Talk

Advanced search

About weirdos knocking on my door

(76 Posts)
Loletta Mon 20-Jul-15 22:34:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DoesItReallyMatter Mon 20-Jul-15 22:40:15

Try a 'no cold callers' sign on your door. Once or twice a year someone ignores mine but mostly I don't get any cold callers. I think it depends on where you live though as to how successful the signs are.

RealityCheque Mon 20-Jul-15 22:42:29

They sound like JWs. Politely ask to be put on their 'do not call list'. They won't then come back for at least two years.

woodhill Mon 20-Jul-15 22:42:38

I got a man with a portfolio of paintings, please go away, I don't want to hear it.

FarFromAnyRoad Mon 20-Jul-15 22:44:15

That does sound like a weird one. Perhaps you should keep a small sign handy near the door in case she comes back. It should read
Fucked if I know. Was rather hoping you could tell me
grin

MrsBojingles Mon 20-Jul-15 22:44:39

Sounds like JWs. Try my mums approach and offer Anglican prayers. They scuttle off faster than a very fast thing then.

Loletta Mon 20-Jul-15 22:45:08

crustsaway Mon 20-Jul-15 22:46:21

I say to them "Did I ask you to call?" They obviously say no then I say, "Well bugger off then"!

I don't care why or what they are promoting, charities the lot....

SOD OFF and how dare you!

JuniorMint Mon 20-Jul-15 22:52:17

I had a guy yesterday selling air fresheners hmm

Redglitter Mon 20-Jul-15 22:55:51

I'm one of these people who appal so many MNers. I have my intercom switched off at all time unless I'm expecting a visitor or a delivery.

I just don't entertain cold callers at all.

CatthiefKeith Mon 20-Jul-15 22:56:22

I get people knocking to tell me the cat is at the door. Yes I fucking know he is he is sitting in the sun. If he wants to come in he will come round the back and walk through the open back door so please, just fuck off and stop bothering me.angry

WendyTorrance Mon 20-Jul-15 22:59:14

<memorises crustsaway's response for future doorstep botherers>grin

cocobean2805 Mon 20-Jul-15 23:00:30

I usually keep a recent church magazine handy, try to hand it to them, its like trying to give a vampire some garlic. Usually stops visits, at least for a while. I used to go out with a JW, they had no chance of converting me but were very kind people, its part of their faith to try and bring people in, annoying as balls though when they knock on unexpectedly. I don't answer the door after 7pm, DH works nights and I'm often alone.

Anecdotally though, I did once answer the door in my bra and knickers to JW once though. Getting ready for a night out, assumed it was my friend, opened the door and they beat a fast retreat! They never came back, so in my experience, using Jesus and/or partial nudity works a treat!

gobbin Mon 20-Jul-15 23:01:33

Today I had a rather dishevelled man in his 50s (approximately) touting a tatty polypocket of dog-eared leaflets and sporting a faded, ancient ID badge who mumbled something about diseases like MS.

"No thanks, we don't do this sort of thing on the doorstep." Off he shuffled to the next house.

However, this was better than the utility company whose rep stuck his foot in the gap between my door and threshold at one point so I couldn't close it on him! This was after me telling him "Which bit of No are you not understanding?" I told him that if he didn't shift his foot RIGHT NOW he'd have the police on his case. He was awful!

BawbagBiggins Mon 20-Jul-15 23:02:29

I hate cold callers - especially the ones that lie and use the opening line of 'I'm not selling anything'.

Had a guy at the door the other night though, chucking it down and he looked right miserable. When I answered the door with my best withering look, he actually said 'I'll not lie to you, I'm selling stuff' it was such a refreshing change. I asked him if he had any of that Astonish grub remover - he did - I handed over some cash - he left, most pleasant bit of shopping I've done for a while grin

avocadotoast Mon 20-Jul-15 23:03:22

Not as weird as the time a woman knocked at my door in the pissing rain, handful of change, asking if she could buy a cigarette from me... (I don't smoke and had never seen her before in my life!)

Loletta Mon 20-Jul-15 23:05:04

Lurkedforever1 Mon 20-Jul-15 23:09:15

Yanbu. I usually tell them I'm a Druid/ satanist/ occultist etc and ask for their home addresses so I can call round to disturb them and bleat my religious beliefs at them. We get more young American (Mormon?) bible bashers than jw though.
As long as they leave after I've politely said not interested, the door to door sales ones for windows and utilities don't personally annoy me, it can hardly be their dream choice of job.

achieve15 Mon 20-Jul-15 23:09:29

YANBU

I think cold-calling should be banned.

WhoisLucasHood Mon 20-Jul-15 23:10:04

I love my door sign.
Please note we do not buy at the door and do not wish to hear the religious and political views of others.
Stops them all. We has JWs calling regularly before this and since we've had none.

GlitzAndGigglesx Mon 20-Jul-15 23:16:47

The JWs round here are getting brave and approaching people. I had one try and speak his jargon to me so I reminded him if I wanted to join I would approach them! Do my nut in

Skiptonlass Mon 20-Jul-15 23:25:14

Last one of those we had I launched into a full diatribe on how "yes no or maybe" was not an effective polling question because two of the tree answers effectively point to a positive answer - thus making it a leading question which was, I assumed, entirely their aim because ...

...five minutes of that and they were politely backing away with a look of fear in their eyes. smile

Not quite as scary as the random guy I had a couple of years back who, when I asked him what he wanted said "....uh, nothing, I didn't think you were in..." (Yes, I did report the dodgy looking guy who was clearly scoping out flats to burgle.)

Seriouslyffs Mon 20-Jul-15 23:34:45

Meh.
I say a prayer with JWs and take the Watchtower- I rather like it. It takes 45 secs tops.
I dot hae toddlers or babies to disturb though. I also give to sponsored whatever collectors but I don't buy at the door as it's always too expensive or knocked off. We had a man welling fireworks from the boot once!

Andrewofgg Tue 21-Jul-15 06:13:16

achieve15 Banned how? Sure, you can pass a law against it but it won't enforce itself. The JW types will feel "the call" and the poor desperate sods with something to sell won't stop. There is generally somebody running them who won't take No for an answer.

The only defence is self-defence - chains and spy-holes. If you are not satisfied don't open the door.

LumpySpacedPrincess Tue 21-Jul-15 07:26:00

I say a prayer with JWs and take the Watchtower- I rather like it. It takes 45 secs tops.

Nay, nay and thrice nay! You are now on the maybe list and will get more cold calling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now