Talk

Advanced search

To be a bit nonplussed by this question (minor beyond belief)

(31 Posts)
ApocalypseThen Tue 21-Jul-15 15:50:29

My daughter is eight wonderful weeks old and getting on great. For the past few weeks, whenever we meet them, my husband's siblings make a specific enquiry after her welfare - is she watching telly yet.

To my mind, it's of course not - why would she at eight weeks? Naturally I don't say that but I do find it odd that that's the only developmental indicator they're interested in.

Would anyone else be surprised? To clarify, it's only a question, doesn't effect me in any way at all and it's not going to be any kind of an issue. Just wondering whether that's the norm? My family and friends would assume she's not watching telly so that's what I think is standard, but are we the ones out if step?

RabbitSaysWoof Tue 21-Jul-15 15:53:34

Congratulations! I would wonder why they asked that, is it some kind of long running joke that your telly is always on or something? I cant think they would be serious but its not that funny as a joke.
I would ask them why they ask.

midnightvelvetPart2 Tue 21-Jul-15 15:54:38

Congratulations on your new daughter smile flowers

Are they thinking they are being funny? Maybe they have a bet with each other?

paulapompom Tue 21-Jul-15 15:56:27

YaNbu - I would be surprised at this, especially at 8 weeks. Do they have children? Just wondering if they don't know what to ask, but want to show they are interested?

ApocalypseThen Tue 21-Jul-15 15:57:30

Well it's definitely not that the telly's always on here, we don't watch it till after five because neither of us can stand daytime TV. They wouldn't know that though, we're in an apartment so not drop in people.

My guess so far has been that they found it a relief when theirs could be left for a while with it on and assume it'd be the same for us?

8angle Tue 21-Jul-15 16:00:53

That is definitely a weird question! I would reply : "oh yes, she's a total news addict, but i think the weather forecast get's her down a bit"!

Congratulations by the way!

ThirtyFivePounds Tue 21-Jul-15 16:06:52

I would think it was a strange question too! Congratulations smile

ApocalypseThen Tue 21-Jul-15 16:15:54

Thanks for the congratulations, everyone and I'm glad to know I'm not totally off beam!!

Peaceloveandcustardcreams Tue 21-Jul-15 16:17:54

Totally weird! Although I have been known to leave the TV on for my 7mo to avoid the hysterical separation anxiety he has at the moment confused he does quite like the weather forecasts!

8angle Tue 21-Jul-15 16:21:56

haha Peace wait till the summer is over....

Cocolepew Tue 21-Jul-15 16:22:56

Congratulations, tell them she's more a wireless listener.
Weirdos.

TendonQueen Tue 21-Jul-15 16:26:47

I'd think up j different response each time. Yes, she's loving Breaking Bad. Yes, she really enjoyed the opera on Sky Arts this week. And so on.

ElviraCondomine Tue 21-Jul-15 16:26:57

"She loves it but we only let her watch the BBC news and wildlife documentaries. We wouldn't let her watch commercial television, " is the only possible reply, preferably shuddering on the word commercial.

I think DC were 12 months before I actively willed them to be hypnotised by children's tv long enough for me to go to the loo in peace.

howabout Tue 21-Jul-15 16:30:40

Congratulations.
I had 2 very colicky babies. I found myself "watching" a lot of telly with them in the early evening while doing whatever it was that helped. Hopefully you are already beyond the window for this.
With DD3 we never got into the habit of watching telly and now she is a toddler beyond the nap stage I wish she would just zone out in front of cbeebies when she is tired.

ApocalypseThen Tue 21-Jul-15 16:31:23

I love those responses. I wish I had the courage!

Olddear Tue 21-Jul-15 16:34:05

Say 'yes! We can't get the remote off her!!!'

midnightvelvetPart2 Tue 21-Jul-15 16:38:54

Say with a hollow laugh ' I wish, we tried her with Eastenders all last week but all she wants to listen to is Classic FM, she especially enjoys Rattle's Orchestral Greats, I expect you've heard it. Her favourite instrument is the bassoon but she's partial to an oboe solo as well of course. Tell me, which section of the violins do you prefer?' smile

toomuchtooold Tue 21-Jul-15 16:39:22

That is the oddest question ever! I was glad when my DTs started showing an interest in the TV as it gave me a bit of a break but that was at about 22 months!

OTheHugeManatee Tue 21-Jul-15 16:45:25

"Yes, we had to take the remote off her the other day because she was yelling at some pranny on Question Time and pooed her nappy. Yes, of course I'm joking, she's fucking eight weeks old you idiots."

Peaceloveandcustardcreams Tue 21-Jul-15 16:47:39

Manatee has the best response!

knackered69 Tue 21-Jul-15 16:48:23

"yes - but we've found that Jeremy paxman makes her quite cross "

Gruntfuttock Tue 21-Jul-15 16:51:04

That was a weird question, but not as stupid as the one I read in a YouTube comment yesterday. The video featured twin girls and the question was "Where do you buy clothes for twins?" confused

OTheHugeManatee Tue 21-Jul-15 16:55:48

"Where do you buy clothes for twins?"

HOWLING grin

Gruntfuttock Tue 21-Jul-15 17:00:10

I can just imagine someone scouring childrens' clothes shops looking for clothes for twins and complaining that they've only got clothes for individual children. "That's no good to me, I've got two!"

Cocolepew Tue 21-Jul-15 17:15:17

Omg the twin thing grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now