Talk

Advanced search

To think 830 on a sunday

(38 Posts)
DoeEyedNear Sun 19-Jul-15 08:47:31

Is not the time to have scaffolding dismantled without first prewarning your neighbours?

My dc is feeling rotten and has been struggling to sleep this weekend but was actually sleeping in. Not any more they're not!

Howcanitbe Sun 19-Jul-15 08:53:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DoeEyedNear Sun 19-Jul-15 08:55:12

Had I known I'd have shipped them to the grandparents for the night

Lottiedoubtie Sun 19-Jul-15 08:55:27

Yanbu that sort of noise job should be done during the week- or in exceptional prewarned circumstances at a decent hour on a weekend - certainly not before 9am!

LazyLouLou Sun 19-Jul-15 09:39:58

The scaffolders will be working to a license as they will have to block/close a pavement and/or road as they put up and take down the scaffolding. It will have an end date and specific time on it.

The council may have decided that Saturday and Monday are less desirable days and, as is normal, that scaffolding must be down before the road and pavement are in regular use.

Blame the council, not the scaffolders. I doubt they really enjoy being at work early on a Sunday, especially with people glaring at them!

SirChenjin Sun 19-Jul-15 09:44:11

Yeah, those poor sensitive souls - scaffolders tend to get very upset when people 'glare' at them grin

8.30 is very early on a Sunday - it's a bit much not to warn neighbours at the very least. Not sure if there are any noise regs though.

LazyLouLou Sun 19-Jul-15 09:48:38

I can confirm that they do, SirChenjin smile

thunderbird69 Sun 19-Jul-15 10:01:17

I don't think 8.30 is early at all. Maybe that's just me, I don't do lie ins

MayPolist Sun 19-Jul-15 10:57:48

I don't think 8.30 is early.What on earth are you waffling on about scaffolders needing a licence, and closing a road???

milkysmum Sun 19-Jul-15 11:00:35

I don't think 8.30 is early really. But maybe that's because I have a 3 year old that that has usually been up for hours by then anyway!

LazyLouLou Sun 19-Jul-15 11:01:56

Waffling? Just explaining how scaffolders work.

www.gov.uk/scaffolding-rules

SirChenjin Sun 19-Jul-15 11:02:23

Not the ones I know Lazy - they tend to be a robust lot grin

LazyLouLou Sun 19-Jul-15 11:03:52

Yes, they do get pissed off robust when recounting sad tales of pissed off parents glaring at them when they are "just doing the fucking job" grin

BellsaRinging Sun 19-Jul-15 11:04:17

To me 8:30 is fine. It must be a balancing act between waking people up and causing least inconvenience to those using the pavement/passing by.

saoirse31 Sun 19-Jul-15 11:04:24

so you got woken up at half eight.... I think you'll live without any long term effects.

GiddyOnZackHunt Sun 19-Jul-15 11:05:19

They might need licences in some areas where the scaffolding is covering a town pavement.
Council not involved when our scaffolding was put up in a residential area. It was entirely on our property.

SirChenjin Sun 19-Jul-15 11:07:19

Oh well, I'm sure they will survive the glaaaaares grin. Makes a change from the wolfwhistles and sexist comments from their end I guess.

LazyLouLou Sun 19-Jul-15 11:19:58

Wolf whistles? Sexist comments? How very 1990s smile

There's a Code of Conduct, don't you know? grin

DoeEyedNear Sun 19-Jul-15 11:23:21

If you read my posts saorise you'll see its not me that I'm concerned about losing sleep. It's my poorly dc.

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Sun 19-Jul-15 11:23:47

8.30 am isn't early in our house, even on a Sunday. By then we're usually out and about. Can't bear to waste the weekend lying in bed.

Never heard about the licence thing though. Our scaffolders a couple of years ago just got on with it I think.

SirChenjin Sun 19-Jul-15 11:24:48

A Code of Conduct, you say? My goodness, it's a shame more of the 1990s dinosaurs aren't aware of it smile

LazyLouLou Sun 19-Jul-15 11:35:48

A license is required for any job that touches the public highway, Middle. If it doesn't then you can hire any old cowboy any firm you like. Ours blocked the pavement for a month. You could walk though but not push a pram, bike, shopping trolley through.

Our foul mouthed, sexist 1990s dinosaurs, aka scaffolders, came off the scaff to help a mum with a double buggy and a walking toddler negotiate the pavement. As they said "Bye love" she turned and screamed "Fuck off, I'm reporting you wankers". They did look quite perplexed. Maybe they were being far too friendly grin

SirChenjin Sun 19-Jul-15 12:03:18

I'm sure they were perplexed - but probably not as much as the many women over the years who have put up with their collective sexist, obscene comments disguised as 'friendly banter' smile

LazyLouLou Sun 19-Jul-15 12:09:28

To be utterly fair, yes, the 2 older blokes probably have... a lot! They still are a bit shock. But the 3 younger ones, the ones who leapt off to help the woman, are far too aware and police their dads really well smile

SirChenjin Sun 19-Jul-15 12:11:55

That's good to hear smile - scaffolders don't have the best reputation in the building trade, sadly, and they are probably due for a bit of modernisation grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now