Talk

Advanced search

"is level 5a in year 5 good?" ah fuck off with your Facebook stealth boasts

(48 Posts)
DoeEyedNear Tue 21-Jul-15 12:15:39

Aibu to delete someone from Facebook who rather than out and out saying 'proud of my little darling for getting a 5a' feigns ignorance at the whole levels thing to get the most reaction possible out of their Facebook friends?

I will say now I am in a real stinker of a mood and can't be doing with stealth boasts right now which may be clouding my judgement on this.

Osmiornica Tue 21-Jul-15 12:18:52

Maybe they really don't know. I wouldn't have a clue what 5a means (we're in Wales so it might be different here).

Also it's not a terribly British thing to boast openly (assuming they are British of course).

Failing that just remove the post and ignore. Exam results are hardly the be-all and end all.

rollonthesummer Tue 21-Jul-15 12:20:41

Very irritating! You don't get to the end of year 5 without knowing something about levels.

But they've been abolished anyway...

saresywaresy2 Tue 21-Jul-15 12:21:00

Mine got a 6. So far I've resisted saying a single thing. Oh. Whoops...the cat is out of the bag now... :-)

littlejohnnydory Tue 21-Jul-15 12:24:43

They might genuinely not know. I don't. Again, we're in Wales where the levels are different but I don't know what expected levels are here either. Wouldn't be too hard to google though!

DoeEyedNear Tue 21-Jul-15 12:24:46

Well done saresy! I have no issue with boasting at all, things like this are good reason to be proud and that's what Facebook is for. Shout it from the rooftops. It's the sly posts that I can't abide.

Like rollon says, you can't get to the end of year 5 and not understand what the levels are!

I didn't realise they were being abolished! Since when?

Sighing Tue 21-Jul-15 12:25:13

Just post a link to what the levels mean and a comment that they'll stop being used. Generally take it at face value and assume this is their first interest in their child's academic progress. Though I tend to just congratulate the child and despair at the pathetoc need of the adult to glaunt the results as though it's their own succesz.

Sighing Tue 21-Jul-15 12:25:51

Flaunt & success. Sheesh.

Spartans Tue 21-Jul-15 12:26:00

Levels confused me for a while. But most people know if their kids are doing well or struggling.

Our reports also told you where there were expected to be and where they are. I would imagine most do, so you can see its good.

Personally I would prefer people to just out and out boast rather than pretend ignorance.

redskybynight Tue 21-Jul-15 12:30:52

It's the same in the Education Forums on MN. Funny that the parents who seem oblivious as to whether their child is doing well or not, always have the high achieving children ...

WorraLiberty Tue 21-Jul-15 12:35:09

Of course they know. If they didn't they'd just Google.

I agree with redsky, no-one ever posts a really low SATS score and asks if it's good or not grin

EggOnTheFloor Tue 21-Jul-15 12:39:43

God I've had this for a couple of years now - added with the grammar school chitchat (which is fucking boring even if you are going through it). I don't mean to be rude but of course these parents know - they wouldn't say it otherwise. Personally this faux lack of knowledge actually looks like neglectful parenting. Normal parents will know what measures the school judge their child against, unless they change like they have done recently. These parents know and want to rub it in any/everyone's faces.

FWIW I was tired of parents looking down their noses at DD and I, as she wasn't performing very well. She's done really well recently in her SATs - level 4 & two 5's, which was two levels higher than expected. I haven't shouted it from the rooftops (because I'm not an insensitive cow) but DD knows we are extremely proud of her.

This isn't bragging - some class mates of DD are currently doing GCSE work and most got level 5/6 in SAT's. DD is the under achiever - this is the joy of being at a high performing primary hmm

TheReluctantCountess Tue 21-Jul-15 12:41:09

Reply that it no longer means anything and that the school should have implemented a different system of assessment by now.

SquareStarfish Tue 21-Jul-15 12:43:47

Being abolished! They have been abolished and are not compatible with the new curriculum. That Facebook post would tell me nothing about the child's ability but it would tell me a lot about the school wink

DoeEyedNear Tue 21-Jul-15 12:45:27

Oh dear!

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Tue 21-Jul-15 13:17:08

I'd reply that I didn't know either but that it sounds pretty average grin

jeee Tue 21-Jul-15 13:21:09

"Oh dear. I don't understand the levels either, but your DD did better than mind, as mine only got level 6."

Bambambini Tue 21-Jul-15 13:22:05

They know! My kids always get good results, i'd never put it on FB or swan around the playground starting conversations about it.

bearleftmonkeyright Tue 21-Jul-15 13:25:11

YANBU delete away, I have had this on my facebook feed from someone who volunteers in the school and whose husband is a governor. I am sure facebook will cause the end of the world at some point. But then I have had my fill of it.

bearleftmonkeyright Tue 21-Jul-15 13:27:34

By the way, my DS got level 3's and 4's in his year 6 SATs. I am that bloody proud of him.

TheReluctantCountess Tue 21-Jul-15 13:30:12

It's not a competition. We'd love our kids whatever they got or didn't get.

GreyAndGoldInTheMeadow Tue 21-Jul-15 13:30:30

Steath boasting I can handle it's the thinly veiled woe is me statues followed by the fake concern and I'll pm you hun shite I can't deal with.

Altinkum Tue 21-Jul-15 13:30:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LadyCuntingtonThe3rd Tue 21-Jul-15 13:34:11

Where will I find it? I want to know what my DS has.

ShelaghTurner Tue 21-Jul-15 13:34:44

My eldest has just done yr2 sats and I've got only a vague understanding of the levels. Averagely 2s for yr 2, 3s for yr3 no?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now