Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be annoyed at how DP handed this?

(22 Posts)
Nativity3 Mon 20-Jul-15 21:28:14

So cross with him right now although I could be hormonal and over reacting. He just broke of those cfl lightbulbs while tying to put lampshade up. It's in an internal hallway where the area can't be ventilated. I have moved to a room with an open window as I think you're not meant to go near for 15 mins.
He has shouted at me and told me I'm stupid and proceeded to shout at me to bring him things.

He picked it all up and then used the Hoover to get all the glass. Does that mean the Hoover is now not safe to use on the rest of the house? angry (need to use it tomorrow as we are having the house valued).

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 20-Jul-15 21:30:52

He's buggered it up. www2.epa.gov/cfl/cleaning-broken-cfl Sorry. Is he normally like this?

lucidlady Mon 20-Jul-15 21:34:24

Show him this www.earth911.com/home-garden/broken-cfl-clean-up/2/

Nativity3 Mon 20-Jul-15 21:34:39

Yes I'm afraid so. Somehow everything is my fault! It's like having another child. He spilt paint on the floor earlier because I wasn't holding the pot for him correctly. confused

Todayisnottheday Mon 20-Jul-15 21:37:59

What if I can't follow all the recommended steps? or I cleaned up a CFL but didn't do it properly?
Don't be alarmed; these steps are only precautions that reflect best practices for cleaning up a broken CFL. Keep in mind that CFLs contain a very small amount of mercury -- less than 1/100th of the amount in a mercury thermometer. <from link above>

Don't panic. A single bulb once is unlikely to be any problem. Imo you are over reacting. Ditch the vacuum bag and stop worrying.

Nativity3 Mon 20-Jul-15 21:39:17

It's not a vacuum bag it's a cylinder so can't get rid!

Todayisnottheday Mon 20-Jul-15 21:40:19

So wash the cylinder in hot soapy water and any filters.

SurlyCue Mon 20-Jul-15 21:45:03

What is it you are angry about?

Nativity3 Mon 20-Jul-15 21:48:30

That he didn't handle it properly and shouted at me when I tried to tell him otherwise.

SurlyCue Mon 20-Jul-15 21:51:12

When you say he didnt hadle it properly what do you mean? He shouldnt have shouted of course, is there a chance you shouted at him? You did say you were cross and there is a chance you are overreacting. Were you both shouting?

TheRealAmyLee Mon 20-Jul-15 21:52:39

Wash out all the bits of vaccum you can and dont panic.

Nativity3 Mon 20-Jul-15 21:54:29

What are the risks of standing underneath the bulb when it breaks? It was the mercury part that broke too annoyingly. What is the risk if you then seek fresh air?

SurlyCue Mon 20-Jul-15 21:58:09

Im not really understanding your issue, you say you are angry with him for handling it wrong but you dont seem to know how to have handled it yourself confused he didnt break it on purpose, it was an accident, why are you angry with him for not anticipating and knowing how to handle something that you wouldnt know either? I think youre being unfair but i'm sensing a history.

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 20-Jul-15 22:00:19

Possibly she's angry because she was called stupid. By someone, ironically, doing something stupid.

SurlyCue Mon 20-Jul-15 22:03:02

Yes that is what i am trying to clarify mrsTP if it was that specifically or the whole lot because OP was saying "the way he handled it" and i wasnt sure if she just meant him shouting at her or the whole thing.

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 20-Jul-15 22:05:56

I am imagining (in my head!) that he broke it, she said, "I think you're supposed to leave the room", she did, then he shouted things at her, ignored the warning of possible issues and went ahead with his way. Of course, I might be off.

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 20-Jul-15 22:06:30

Hence the anger is at a) his ignoring her and b) his calling her stupid.

cate16 Mon 20-Jul-15 22:09:42

Well I'd wash all washable parts of hoover, then switch it on outside in garden and leave it running for 5/10 mins.

Nativity3 Mon 20-Jul-15 22:14:52

The bit that's still really annoying me is he keeps saying that there's no risk from the mercury angry

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 20-Jul-15 22:22:47

Well let him lick it off the floor then.

Topseyt Mon 20-Jul-15 22:32:06

He shouldn't have called you stupid. Were you perhaps hanging over his shoulder a bit too much and he snapped?

I wouldn't really think that there is too much risk from the mercury. Just use ventilated rooms as much as possible. I would just empty the vacuum cleaner and that would be that.

I'd wager a bet that plenty of these types of accidents have happened before without dire consequences.

SurlyCue Mon 20-Jul-15 22:35:24

Well from what is quoted above it does seem like the risk is tiny. Is it a case of both of you deciding the other is wrong and refusing to actually find out the facts?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now