Talk

Advanced search

People who join in when you're telling your DC off

(9 Posts)
TheHouseOnBellSt Mon 20-Jul-15 11:30:59

Have you experienced this? I've had it with my MIL and now with a friend of mine.

It usually happens when I'm warning the DC to behave so..."Girls...please stop jumping on that sofa immediately before someone's hurt or something gets broken"

I'll get half way through the warning when my friend begins SPEAKING OVER ME but saying basically the SAME FRIGGING THING!!

"Girls you need to stop doing that...."

Wtf?

She did it yesterday and it just came back to me....I used to say nothing but I had to speak up so I stopped addressing my DC and turned to my friend and said "You don't need to join in when I'm parenting, I have it under control...now I'll start again...." and I told my DC what I was telling them without interruption.

WHAT IS THIS!? Why do people do it? Well....MIL and friend...separately. I had to tell mil too and she's stopped now.

vvviola Mon 20-Jul-15 11:34:12

My MIL does it too. And one of my oldest friends. They are like chalk and cheese personality wise and in every other way except this.

I don't know why they do it, but YANBU, it drives me utterly crazy too.

MIL does it to DH too (along with a running commentary about all the things he needs to do - change nappies, wash hands, put suncream on, as though he has never looked after any child in his life let alone been practically a SAHD for the past 6 months). Thankfully it's only over the phone these days as we moved away.

InNeedOfABreak Mon 20-Jul-15 11:37:10

Yanbu my mother usually does this but her style of parenting is more threats of stop that or else-very different to what I say and I end up having to stop and tell her that what she's said wont happen and I'm dealing with it...really annoying!

Roobix04 Mon 20-Jul-15 11:37:18

My dsis does this. We encourage people to tell dd off if we're not there and she's doing something she shouldn't but she joins in when me or dp are telling her. It overwhelms dd and it's a bit overkill. I keep stressing she only needs one person telling her.

jopickles Mon 20-Jul-15 11:37:52

my mum does this to me all the time drives me insane

Dr0pThePirate Mon 20-Jul-15 11:40:35

That sounds so strange! I can't imagine doing that myself and can totally see why it would irritate you. The only person I wouldn't have a problem "joining in" would be DP as he would be backing me up. Maybe that's what your mil thinks she's doing confused

LittleDecoRing Mon 20-Jul-15 11:40:37

My four year old niece does it confused

FenellaFellorick Mon 20-Jul-15 11:40:44

I suppose they think they are supporting you.

TheHouseOnBellSt Mon 20-Jul-15 11:43:08

Yes they must think they're backing me up....but honestly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now