Projector or Smart tv

(23 Posts)
timeandtimeagain Tue 21-Jul-15 00:26:46

My dd broke my very expensive 46" smart TV screen and now I m looking into having repaired but it may cost too much. So if we may need to replace the it. But now I am considering to have a projector and a white screen above the fire place instead of big TV. I think it will be safer and save space. Do you use a TV projector in your house? Would you prefer a smart TV / TV? What is your experience?

timeandtimeagain Tue 21-Jul-15 00:30:51

Sorry about all the typos. blush it s late. Night night and will check the replies tomorrow.

fredfredgeorgejnr Tue 21-Jul-15 07:06:09

Projectors only work if you watch TV in the dark so it's bright and with enough colour depth to watch, with "big sounds" - to drown out the hum of the bulb cooling fan - and infrequently - to save the cost of replacing the bulbs.

TwinkieTwinkle Tue 21-Jul-15 07:08:16

We have both. The projector is great but the initial cost plus replacement bulbs make them very expensive. You need a good quality one to make it worth it. You will also need an amplifier.

WayneRooneysHair Tue 21-Jul-15 07:14:22

Compared to TV's projectors are a pain in the arse, how about mounting a replacement TV out of reach of your DD?

RealityCheque Tue 21-Jul-15 07:42:36

Can you claim on house insurance? Are you covered for accidental damage?

There are far too many negatives to the projector route ( many listed above). Get a TV.

PurpleCrazyHorse Tue 21-Jul-15 07:52:42

Projectors are noisy and you'll need a high lumens one to watch anything in daylight. Blubs can cost over £100 to replace and if you work out how many hours you watch TV for vs the life span of the bulb, you'll soon know the ongoing cost.

I'd buy a TV and mount out of reach, tether to the wall if on a stand, and get accidental damage coverage grin

timeandtimeagain Tue 21-Jul-15 08:17:00

May be able to claim insurance cover but worry the premium will go up. I paid £900 for the TV and it s only 20 months old! angry sad

TwinkieTwinkle Tue 21-Jul-15 08:31:54

A decent projector will cost far more than that. Ours was almost £3000. You also have the additional cost of a mount, amp, bulbs, decent blinds to keep the light out if using during the day, screen. It is seriously expensive stuff. Buy a Smart TV and mount it on the wall, far cheaper.

timeandtimeagain Tue 21-Jul-15 09:01:16

Still watching your comments.....

TwinkieTwinkle Tue 21-Jul-15 09:20:50

Additionally you'll have to buy a digital box, which you wouldn't have to buy with a smart TV.

whatsbehindthegreendoor Tue 21-Jul-15 10:55:57

We have a projector, in fact we have 2. One is a 3D projector that works in daylight as well and the other is a normal projector. I don't think I could go back to a regular TV now! They're not as expensive as some posters are making out - I think both of ours were between £300 and £400. The only issue is bulbs. The 3D projector requires bulbs that we normally have to send off for and take a couple of weeks to get delivered. For that, the bulb costs just over £90. The other bulb is around £60. I prefer the fact that we have a screen that is white (as is our wall) - this means that the TV is not the focus of the living room. Just my opinion though smile

TwinkieTwinkle Tue 21-Jul-15 11:03:43

It really does depend on the quality you want though and the size of your screen. We have had two now and one that cost £400 just wouldn't have been a decent enough quality. All the people I know who own them have spent around about what we did eventually, usually upgrading from cheaper ones that simply didn't have the quality.

whatsbehindthegreendoor Tue 21-Jul-15 11:24:46

Can't say we've had an issue with either of our projectors. Our screen's 6ft I think and the picture's good. We've had a projector of some sort since the late 90s, and we've never paid more than £400. If you shop around there are some bargains - especially on Amazon. I guess, it's each to their own though. Maybe we've just been incredibly lucky.

TwinkieTwinkle Tue 21-Jul-15 11:44:55

Depends what you are looking for, I suppose. We have expensive which are better because the size of our screen, the size of the room etc. It isn't used a lot for day to day tv, mainly used for watching films with the surround sound etc. Our own wee private cinema! I would watch about going too cheap though. I do have a friend who has had three projectors in five years. They simply didn't last very well.

TwinkieTwinkle Tue 21-Jul-15 11:48:09

www.projectorcentral.com/cheap_projectors.htm

That's quite a good read if you are thinking about buying one. The specs on the cheap ones weren't as good as they claimed. Hope you decide what you want to do OP!

RachelRagged Tue 21-Jul-15 12:54:47

Hmm

And it was necessary to mention your very expensive 46 inch smart tv because ? TV would have sufficed unless it is a stealth boast ..

Roussette Tue 21-Jul-15 13:03:37

I've got a 42 inch and proud of it! It cost £300 in a sale! Is no one allowed to mention any detail on any post now for fear of being accused of stealth boasting??

OP I think TV's are far better value than projectors because your DD won't always be of the age to break things. Just my personal opinion of course smile

RachelRagged Tue 21-Jul-15 13:27:22

It is just my opinion , I am in no position to enforce it , nor would I.

Didn't think there was a Mumsnet Police.

RachelRagged Tue 21-Jul-15 13:29:13

And it is stealth

Its like "Oh Tabitha has an audition at a very expensive large drama school" instead of simply putting "Tabitha has an audition for drama school".

Obviously just I see it in such a way , Never mind,

TwinkieTwinkle Tue 21-Jul-15 13:36:53

The OP was pointing out that their daughter broke an expensive tv and was asking whether it is worth buying another or whether a projector would be a safer bet, especially due to the cost factor. No need to be so pissy, it wasn't a stealth boast it was a genuine query. You seem a bit prickly about it to be honest. Pretty strange to come on a thread just to say that...

Roussette Tue 21-Jul-15 14:18:59

No I didn't think there was a Mumsnet police either unless you are a Special Constable?!

I think the 'expensive' part of the first post is very relevant in the discussion about TV's versus projectors.

timeandtimeagain Tue 21-Jul-15 21:22:50

Thanks for the link twinkle. Also thanks all the responses. I will do some reseach on both tv andprojector prices and qualities.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now