-15 22:37:16

My late f used to say it all the time and he lived in the US, it sounded ok when he said it. Is it Irish? I hadn't noticed it with my Irish mates.

ASorcererIsAWizardSquared Tue 21-Jul-15 22:37:50

i dont like that usage.

i tend to use it as an affirmative 'yes" sort of word, as in "sure thing".

The one you mention is just.. its flippant and a little rude/dismissive!

JeanneDeMontbaston Tue 21-Jul-15 22:38:05

You're kidding?

Sure not an Irish thing?

nigelslaterfan Tue 21-Jul-15 22:42:15

Also when very posh intellectuals on radio 4 say:

"Yah, Yah, Christobel's novel is quite astonishing in it's etiology of Bohemian ceramacism in 1920s Bexhill."

Using the word astonishing on the radio is the equivalent in my ledger of prejudice of saying I Am A Twat

nigelslaterfan Tue 21-Jul-15 22:47:09

I think the speaker thinks it makes them sound quite cool and impressive, yeah sure, like an informal clubbable, we understand each other, nod and a wink, ya, sure.

You're right Sorcerer it's flippant.

FanFuckingTastic Tue 21-Jul-15 22:48:28

I say Uhuh! Or Nhuh!

nigelslaterfan Tue 21-Jul-15 22:50:48

Nhuh?

nigelslaterfan Tue 21-Jul-15 22:51:35

like na -huh?

Yellowbird54321 Tue 21-Jul-15 23:01:03

I use it, I like it - but it does have to be said in the right way, i.e. signifying respectful acceptance and not in the dismissive move on kind of way you describe.
Both US and Irish, I think (they're often similar due to history aren't they?)

BankWadger Tue 21-Jul-15 23:03:43

Don't call me Shirley.

<ducks>

CrockedPot Tue 21-Jul-15 23:05:57

My boss says it. Like this 'sure, sure' while I'm fucking speaking. Makes me want to punch her in the face, (not that I ever would, I'm terribly peaceful on the surface)

ILiveOnABuildsite Tue 21-Jul-15 23:06:41

It makes me think of my mom, she often said sure instead of yes when I was growing up. As in "sure we can have pasta for dinner" type sentences. I used to think it was ever so grown up, because we are French speakers and it added a bit of English to her speech grin. Although I don't think I've ever heard her use it in the "sure, yeah sure" sense though. I grew up in Canada and my mom is Canadian if that has any bearing.

FanFuckingTastic Tue 21-Jul-15 23:13:33

The sound the same, but one means yes Uh-huh, the other means no, Nuh-huh. But in my head they are both four letter words, lol.

Alibabsandthe40Musketeers Tue 21-Jul-15 23:18:09

Are you being unreasonable?

Sure wink

I use it where I would otherwise use 'of course', which I think can be a little formal depending on context.

MistressMerryWeather Tue 21-Jul-15 23:18:26

I say 'Shore!'

All perky like.

Whilst nodding enthusiastically.

OuchLegoHurts Tue 21-Jul-15 23:35:10

I'm Irish and we use it all the time but in a totally different way. "Sher, isn't yer man down the road an awful gobshite", or "sher, I can't go out, sher I've no money!"

zara020 Wed 22-Jul-15 00:52:29

yanbu.... 'can I get...?' is another ghastly Americanism that us everywhere these days. hate it.

ScorpioMermaid Wed 22-Jul-15 01:09:55

MIL says "sure is!" drives me nuts.

TwinkieTwinkle Wed 22-Jul-15 01:16:43

BankWadger can't believe someone got there before me sad

SenecaFalls Wed 22-Jul-15 04:33:23

Why the hatred for "can I get"?

RachelRagged Wed 22-Jul-15 07:48:10

Not noticed it said much personally ,

The one I do not like, and do hear, is (often sarcastic) O Kayyyyyyy , sometimes accompanied with eyerolls .. Grrr

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now