Talk

Advanced search

To put a "This Car is *not* for sale sign* on our car

(71 Posts)
bruffin Tue 21-Jul-15 08:39:30

We inherited an old battered Nissan Micra from MIL. Its an automatic 03
plate but only has 30k on the clock. I work for a dealership and had it valued so know the value. Its off road on our drive at the moment so no tax or mot but that will be sorted out in a few weeks. We are keeping it for the dc who are having driving lessons at the moment. It has a few knocks as MIL was driving it up to a few months before she died at 87.
We keep getting people knocking on door or leaving notes wanting to buy it! confused Another note this morning. We live in a quiet cul de sac, so it's not like we get a lot of people walking past the house
Is there something about this car we dont know, was it used in a heist and someone's hidden drugs or money in it grin

Shall I start a bidding war

weaselwords Tue 21-Jul-15 08:43:36

These cars are ace! I used to have a T the micra up until 3 years ago and it ran and ran and ran. They are economical, reliable, easy to park and happy little cars. What's not to love?

YouBastardSockBalls Tue 21-Jul-15 08:44:05

Put a sign in the window -

For Sale
£7000 no offers

Someone buys it - you win
No one enquires - you win

grin

weaselwords Tue 21-Jul-15 08:44:06

T reg micra. Random kindle autocorrect.

Aramynta Tue 21-Jul-15 08:44:31

How very odd. Do you think it could be someone with a learner in the family?

Even then its strange that people are asking when there is no sign saying its up for sale!

bruffin Tue 21-Jul-15 08:54:02

I like that idea youbastardsockballs

It is not the even same people, even a bloke who knocked on the door to sell me a service contract asked if he could buy it. My company valued it at £1500 for probate and I assume because of the state its looks on the outside they think they can pick it up for scrap.

CurbsideProphet Tue 21-Jul-15 08:57:25

I have an old Nissan Micra and no one ever asks to buy it, so I vote hidden drugs or money!

bruffin Tue 21-Jul-15 09:02:47

It did have one owner before MIL or maybe MIL had a secret life as part of a dorset grey haired gangster mob, bless her.

Nabootique Tue 21-Jul-15 09:10:48

People want them for drag racing. If they see one that's a bit battered they'll knock and ask. I used to get people knocking about my knackered old Fiesta.

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Tue 21-Jul-15 09:13:42

Yep, naboo has a point. My mum sold her clapped out old Ford to a young lad who wanted it for stock car type racing, years ago.

bruffin Tue 21-Jul-15 09:22:12

Hadn't thought of that Nabootique. It's actually well looked after by MIL, full service record etc, she just had a problem turning into her drive in the end.

Nabootique Tue 21-Jul-15 09:38:41

They'll just base it on age/size/any dents, I think, and you won't get a good price for it. The ones I had were acting like they were doing me a favour hmm I'd put a "Not for sale" sign on it.

HoneyDragon Tue 21-Jul-15 09:46:18

At least they want to buy it. My poor off roaded Nissan got nicked.

Very carefully planned too. Several men were witnessed lifting her onto a flat bed truck on a Sunday.

(According to police knocking on local doors)

The only cheering aspect of the heist was the knowledge that at some point the thieves would unload the car, and smash the window. Only to discover the passenger door was actually unlocked and the keys were in the little well next to the gearstick. grin

Spartans Tue 21-Jul-15 09:49:28

We used to get this with My Fiat Coupe. I thought it was pretty rubbish, but some people really wanted it. Only had it a year and must have had about 10 people asking.

I did drive it but only occasionally. One man told me it was cruel to not drive it. confused

Nabootique Tue 21-Jul-15 09:56:15

HoneyDragon shock

penisland Tue 21-Jul-15 10:08:35

People want them for drag racing

I can assure you that nobody wants a standard 2003 Micra auto for drag racing.

RagstheInvincible Tue 21-Jul-15 10:46:08

a dorset grey haired gangster mob

So that's where the cash from the Bournemouth tea shops protection racket ended up. Big Julie and her girls have been looking for it for ages!

TalcAndTurnips Tue 21-Jul-15 10:56:03

Make tea, not love

bruffin Tue 21-Jul-15 10:58:38

I always thought the U3A was sinister, or maybe it's the gardening club, she was a very active member of both Rags

TalcAndTurnips Tue 21-Jul-15 11:09:05

Blimey - don't say that, bruffin - my father is heavily involved in U3A.

He has lots of dents on his Yaris. There is a connection. shock

1) Elderly Japanese hatchback with bodywork damage

2) Inner sanctum of U3A cell masquerading as French Conversation classes for Beginners

3) Racketeering/wholesale illegal importing of tea/steradent/Hotter footwear (link to other thread)

HoneyDragon Tue 21-Jul-15 11:17:19

I've been convinced for years that the two ladies of very beyond pensionable age that sit in our local park deal drugs out their thermoses. They always have three, which imho is suspicious .... It's clearly one for drugs, one for cash and one for tea.

Perhaps your Mum was their supplier?

HoneyDragon Tue 21-Jul-15 11:17:45

Your MIL, even.

TalcAndTurnips Tue 21-Jul-15 11:26:14

Honey - can one be of beyondpensionable age? Does it - run out?

I hope you took note of the number plates on their small Japanese hatchbacks. They would have been parked near the park gates - ridiculously small boot stuffed to the gunnels with loot and Typhoo.

thetroubleis Tue 21-Jul-15 11:27:04

It's because it's a small automatic.

They're like rocking horse poop.

bruffin Tue 21-Jul-15 11:29:07

Forget to shock at your poor little micra Honeydragon
Actually MIL did embroider some really lovely kneelers for the church, maybe they are stuffed with her ill gotten gains.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now