Talk

Advanced search

To think this is abnormal driving behaviour

(19 Posts)
Welshmaenad Sun 19-Jul-15 20:06:51

And lose my rag a little bit?

Heading out of our village this morning - we're rural so access is via a windy road along the side of a mountain. Am tailgated by some arse in a silver Lexus, despite going at a reasonable speed.

He overtakes me on a straight stretch - I'm doing about 50 - then cuts back in front of me, SLAMS his brakes on along with his hazards and forces me to do an emergency stop. After a few seconds I gather myself, go to drive around him, by which point he's out of the car, blocking my path and waving his arms at me whilst shouting aggressively.

His problem? I have a brake light out.

I was well aware of this and was on my way to halfords to have it replaced. In addition to the brake lights I also have a lighted bar above the rear windscreen so was still very visible when braking.

He frightened the shit out of me and I may have got a bit shirty with him, advising him to worry about his own fucking driving instead of policing my brake lights before driving off, but it shook me up a bit, I didn't know why the hell he was shouting at me.

WIBU to be arsey with him and AIBU in thinking this is bizarre and threatening behaviour over an outed brake light on someone else's car?

UncertainSmile Sun 19-Jul-15 20:09:47

Of course you're not being unreasonable. I'd have thumped him.

Melawen Sun 19-Jul-15 20:13:10

How terrifying! I've been known to get out of the car at traffic lights to let people know brake lights are out, but what you describe is beyond the pale.

Topseyt Sun 19-Jul-15 20:13:40

He sounds like an arse.

We all can get the odd light bulb go on our cars, and going to get it replaced is perfectly reasonable.

I would consider informing the police about the incident, as it sounds quite threatening.

Sirzy Sun 19-Jul-15 20:15:00

I would have been tempted to take his details and report it to the non emergency police number. Very dangerous and wrong to intimidate someone like that

SiobhanSharpe Sun 19-Jul-15 20:19:18

He tailgated you even though you had a brake light out??? Complete nutter.
And then gave you grief anout it? Good god, if I a/overtook , then b/stopped in front of every car I see with a missing brake light I would never actually get anywhere. Was he the brake light police?

YeOldTrout Sun 19-Jul-15 20:23:33

frightening & pushy but he may have a twisted idea he's being a good citizen. Glad you're ok.

BreconBeBuggered Sun 19-Jul-15 20:39:45

Man's a prick. Hope you got that brake light sorted.

Welshmaenad Sun 19-Jul-15 20:49:50

I wondered that Trout - I text the local taxi driver the other day yo tell him he had a brake light out, I'm a kindly soul - but why approach a Good Samaritan mission like you're going to attack someone?? He was so shouty and aggressive! Bellend.

OttiliaVonBCup Sun 19-Jul-15 20:53:01

There is special place in hell for people who tailgate.
Extra hot and very slow.

Salmotrutta Sun 19-Jul-15 20:53:06

I'd report this.

You don't cut people up, force an emergency stop and shout aggressively at someone to tell them they have a broken light!!

Arse.

Welshmaenad Sun 19-Jul-15 20:53:47

I wish I'd got his reg number but I just wanted to get away.

SpearmintLino Sun 19-Jul-15 20:58:20

Hate to say it, but I think he acted like this simply because you're a woman. I very much doubt he'd have done the same to a male driver.

SpearmintLino Sun 19-Jul-15 20:59:10

(Although maybe I'm being sexist by assuming you're a woman!)

Welshmaenad Sun 19-Jul-15 21:01:47

I was a woman last time I checked, you are correct! I also look a fair bit younger than I am. I don't want to incur wrath and yells of ageism but he was a good thirty years my senior. I think maybe he felt it was his duty to pull me into line confused

SpearmintLino Sun 19-Jul-15 21:14:54

That still makes him an arse, though! Don't let him get to you, he was the one in the wrong. thanks

bigbumtheory Sun 19-Jul-15 21:15:19

I would wonder if he was lying and hoping you'd bump him so he could claim for whiplash, damage etc. There's a lot of that behaviour going on on certain roads at the moment, it's all people trying to scam money out of others.

When I've seen people with lights out, I've flashed them until they've seen, pulled over safely and then I've told them. I would report him, it sounds very much more like possible insurance scamming through creating an accident.

Caboodle Tue 21-Jul-15 19:47:02

Yes, I thought 'smash for cash' too. Glad he didn't manage to force an accident. flowers

Egosumquisum Tue 21-Jul-15 20:06:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now